Thread poster: Akihiko Takeda
Akihiko Takeda
Akihiko Takeda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:02
English to Japanese
+ ...
Oct 24, 2018

I’m relatively new at on line translation field. I translated individually for business company or hired at corporate for 2 years. Since I joined proz.com on September 30, 2018, my primary question is about CAT tools or MT or TM. I realized several types of CAT tools, one of which looks TOLADOS as a primary tool, are available.

Most of outsourcers designate some CAT tools for translator’s qualification to their job. I’ve never used those tools but its necessities are imminent
... See more
I’m relatively new at on line translation field. I translated individually for business company or hired at corporate for 2 years. Since I joined proz.com on September 30, 2018, my primary question is about CAT tools or MT or TM. I realized several types of CAT tools, one of which looks TOLADOS as a primary tool, are available.

Most of outsourcers designate some CAT tools for translator’s qualification to their job. I’ve never used those tools but its necessities are imminent for sure.

Here are my questions:
1. Is it absolutely necessary to buy and learn some CAT tool?
2. If so, which CAT tool software is must (or the most recommended)?
3. What CAT tool software are secondary and thirdly must ?
4. What is the best way to learn each CAT software as a crash course?

You might be amazed how fundamental those questions are but I think I have to clarify one of my directions about CAT tools. Your input and help are greatly appreciated.

Aki Takeda
Collapse

Paula Graf

Paula Graf
Paula Graf  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:02
Member (2018)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
CAT tools Oct 24, 2018

Hello.
I work with Worfast Anywhere, because it´s free.
Sometimes I work with Trados and MemoQ but is just when the clients want that and they give me a licence only for their jobs.
The most jobs I translate with no tools at all.
I learned to work with Wordfast in Youtube videos.
I hope these answers helped you a little!

Have a nice weak!
Paula Graf

Tradupro17

Nayoon Lee
Nayoon Lee  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 12:02
English to Korean
Yes. Oct 24, 2018

Hi, welcome to the translation field

and here is my answers. I hope this can help you!

1. It depends on your field but for the most part, the CAT tool is needed. That will improve your productivity.

2. Maybe the Trados Studio

3. I think, MemoQ and Wordfast

4. SDL Trado
... See more

1. It depends on your field but for the most part, the CAT tool is needed. That will improve your productivity.

4. SDL Trados provides the tutorial videos on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2v86Bb5z0jLl6RiaGhH_g).
Collapse

Akihiko Takeda
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT tools Oct 24, 2018

Paula Graf wrote:

Hello.
I work with Worfast Anywhere, because it´s free.
Sometimes I work with Trados and MemoQ but is just when the clients want that and they give me a licence only for their jobs.
The most jobs I translate with no tools at all.
I learned to work with Wordfast in Youtube videos.
I hope these answers helped you a little!

Have a nice weak!
Paula Graf

Paula,
If you manage Trados and MemoQ, that's ideal to use only when your outsourcer provides you with them. I understand you can operate them, too.
I will check youtube tutoring for Workfast anyway. That's a good idea.
Thank you for your info.
Aki

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:02
English to Russian
RE: TOLADOS Oct 25, 2018

It's TRADOS = acronym from TRAnslation & DOcumentation Software
Just for your information

Jean Dimitriadis
Jorge Payan

Meinrad
Meinrad  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 05:02
English to German
+ ...
Welcome to the world of translations :) Oct 25, 2018

Dear Aki!

Welcome to the translation business 😊
1. If your plan is to work professionally as a translator then I personally think YES, absolutely necessary. CAT tools make your and your client’s life so much easier. You can be more productive, accurate, consistent and deliver better quality in your translations.
2. I can personally highly recommend MemoQ. It is extremely user-friendly and compatible with other major tools. Moreover, they offer good documentation, on
... See more
Dear Aki!

1. If your plan is to work professionally as a translator then I personally think YES, absolutely necessary. CAT tools make your and your client’s life so much easier. You can be more productive, accurate, consistent and deliver better quality in your translations.
2. I can personally highly recommend MemoQ. It is extremely user-friendly and compatible with other major tools. Moreover, they offer good documentation, online help and personal support. There is a free trial version available online (it’s valid for 30 days or so). Should you plan to work with agencies: They often provide you with one of their licences for the duration of a project so that you do not have to buy your own.
3. I have experienced that SDL Trados and Wordfast are used quite often as well.
4. This is also another reason why I can highly recommend MemoQ. They offer up-to-date webinars and tutorials. You can even get a certificate, which can be useful if you plan to work with agencies.

I hope this helps a little 😊

Have a great day,
Christina
Collapse

Akihiko Takeda
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT tools Oct 25, 2018

Hi Christina,
Thanks for such a clear-cut answers and info.
I now so positively realized that CAT tools are required no matter what.
Then, I have to make what choice anyway for me to take to start with. I will focus on MemoQ, your commendation or SDL Trados and Wordfast first. Webinars, tutorial sound so supportive plus free trial and even borrow it from some outsourcers are a great relief.
I appreciate your positive inputs.

Aki

-----------------------------------
Meinrad Reiterer wrote:

Dear Aki!

2. I can personally highly recommend MemoQ. It is extremely user-friendly and compatible with other major tools. Moreover, they offer good documentation, online help and personal support. There is a free trial version available online (it’s valid for 30 days or so). Should you plan to work with agencies: They often provide you with one of their licences for the duration of a project so that you do not have to buy your own.
3. I have experienced that SDL Trados and Wordfast are used quite often as well.
4. This is also another reason why I can highly recommend MemoQ. They offer up-to-date webinars and tutorials. You can even get a certificate, which can be useful if you plan to work with agencies.

I hope this helps a little 😊

Have a great day,
Christina

Akihiko Takeda
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT tools Oct 25, 2018

Stepan,
Thank you.
---------------------
Stepan Konev wrote:

It's TRADOS = acronym from TRAnslation & DOcumentation Software
Just for your information

Akihiko Takeda
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT tools Oct 25, 2018

Nayoon,
Thank you for information.
No matter what it takes, CAT tools are needed. That's what I'm learning now.
I'm getting encouraged to know what is the best and what I should do next. My next step is which software to start with for learning. It's also getting clear now.

Thank you,
Aki
------------------------
Nayoon Lee wrote:

4. SDL Trados provides the tutorial videos on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2v86Bb5z0jLl6RiaGhH_g).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Akihiko Oct 25, 2018

Akihiko Takeda wrote:
1. Is it absolutely necessary to buy and learn some CAT tool?
4. What is the best way to learn each CAT software as a crash course?

It is not necessary to buy a CAT tool, but I do consider knowing how CAT tools work to be essential knowledge for international translators. You don't need to buy anything, though. You can find introductory and instruction videos about most major CAT tools on YouTube.

2. If so, which CAT tool software is must (or the most recommended)?
3. What CAT tool software are secondary and thirdly must ?

This depends on your clients. As soon as you start getting jobs from clients, you'll start hearing what their individual CAT tool needs, preferences or requirements are. It's really different for different translators, because we all work in different language combinations and different clients.

If you're going to use a CAT tool mostly for your own purposes (i.e. not because some agency requires it), then I would suggest starting out with some of the free ones or ones with generous tryout conditions.

Akihiko Takeda
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT tools Oct 25, 2018

Hi Samuel,
That's another practical suggesting. To get accustomed to CAT tools, learning some of them at trial version or total free such as Freeword through youtube makes sense to me.
The financial investment to any of CAT does matter but rather how I can meet outsources requirement looks higher priority.
Thank you for your rational suggestion.

Aki

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »