Trashing translation efforts at the translation contest "Celebrations" German to English
Thread poster: Ramey Rieger (X)
Ramey Rieger (X)
Ramey Rieger (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:23
German to English
Aug 25, 2014

Greeting Colleagues!

I am shocked and dismayed at the obvious field day some critics are having at the translation contest "Celebrations" in the language pair German to English. Of course there are spelling errors, punctuation errors and some clearly mistranslated terms! What I find distressing, however, is the abundance of dislikes for supposedly mistranslated terms which are actually interpretations or questions of style.
Some entries have dislikes in the high 30s. You would
... See more
Greeting Colleagues!

I am shocked and dismayed at the obvious field day some critics are having at the translation contest "Celebrations" in the language pair German to English. Of course there are spelling errors, punctuation errors and some clearly mistranslated terms! What I find distressing, however, is the abundance of dislikes for supposedly mistranslated terms which are actually interpretations or questions of style.
Some entries have dislikes in the high 30s. You would think enough is enough.
The likes, on the other hand are as rare as a wild parrot in the Black Forest! The lack of bonhomie, support and fun, coupled with the lack of professional knowledge, flexible thinking and stylistic tolerance have truly shocked me. Ergo, this tirade.
Yes, I have entered the contest, hoping for a little fun and games. My entry is doing quite well compared to the greater part of the others. But in view of the uneducated attacks on style, the merciless deluge of dislikes and the malicious glee with which some (or many, it's not clear) colleagues trash their fellow-translators, it will most likely be the last time I open myself to the possibility of massive abuse.

sad but true,

Ramey Rieger
Do It Write translations
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trashing translation efforts at the translation contest "Celebrations" German to English

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »