Changing source erases previous translation
Thread poster: nivaca
nivaca
nivaca
Colombia
Local time: 03:42
Oct 9, 2019

I usually have to edit/correct the source files while translating, as I notice some problems in them. (I'm translating transcriptions of medieval manuscripts.)
However, if I change anything at all in a segment (even a comma!), OmegaT seems to consider it an altogether new segment and erases the translation.
I have two questions, accordingly:

1. How does OmegaT identify or determine that a segment has changed (a hash, perhaps)?
2. Can this behavior be avoided?
... See more
I usually have to edit/correct the source files while translating, as I notice some problems in them. (I'm translating transcriptions of medieval manuscripts.)
However, if I change anything at all in a segment (even a comma!), OmegaT seems to consider it an altogether new segment and erases the translation.
I have two questions, accordingly:

1. How does OmegaT identify or determine that a segment has changed (a hash, perhaps)?

Thanks.

Nicolas

[Edited at 2019-10-09 18:18 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:42
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Any character Oct 9, 2019

OmegaT compares segments considering all characters. Thus, the behavior you describe is normal. You can't do anything unless you hack the code.

nivaca
nivaca
Colombia
Local time: 03:42
TOPIC STARTER
Nice feature though Oct 9, 2019

Thanks. It would be a nice feature, though.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nivica Oct 10, 2019

nivaca wrote:

I have always thought that OmegaT compares the actual text with the actual text. But hey, I'm just guessing.

No, if you change the source text, then the source text is different from what it was before, and so OmegaT no longer regards the original match from the TM as a 100% exact match. However, OmegaT should still show you a fuzzy match when you visit that segment again. If you're worried that some segments will be left untranslated in the end, use Ctrl+U to jump to untranslated segments.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Changing source erases previous translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »