plamen
Local time: 13:28
English to Bulgarian
Apr 3, 2020

Hi,
Recently I've stuck into the following problem:
How to transfer whole project from Transifex platform into OmegaT ver. 4.3.2
There is a download option in Transifex, offering tmx file
However, OmegaT seems don't recognize it, or I'm doing something wrong.
I've installed Okapi filters as plugin in OmegaT already, but not sure do they work or not.
In short - is it possible tmx file to be used and how?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Plamen Apr 3, 2020

plamen wrote:
There is a download option in Transifex, offering tmx file

I'm registered with a few projects on Transifex, but I don't see the option to download a TMX file. Is this something only the PM can do? Or, what are the steps (where to click) to download the TMX file?

However, OmegaT seems don't recognize it, or I'm doing something wrong. ... In short - is it possible TMX file to be used ...?

OmegaT should be able to use the TMX file, yes. You create a project according to the instructions that you see when you run OmegaT, and then you copy the TMX file to the /tm/ subfolder inside the project folder. Is that what you have done?

plamen
plamen
English to Bulgarian
TOPIC STARTER
How to download tmx Apr 3, 2020

Open Project -> Languages in Transifex.
On top right corner you should see three buttons: 'Get TMX', 'Glossary', 'Request Language'.
You will receive shortly email with link for download.
Suppose it is something new, before it was ZIP file and still not well documented.

And yes - downloaded file was placed in 'tm' folder inside OmegaT.
I've tried also 'tm\auto' without avail.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
External TMX in subfolder /tm/auto/ Apr 5, 2020

plamen wrote:

Hi,
Recently I've stuck into the following problem:
How to transfer whole project from Transifex platform = I do not use it, I do not know it
However, OmegaT seems don't recognize it, or I'm doing something wrong.
I've installed Okapi filters as plugin in OmegaT (Why? For XliFF?).
In short - is it possible tmx file to be used and how?

Hi Plamen,

try download and put into sub-folder unzipped TMX (EN-GB, CS-CZ, BG-BG)

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-04/06/zip/342695-en-cs-bg.zip

Check your language cod in OmegaT project.

Milan

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Plamen Apr 5, 2020

plamen wrote:
Open Project -> Languages in Transifex.
On top right corner you should see three buttons: 'Get TMX', 'Glossary', 'Request Language'.

Aah, I see it. It's a "pro" feature (I'm not sure how needs to be "pro"... me or the project manager).

tmx transifex

The fact that you can (or must) download the TMX file before you select a language leads me to suspect that it may be a multilanguage TMX file. I'm not 100% sure but it is my understanding that OmegaT can handle multilanguage TMX files just fine. Then, of course, the language codes used in OmegaT need to be the same as the language codes in the TMX file.

[Edited at 2020-04-05 11:52 GMT]

plamen
plamen
English to Bulgarian
TOPIC STARTER
some tags different Apr 6, 2020

@Milan Condak
Unzipped and copied into \tm folder, but still I get this: "Your project does not contain any files in a supported file format". And project file dialog window shows:
Total number of segments: 0

In Project/Properties I have:
Source Files Language : EN-GB
Translated Files Language: BG-BG

File locations seems OK.

This is the header of transifex exported file:
(left and right angle brackets replaced with
... See more
@Milan Condak
Unzipped and copied into \tm folder, but still I get this: "Your project does not contain any files in a supported file format". And project file dialog window shows:

File locations seems OK.

(left and right angle brackets replaced with '--' only for this post)

--tmx version="1.4"--
--header--
adminlang="en"
srclang="en"
creationtool="Transifex.com"
creationtoolversion="1.3.0devel"
creationdate="20200401T195439Z"
datatype="plaintext"
segtype="paragraph"
o-tmf="Transifex.com"
--/header--

However setting Source Files Language with 'en' doesn't make any change.
Collapse

Milan Condak
English to Czech
Source file Apr 6, 2020

plamen wrote:

@Milan Condak

File locations seems OK.

(left and right angle brackets replaced with '--' only for this post)

--tmx version="1.4"--
--header--
adminlang="en"
srclang="en"
datatype="plaintext"
segtype="paragraph"
o-tmf="Transifex.com"
--/header--

Do you have any English file in folder /source/.

Save file from my web and put it to folder /source/:

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-04/06/en/342695_en.txt

Milan

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Plamen Apr 6, 2020

plamen wrote:
"Your project does not contain any files in a supported file format".
And project file dialog window shows:

Oh, well then it means the problem might not be with the TMX file, but with the fact that OmegaT doesn't recognise the source file format. Tell us: what files (i.e. file types and their file extensions) do you have in the /source/ folder?

Milan Condak
English to Czech
...looks or is? Apr 6, 2020

plamen wrote:

File locations seems OK.

--tmx version="1.4"--
--header--
adminlang="en"
srclang="en"
datatype="plaintext"
segtype="paragraph"
o-tmf="Transifex.com"
--/header--

I do not see a comparison. In my TMX is one TU with 3 TUV.

plamen
plamen
пламък

2 TUV match with your project:

I do not see a body of your exported TMX, i.e. TUV items. i.e. full data of one TU with target cod.
I see in the header srclang="en" this not match with EN-GB.

Your statement: I've installed Okapi filters as plugin in OmegaT already, but not sure do they work or not.
My Q was: Why? For filtering XLIF?
OmegaT does not need filters for reading TMX.

Milan

plamen
plamen
English to Bulgarian
TOPIC STARTER
still trying Apr 7, 2020

Thank you for response.
Some clarifications:
I am new to OmegaT, so I do not know what to expect exactly.
I have nothing in source folder.
@Milan - when I copy your file '342695_en.txt' into source folder, OmegaT recognize it.
I want to use OmegaT for finishing translating tmx file (whole project) downloaded from Transifex.
Regarding Okapi filters - already removed, but no any positive results so far.

Milan Condak
English to Czech
Extract source text from TMX or to use othet CAT Apr 7, 2020

plamen wrote:

Plamen,

put source as TXT into folder /source/ and OmegaT will create TMX from your translation (or from other TMX or MT).

Extract source text from TMX.

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-03/29/en/06.html

It is easy (after understanding and repetition).
--
Virtaal: see http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-03/29/en/02.html

You can open TMX in Virtaal and edit text in Bulgariann.

Source English text is protected against editing.

Success!

Milan

[Edited at 2020-04-07 22:38 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Plamen Apr 8, 2020

plamen wrote:
I am new to OmegaT, so I do not know what to expect exactly.
I want to use OmegaT for finishing translating tmx file (whole project) downloaded from Transifex.

Okay, well, we apologise for just assuming that the "Learn to use OmegaT in 5 minutes!" screen that pops up whenever OmegaT is run, would be sufficient to explain how OmegaT works, how translation memory works, and what the relationship is between source files and translation memory.

1. You can't translate or edit TMX files in OmegaT

OmegaT can't edit or translate TMX files. You can't put a partially translated (or untranslated) TMX file into OmegaT, do some translations, and then end up with a more fully translated version of that same TMX file.

Some CAT tools out there can actually edit or translate TMX files, but OmegaT can't (yet). If you are a very technical person, you may be able to use one of the Okapi XML filters inside OmegaT, but you'll have to customise it heavily, and that is ubergeek.

You can edit TMX files directly in Virtaal, but note: Virtaal is abandonware and not 100% compliant with the most popular modern interpretations of the TMX file format standard. Still, I find that editing TMX files in Virtaal usually produces acceptable results. There are also other TMX editors out there.

OmegaT can use TMX files only as a reference (i.e. as a database of previous translations). In fact, that is how TMX is meant to be used. TMX was never meant as a file format that can be partially translated (or untranslated) originally, and then be translated by a translator. This is likely how Transifex also uses TMX files.

(OmegaT also uses the TMX format for its temporary translation storage, but that is not relevant here. And OmegaT also generates TMX files as a by-product when you tell OmegaT to generate the translated files, but that may not be relevant to your questions either -- I'm simply explaining why you'll end up with lots of "TMX" files in your OmegaT project.)

2. Are you even sure updating via TMX works in Transifex?

If you really, really want to go the route of editing the TMX files:

Are you able to upload TMX files to Transifex? Have you checked? The fact that you can download a TMX file does not mean that you can also upload it, even if you may be able to upload other file types.

Then, if you are sure that you can upload TMX files to Transifex, are you sure that uploading an edited TMX file will cause the translations in Transifex to become updated automatically? I mean, have you tested it, by making a small edit to the downloaded TMX file in e.g. a text editor (or in Virtaal), then uploading it, and checking to see if the content in Transifex has been updated with your edit?

It may be that uploading a TMX file in Transifex simply makes those translations available to translators as an additional reference, without automatically inserting or update the translations.

3. The method officially recommend by Transifex

According to this help file:
https://docs.transifex.com/translation/offline
you need to download (and upload) XLIFF files if you want to edit or translate files offline (by "offline" they mean not inside Transifex, i.e. e.g. in OmegaT). There are some caveats to using XLIFF, that are explained on that page.

I'm not sure if XLIFF is always available for all projects (if you have a "pro" account). I do know that XLIFF is not available for me on the projects that I do on Transifex, but that may simply be because I don't have a "pro" account. By the way, I do have an option called "Download file to translate", but that is a poorly labelled option, because it doesn't actually mean "Download a file that you want to translate" but rather "Download a file in the originally translatable format", which is not relevant here unless you have privileges to upload such files, and I think only project administrators can do that.

Some of the file formats used in Transifex can be used in OmegaT as source files, but you may not be able to upload them unless you are the project administrator. What I'm trying to say is that if you're just a translator, you should download, edit/translate and upload the XLIFF files only, even if it looks as if OmegaT may be able to translate some of the other file types in your Transifex project.

W.r.t. XLIFF, if you have installed the Okapi plugins in OmegaT, then you can often use OmegaT to translate XLIFF files. Note: XLIFF files come in a wide variety, and OmegaT (plus the Okapi plugin) can't handle all XLIFF files 100% perfectly, so there is a small risk that Transifex's XLIFF files may not be 100% compatible with OmegaT (i.e. some translations may not import successfully).

Obviously, if you can download a TMX file, you can do that, and put it in the /tm/ or /tm/auto/ subfolder of your OmegaT project. The XLIFF file obviously goes into the /source/ subfolder, and the translated/edited file (which you would want to upload) will appear in the /target/ subfolder.

==

Added: I just realised that I had made an assumption. Do you want your edited/updated translations to go back into Transifex, or do you simply want to be able to finish the translation offline and then use the translated files elsewhere (but not in Transifex)?

[Edited at 2020-04-08 08:36 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Plamen, w.r.t. Milan's post Apr 8, 2020

Milan Condak wrote:
Put source as TXT into folder /source/ and OmegaT will create TMX from your translation.

[How to] extract source text from TMX.
http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-03/29/en/06.html

I agree that, theoretically, it would be an option to convert the TMX file to a format that OmegaT can translate (e.g. HTML, TXT, XLIFF, PO, etc. -- it doesn't matter which), and then use that file as a source file in the /source/ folder (and put the TMX file in the /tm/ subfolder, so that you can use it as a reference, if you want to), and translate it, because then, when you press Ctrl+D in the end, OmegaT will create a new TMX file (in three versions) as a by-product that is based on your translation. These newly created TMX files will not be in the /tm/ subfolder but in the root folder.

However, doing all of this will serve no purpose if you are unable to upload TMX files to Transifex and/or if uploading a TMX file to Transifex will not cause the translations in Transifex to automatically update.

There is also a slight risk that the TMX files generated by OmegaT might not be accepted by Transifex, if Transifex expects a very specific type of TMX file (but I'm just speculating here... I have no idea what happens on the project administration side of Transifex).

plamen

plamen
plamen
English to Bulgarian
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Apr 9, 2020

@Samuel Murray
Thank you for your post.
My idea was to use some offline app for translating, since Transifex is not so fast, but this is true for the most online tools.
Uploading tmx - hmm, may be you are right, no option for uploading, nor for synchronizing with other translators (if any at all).
Downloading all resources separately (as XLIFF) is also not pleasant operation - 70+ files in total.
Of course translating the whole project cannot be done in a day ... bu
... See more
@Samuel Murray
Thank you for your post.
My idea was to use some offline app for translating, since Transifex is not so fast, but this is true for the most online tools.
Uploading tmx - hmm, may be you are right, no option for uploading, nor for synchronizing with other translators (if any at all).
Downloading all resources separately (as XLIFF) is also not pleasant operation - 70+ files in total.
Of course translating the whole project cannot be done in a day ... but sometimes you need all files for reference.
Anyway all above is off topic.
I will try downloading some XLIFFs and also some other tools.
@Milan Condak - thank you also for advice.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to import tmx file from Transifex into OmegaT

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »