Some translated segments revert to the corresponding source segments in the target document
Thread poster: Nina Halperin
Nina Halperin
Nina Halperin  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2020

Hello,

I am new to OmegaT (and CAT tools in general). I have been completing some test translations in OmegaT version 4.3.2 for Mac to try to get the hang of it. For one document I have been translating, when I create the translated document and then pull up the target file to see what it looks like, some segments that I had already translated have reverted to the corresponding source segments. It is not a question of tags, as I ran "check issues" prior to creating the translated do
... See more
Hello,

I am new to OmegaT (and CAT tools in general). I have been completing some test translations in OmegaT version 4.3.2 for Mac to try to get the hang of it. For one document I have been translating, when I create the translated document and then pull up the target file to see what it looks like, some segments that I had already translated have reverted to the corresponding source segments. It is not a question of tags, as I ran "check issues" prior to creating the translated document and there were no tag problems. Thanks for the assistance!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nina Jun 25, 2020

Nina Halperin wrote:
For one document I have been translating, when I create the translated document and then pull up the target file to see what it looks like, some segments that I had already translated have reverted to the corresponding source segments.

I'm not a Mac user, but: what do you mean by "pull up"?

Did you remember to close the target file in its viewer before pressing Ctrl+D in OmegaT? For example, if it's a Word file and you've previously opened it in Word, did you remember to *exit* Word before continuting in OmegaT? On some operating systems, an opened file is locked in such a way that OmegaT can't create a new version of the file if the file is currently opened in another program, or if a program that the file was opened, is still active, even if the file is no longer open in that program.

I just want to make sure: the target file is re-created in the /target/ subfolder every time you press Ctrl+D, are you aware of that?

[Edited at 2020-06-25 09:08 GMT]

Nina Halperin
Nina Halperin  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Jun 25, 2020

Hi Samuel,

Thank you so much for your reply! I quit Word and subsequently was able to access the target document with all the translated segments correctly in place, so your suggestion worked perfectly. When I tried before, while I had exited out of the previous version of the target document, I still had Word open to look over the formatting of the source document.

By the way, when I say "pull up," I just mean access or open....
See more
Hi Samuel,

Thank you so much for your reply! I quit Word and subsequently was able to access the target document with all the translated segments correctly in place, so your suggestion worked perfectly. When I tried before, while I had exited out of the previous version of the target document, I still had Word open to look over the formatting of the source document.

By the way, when I say "pull up," I just mean access or open.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Some translated segments revert to the corresponding source segments in the target document

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »