Thread poster: Didi18
Didi18
Didi18
United States
Local time: 10:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 28, 2020

I'm trying to contact ProZ but I can't find any link to send them an email. I don't know if this is due to the new page design or that my brain needs coffee.

My suggestion, whether they accept it or not, is to have a section for translators to write about their experiences with free test translations and the companies that request them. I think some of them are scams and that they use those test translations without giving credit to the translator. I would like for people to be able
... See more
I'm trying to contact ProZ but I can't find any link to send them an email. I don't know if this is due to the new page design or that my brain needs coffee.

My suggestion, whether they accept it or not, is to have a section for translators to write about their experiences with free test translations and the companies that request them. I think some of them are scams and that they use those test translations without giving credit to the translator. I would like for people to be able to read about other translators' experiences before they spend their time doing those tests.

I don't know if ProZ will agree - at this point in time writing about free tests is not allowed. Still, I would like to try.

Does anybody know how to contact ProZ? The Help Center was not helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Didi
Collapse

Christi Naude

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:22
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Basically a good idea Nov 28, 2020

It would be good to see which agencies/outsourcers require (or demand) free test translations.

Even though the BB is a good resource to check a potential customer's business practices, there seems to be nothing ProZ can do about those translators who give a 5 rating after having completed just a small job, and mainly because the agency has a low BB record.

Even the new design should provide you with an option to contact one of the moderators. If not, you might want to
... See more
It would be good to see which agencies/outsourcers require (or demand) free test translations.

Even though the BB is a good resource to check a potential customer's business practices, there seems to be nothing ProZ can do about those translators who give a 5 rating after having completed just a small job, and mainly because the agency has a low BB record.

Even the new design should provide you with an option to contact one of the moderators. If not, you might want to switch back to the older version.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What? Nov 28, 2020

Didi18 wrote:

..... the new page design

What? Where is it? I don't see anything new.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:22
Dutch to English
+ ...
Disappeared Nov 28, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Didi18 wrote:

There used to be a link at the top of the top of the page to a new page design. That new page design has been there for a while to mixed reviews. The link seems to have disappeared and, trust me, you're not missing out on anything.

Christine Andersen
Philip Lees

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:22
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Submit a support request Nov 28, 2020

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Didi18 wrote:

There used to be a link at the top of the top of the page to a new page design. That new page design has been there for a while to mixed reviews. The link seems to have disappeared and, trust me, you're not missing out on anything.

I believe you're referring to the home page, which still has that toggle available. But that isn't the only place to contact staff. Going to the Support Centre or clicking on Support from any screen will bring up a page where you can do it. The actual button needed when you get there is hidden in plain view -- in the centre of a big photo .

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Best of luck with the suggestion! Nov 28, 2020

I would certainly back it.

It would be very useful to have a section where translators could explain why they did NOT accept work from an agency, explaining potential problems.

There have been numerous occasions when I would have given an agency a 1-rating, but could not do so because I never actually got as far as accepting a job from them.

Long application forms, so-called NDAs that I would not dare sign, poor communications... There can be a whole lot o
... See more
I would certainly back it.

It would be very useful to have a section where translators could explain why they did NOT accept work from an agency, explaining potential problems.

There have been numerous occasions when I would have given an agency a 1-rating, but could not do so because I never actually got as far as accepting a job from them.

Long application forms, so-called NDAs that I would not dare sign, poor communications... There can be a whole lot of reasons.

[Edited at 2020-11-29 10:27 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Christel Zipfel
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees
Didi18

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:22
Greek to English
Minefield warning Nov 29, 2020

Christine Andersen wrote:

It would be very useful to have a section where translators could explain why they did NOT accept wok from an agency, explaining potential problems.

Long application forms, so-called NDAs that I would not dare sign, poor communications... There can be a whole lot of reasons.

I agree. I've wasted time on more than one occasion because of the terms and conditions agencies tried to get me to agree to.

I had one just a week ago that was trying to negotiate a discount on my minimum fee for a first-time (and probably one-off) job. The person writing the emails didn't seem to understand the meaning of the word "minimum". They also appeared to see no difference between UK pounds and euros, as the two currencies were used interchangeably.

In the end, the fee they were offering wouldn't even have covered the time I wasted dealing with their emails.

Didi18
Christel Zipfel

Didi18
Didi18
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NDA before the test Nov 29, 2020

On one tech company, I signed an NDA before doing the test. The test consisted on translating dialog from English to Spanish for a video game and the marketing materials. It was long, no feedback was provided, only "you almost passed, our standards are very high", and when I asked for feedback, they acted defensive, borderline rude.

The second company the test was to translate from English to Spanish Amazon's posts, but without the product's name. This was supposed to be a proofread
... See more
On one tech company, I signed an NDA before doing the test. The test consisted on translating dialog from English to Spanish for a video game and the marketing materials. It was long, no feedback was provided, only "you almost passed, our standards are very high", and when I asked for feedback, they acted defensive, borderline rude.

The second company the test was to translate from English to Spanish Amazon's posts, but without the product's name. This was supposed to be a proofreading job, MTPE. They never contacted me back, and they never replied to my emails.

I think it would be useful to be able to have a section where we can write about these experiences. It would be interesting to see if those companies do that to many translators to avoid paying for our work.

I've also had some agencies asking what's my minimum rate and then come back saying their budget is lower and if I can lower my rates.

Regarding free translation tests, I'm going to be very very careful next time an agency or company wants me to take one. I hope beginner translators read this thread and are careful, too.
Collapse

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
This is not a supermarket Nov 29, 2020

I go into a supermarket, look at the product and the price, and then decide if I want to buy it.
However, I am not a supermarket. I am prepared to negotiate with potential clients on every aspect of the work I do and the work they do that involves me, including my rates. We have to come to an agreement that we are both happy with, or the relationship will not last over time, and I am in the main looking for long-term relationships with my clients. I am willing to do short test translations
... See more
I go into a supermarket, look at the product and the price, and then decide if I want to buy it.
However, I am not a supermarket. I am prepared to negotiate with potential clients on every aspect of the work I do and the work they do that involves me, including my rates. We have to come to an agreement that we are both happy with, or the relationship will not last over time, and I am in the main looking for long-term relationships with my clients. I am willing to do short test translations for companies that look like they might be seeking the same kind of relationship. I do not expect a test translation to automatically lead to paid work, and I do not automatically expect any follow-up. I might add that if I were looking for a translator I would probably ask them to do a short test and I would not offer payment for doing it. It is one more check you can perform in order to determine the suitability of the person. It is common in other sectors to check the abilities of those you do business with. I would say it is probably part of due diligence. At the end of the day, if you are strongly opposed to test translations, then simply don't do them.

[Edited at 2020-11-30 12:23 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson

Didi18
Didi18
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not against test translations Nov 29, 2020

I'm not against test translations.

I would like there to be a place where translators can write about their experiences with companies that request test translations, because I have the impression some of those companies are using the translator's work without the translator's knowledge.

Right now we have Blue Board where we can write and rate companies we did work for IF we had a contract and the work was delivered on time and without complaints. I wonder if some compa
... See more
I'm not against test translations.

I would like there to be a place where translators can write about their experiences with companies that request test translations, because I have the impression some of those companies are using the translator's work without the translator's knowledge.

Right now we have Blue Board where we can write and rate companies we did work for IF we had a contract and the work was delivered on time and without complaints. I wonder if some companies are bypassing the contract part, getting a number of translators to do a test translation of a different part of a text each, and then having a full translation without spending a dime. If the translators are good, you can get a translation that reads well and will make the client happy without paying anybody for their work.

I just wish there was a place where we can write about our experiences. I think that would be helpful for everybody.

[Edited at 2020-11-29 18:32 GMT]
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Philip Lees

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm trying to contact ProZ with a suggestion for a new Blue Board section

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »