Unwanted "pre-translation", in other words, OmegaT is inserting source segment as target
Thread poster: Charles Ek
Charles Ek
Charles Ek  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:24
Member (2009)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Jul 18, 2020

For reasons that are beyond my comprehension, version 5.2.0 has suddenly taken to "pre-translating" random source segments by using the same source segment as the target. The source files are PDF files converted by me to Word files, by opening them with Word for Mac, version 16.39.

This is not my first rodeo – I've been using OmegaT for the past eleven years.

Anybody got any ideas on how to fix this? The error almost seems to be propagating itself.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 12.32.09

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:24
Russian to English
+ ...
I don't see any repetition Jul 18, 2020

I don't know Norwegian, but I can't see the problem from your screenshot.
Assume you have Options > Editor > set for "Leave the segment empty" (and not "Insert source text").

If no one here knows, ask on the developer list:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/lists/omegat-development

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Charles Jul 19, 2020

Charles Ek wrote:
[OmegaT] has suddenly taken to "pre-translating" random source segments by using the same source segment as the target.

This would normally mean that these segments are source=target in the translation memory. Are you re-using an old project? Are you using or re-using any TMX files from previous projects?

Are these segments unique in the project's source files or are they repetitions? Could it be that you have OmegaT set to accept source=target segments, and to insert the source text automatically into the target of the active segment, and that you have visited these segments previously?

Susan Welsh wrote:
I don't know Norwegian, but I can't see the problem from your screenshot.

I assume Charles is using the default colour scheme, which marks untranslated segments in purple. Also, OmegaT does not spell-check untranslated segments.

Charles Ek
Charles Ek  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:24
Member (2009)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too much shuffling of project folder Jul 19, 2020

Samuel,

Thank you very much for your helpful response. I’ve been moving the project back and forth between two machines on different floors of my house. The problem is obviously a consequence of that.

Charlie

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Unwanted "pre-translation", in other words, OmegaT is inserting source segment as target

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »