What is a "spot check" for?
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2019

I have a customer in the UK that used to give me lots of translation work, but has now switched to postediting of poor-quality machine translation. This takes almost as long as translating from scratch, and pays badly, so I decline the many automated job offers I receive unless I'm short of work.

They also offer me lots of what they call "spot checking" work, which involves checking a few hundred words of a much longer translation, presumably done by a machine. I've asked them three
... See more
I have a customer in the UK that used to give me lots of translation work, but has now switched to postediting of poor-quality machine translation. This takes almost as long as translating from scratch, and pays badly, so I decline the many automated job offers I receive unless I'm short of work.

They also offer me lots of what they call "spot checking" work, which involves checking a few hundred words of a much longer translation, presumably done by a machine. I've asked them three times what this is for, but I never get a reply - they use one of these faceless portals which makes it difficult to communicate with a human being.

Has anyone else come across this? Perhaps you even know the company I'm talking about. Why they would be doing this?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Weasel words Oct 24, 2019

To me this sounds like weasel words to disguise the fact that what they're looking for is you to not check a whole machine translation, but only a few words here and there. Their aim: to pay you as little as possible.

Clearly they're in trouble because they can see for themselves that the translation is cr*p. But having already agreed a price with the end client, they're looking for some sucker to put the worst of it right without eating into the tiny profit margin they've allowed
... See more
To me this sounds like weasel words to disguise the fact that what they're looking for is you to not check a whole machine translation, but only a few words here and there. Their aim: to pay you as little as possible.

Clearly they're in trouble because they can see for themselves that the translation is cr*p. But having already agreed a price with the end client, they're looking for some sucker to put the worst of it right without eating into the tiny profit margin they've allowed themselves.

I would walk away from this.

[Edited at 2019-10-24 17:29 GMT]
Collapse

Daryo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Phil Oct 24, 2019

philgoddard wrote:
They also offer me lots of what they call "spot checking" work, which involves checking a few hundred words of a much longer translation, presumably done by a machine.

Well, it sounds as if they mean that you should proofread/edit samples of longer translated texts. This isn't really MT related (unless it is, somehow). Simply charge them your usual editing rate. There is nothing wrong with getting an idea of the quality of a translation by editing a small sample of it.

Alexandra Hirsch (X)
Alexandra Hirsch (X)  Identity Verified
Austria
English to German
+ ...
They'll come back Oct 24, 2019

@Phil

If they honestly think that checking bits of a machine-translated text will ensure the flawlessness of the whole text then they've either gone bonkers (pardon me) or they've got another thing coming! It's not speed-reading, for g**'s sake! You can't just skim over it or follow some kind of pars-pro-toto routine! (Unless, of course, there are identical passages.)

Some of those machines are brilliant, yes, but -- as we all know -- they serve up some beautiful b**s**
... See more
@Phil

If they honestly think that checking bits of a machine-translated text will ensure the flawlessness of the whole text then they've either gone bonkers (pardon me) or they've got another thing coming! It's not speed-reading, for g**'s sake! You can't just skim over it or follow some kind of pars-pro-toto routine! (Unless, of course, there are identical passages.)

Some of those machines are brilliant, yes, but -- as we all know -- they serve up some beautiful b**s** sometimes, usually when you least expect it, simply because they are dumb machines built to match patterns. They don't understand grammar! They match patterns in their databases. Tell your client that, if you like (or better still, send them to my website blog where I post some of those seemingly inexplicable, often hilarious and frequently detrimental errors).

And as for the remuneration, I'd go with what the others have said: charge translation rates.
Collapse

Daryo

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Phil Oct 25, 2019

I've never been asked to do this but I imagine the purpose is:

1) to spot check the general quality of the MT;
and/or
2) to use the revised section as the basis for machine learning to improve the quality of this and future MTs.

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Let's keep it respectful, shall we Oct 25, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Clearly they're in trouble because they can see for themselves that the translation is cr*p. But having already agreed a price with the end client, they're looking for some sucker to put the worst of it right without eating into the tiny profit margin they've allowed themselves.

I would walk away from this.

[Edited at 2019-10-24 17:29 GMT]

There are agencies who have a deep respect for their final clients. And they have respect for translators (generic) as well: they allow the translator and the reviser to collaborate. But if the final client complains twice or three times already, maybe the agency just wants to make sure the files had not been mixed in the flow. Current technology allows that kind of thing to happen.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What is a "spot check" for?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »