Thread poster: Graham BRIDGE
Graham BRIDGE
Graham BRIDGE
France
French to English
+ ...
Dec 9, 2019

Hello everybody,

Just a quickie I think but I can't find info on my question.

I use a couple of my own TMXs placed in a specific folder which work fine with OmegaT. I understand that any new translation segments are not stored in these TMXs but in the OmegaT's project_save.tmx file.
However, when I translate a new file with a segment that I have already translated in OmegaT, it seems that OmegaT doesn't suggest that translation (or a similar one) from its owm tmx
... See more
Hello everybody,

Just a quickie I think but I can't find info on my question.

I use a couple of my own TMXs placed in a specific folder which work fine with OmegaT. I understand that any new translation segments are not stored in these TMXs but in the OmegaT's project_save.tmx file.
However, when I translate a new file with a segment that I have already translated in OmegaT, it seems that OmegaT doesn't suggest that translation (or a similar one) from its owm tmx file.

Is this normal operation for OmegaT? Do I have to merge project_save with my own tmx or copy it to my tmx folder and rename it? This seems a bit laborious to me.

Thanks in advance,

Graham

OmegaT version : 4.3.1
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:05
Russian to English
+ ...
copy it Dec 9, 2019

You have to put the desired legacy tmx into the TM folder in your current job.

Graham BRIDGE
Graham BRIDGE
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
project_save.tmx Dec 9, 2019

Thank you Susan! I'll check that tomorrow.
best regards,
Graham

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Graham Dec 9, 2019

Graham BRIDGE wrote:
I use a couple of my own TMXs placed in a specific folder which work fine with OmegaT.

Yes, OmegaT treats all TMX files that are in a specific folder as if they are one, large TM. By default, when you create a project, the subfolder for such TMX files is /tm/ within the project folder, but you can set the "TM folder" as any other folder, in the project settings.

I understand that any new translation segments are not stored in these TMXs but in the OmegaT's project_save.tmx file.

That is true -- while the translation is ongoing, new segments are stored in the project_save.tmx file. Every time you "create target files", OmegaT creates three additional TMX files that contain all the translations that occur in those files (they are named projectname-level1.tmx, projectname-level2.tmx, and projectname-omegat.tmx). So, at the end of every translation project, you can "create target files" one last time, and then copy the "projectname-omegat.tmx" TMX file to your main TM folder. Then that TM will be available for future projects.

However, when I translate a new file with a segment that I have already translated in OmegaT, it seems that OmegaT doesn't suggest that translation (or a similar one) from its own TMX file.

Do you create a fresh, new project in OmegaT (with a new project folder) for every new file or every new project that you translate in OmegaT, or do you keep using the same, single project folder and simply replace the source files in the /source/ folder each time?

If you keep using the same project folder (which is not wrong but not the way you're supposed to do it), then OmegaT should give you matches from the project_save.tmx. But if you create a new project folder for each new translation, then you must remember to copy the projectname-omegat.tmx file from the previous project into the new project's /tm/ subfolder (or whichever folder you have set up as its TM folder).

Do I have to merge project_save with my own TMX or copy it to my TMX folder and rename it?

There is no need to merge TMX files, but there is a need to copy the finalised TMX files from a finished project to the /tm/ subfolder of the new project (or to the global TM folder that you use to store your TMX files in), unless you keep reusing the same project folders over and over again for all subsequent jobs.

[Edited at 2019-12-09 22:09 GMT]

Graham BRIDGE
Graham BRIDGE
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
project_save.tmx Dec 10, 2019

Thank you for the info Sam!

Eva Gustavsson
Eva Gustavsson  Identity Verified
German to Swedish
+ ...
hundreds of tm:s? Mar 17, 2020

Does this mean that I will have hundreds of tm files after a few years with the client that sends me about ten new source files every second week?

And how about using memories from other clients? In Deja Vu I had one big memory for all, which admittedly is turning a bit clumsy after many years - as I could not know from the beginning which clients would be returning for years and which would not.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Eva Mar 17, 2020

Eva Gustavsson wrote:
Does this mean that I will have hundreds of TM files after a few years with the client that sends me about ten new source files every second week?

Yes. The number of files doesn't matter to OmegaT -- it reads them all as if they are one "translation memory". However, if you prefer to have fewer TM files, then you must merge them. OmegaT does not have a built-in TMX merge feature AFAIK, but here is a thread with some options.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Machine translation of memoirs Mar 18, 2020

Graham BRIDGE wrote:

I use a couple of my own TMXs placed in a specific folder which work fine with OmegaT.

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-03/17/en/00.html

Machine translation of memoirs

János (John / Johan) Oscar Plesch

01 Machine translation of TXT and PDF
02 Translation of TXTs
03 Translation of PDFs

This presentation shows machine translation of English (TXT) and German (printed hardcopy-PDF-DOCX-TXT-DOCX) editions of the same book.
Names of TMX serves for navigation to PDF and post-editing of OCRed source text.

Previous presentation:

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-03/14/cs/00.html (TMX, projects, OmegaT)

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-03/14/en/00.html (English Index: peoples, names, places, ...) with some links to resources

Milan

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not necessarily Mar 19, 2020

Eva Gustavsson wrote:

Does this mean that I will have hundreds of tm files after a few years with the client…

You can keep a single ongoing project for the client and have only one project TM.

You are the one who determines the way to organize TM files. You can pile them up in a single directory or distribute in subdirectories (by language pair/field/client, whatever). If necessary, you can copy/move/delete/symlink files on-the-fly without re-loading projects.

Francis Edabo
Francis Edabo
Uganda
Tmx creation and usage Mar 22, 2023

Hello!
I am seeking guidance on how to use a tmx file created outside OmegaT in OmegaT. I tried putting it in the TM folder but it only recognizes the source language in fuzzy matches other than the target language.
Some help would be much appreciated.

frytex
frytex
English to Polish
+ ...
tmx file created outside OmegaT May 7, 2023

Francis Edabo wrote:

Hello!
I am seeking guidance on how to use a tmx file created outside OmegaT in OmegaT. I tried putting it in the TM folder but it only recognizes the source language in fuzzy matches other than the target language.
Some help would be much appreciated.

I don't fully understand but the languages in the external tmx file must be the same as in your project properties. the same means that it wouldn't match if the 'version' of the language is not the same (e.g. en_GB in tmx and en_US in project properties - this will not work). and the direction of translation also has to be the same - but I think you know that.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

project_save.tmx

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »