Off topic: Need help with checking translation of a single sentence
Thread poster: Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Australia
Local time: 03:19
English
+ ...
Mar 5, 2020

Hi all,

I've a slightly unusual request.

I'm interested in getting a tattoo in Farsi (it will be done in Arabic calligraphy style), but I am having trouble getting an exact translation. Or, rather, my Persian friends are telling me that they can't think of an elegant way of saying what I want... They are engineers, so I can't hold that against them

I am hoping that someone here might be kind
... See more
Hi all,

I've a slightly unusual request.

I'm interested in getting a tattoo in Farsi (it will be done in Arabic calligraphy style), but I am having trouble getting an exact translation. Or, rather, my Persian friends are telling me that they can't think of an elegant way of saying what I want... They are engineers, so I can't hold that against them

I am hoping that someone here might be kind to me, and maybe suggest an elegant and succinct way of translating a sentence. I am a translator too, and I know what its like to desire The Right Word.

The saying I want is "self respect over desires of the heart".

To me, this means that in an emotionally difficult situation, I would chose the path of self respect, and respect for other people, over my feelings. This is how I live my life, and its important enough to me to ink it into my skin.

My friend gave me a translation below, but I've been told it's incorrect, that it says "respect FOR the desires of the heart". That's not the same at all, actually it's almost the opposite of what I want.

IMG_1192

I would very much appreciate your help with this, as one translator to another. I don't trust translation agencies with this - whatever they would give me, I would still try to get another opinion or two, and as a PhD student, I can't afford that... I feel hesitant in asking for translation assistance, since, as a professional translator, I live by my work. But I don't know what else I can do!

It would be amazing to have elegant words inked into my skin, as elegant calligraphy.

I hope for your assistance.

Daria

[Edited at 2020-03-05 12:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-03-05 12:39 GMT]
Collapse

Ali Sharifi
Ali Sharifi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:19
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
My choice Mar 5, 2020

Hello Daria,
I would suggest the following:
احترام به فرد ورای خواسته دل
which literally says"respecting individual goes beyond heart desire".
Best of luck,
Ali

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Ahmad Hosseinzadeh  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 20:49
+ ...
A more free choice Mar 6, 2020

Hi Daria,

Ali has correctly rendered your phrase into Farsi. However, when I was reading your explanations about "respect for other people, over my feelings", it somehow reminded me of a short famous poem by the 13th century Iranian poet, Sa'adi, which you could find its full story here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bani_Adam

I specifically mean the last two
... See more
Hi Daria,

Ali has correctly rendered your phrase into Farsi. However, when I was reading your explanations about "respect for other people, over my feelings", it somehow reminded me of a short famous poem by the 13th century Iranian poet, Sa'adi, which you could find its full story here:

I specifically mean the last two lines which says:
تو کز محنت دیگران بی‌غمی
نشاید که نامت نهند آدمی
(You, who are indifferent to the sufferings of others,
it is not fitting that they should call you a human being.)

Best,
Ahmad
Collapse

Australia
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 7, 2020

Ali Sharifi wrote:

Hello Daria,
I would suggest the following:
احترام به فرد ورای خواسته دل
which literally says"respecting individual goes beyond heart desire".
Best of luck,
Ali

Hi Ali,
Thank you for the translation, however it doesn't quite feel like the correct sentiment... What I want to say is that I respect my Self over my emotions. It's a personal matter, and a matter of willpower. Your rendition is lovely but feels philosophical and detached.
Or is that something to do with the linguistic difference between English and Farsi?

Thanks,
Daria

Australia
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 7, 2020

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh wrote:

Hi Daria,

I specifically mean the last two lines which says:
تو کز محنت دیگران بی‌غمی
نشاید که نامت نهند آدمی
(You, who are indifferent to the sufferings of others,
it is not fitting that they should call you a human being.)

Best,
Ahmad

Hi Ahmad,
That's a beautiful poem and a strong message, thank you for sharing it with me!
Daria

Edward Plaisance Jr
Edward Plaisance Jr  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:19
Member (2008)
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Another suggestion... Mar 7, 2020

I would change one word in Ali's suggestion which was
احترام به فرد ورای خواسته دل which literally says"respecting individual goes beyond heart desire".
...to me this suggests respect towards others is more important than your own heart's desire, which is not what Daria is looking for
...and suggest
احترام به خود ورای خواسته دل
which pretty literally say "respect to self (goes) beyond heart's desire"

Comments?

Australia
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any suggestions? Mar 8, 2020

Edward Plaisance Jr wrote:

احترام به فرد ورای خواسته دل which literally says"respecting individual goes beyond heart desire".
...to me this suggests respect towards others is more important than your own heart's desire, which is not what Daria is looking for
...and suggest

Comments?

Hi Edward, thank you for your input, and you are right in understanding my meaning!
A friend suggested this line... Says it's from some poem? What does it back translate to?

"عزت نفس فراتر از تمنای دل"

Thank you
Daria

Ehsan Alipour
Ehsan Alipour  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
Member (2012)
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"عزت نفس فراتر از تمنای دل" sounds good Mar 16, 2020

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia wrote:

Edward Plaisance Jr wrote:

...and suggest

Comments?

Hi Edward, thank you for your input, and you are right in understanding my meaning!
A friend suggested this line... Says it's from some poem? What does it back translate to?

"عزت نفس فراتر از تمنای دل"

Thank you
Daria

Hi Daria,

The expression suggested by your friend sounds good to me. It corresponds to what you want to say.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Mahmoud Akbari[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with checking translation of a single sentence

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »