Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
The offer nevertheless can be useful Apr 10, 2020

Chris S wrote:

And who ever needed temporary access to a CAT tool anyway?!)

There can be many reasons for that, including:

• Employees who cannot use the CAT tool they use at their employer's office, while working from their home office.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Andrew Morris
Yoana Ivanova
MollyRose

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:53
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Sign in via the Dashboard Apr 10, 2020

Hello Inna,

> But if I have already connected my CafeTran to ProZ some time before, what should I do now to enable the unlimited version?

You may have connected to ProZ.com website to use it as a web resource only. Please sign in via the Dashboard as follows:

1. Check the "ProZ.com services" box in the "Other resources and services" panel in the Dashboard.
2. In the login window that pops up, sign in to ProZ.com with your login details.

Robert Brown

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
@ Chris Apr 10, 2020

I never thought I'd agree with you about anything, Chris. But on this, I do, and I'm being bombarded by the same messages about how capitalists are actually very nice people, doing everything they can to support us.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
Ulrich Eberhardt

Inna Iryskina
Inna Iryskina  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:53
Russian to Ukrainian
+ ...
Login Apr 10, 2020

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

1. Check the "ProZ.com services" box in the "Other resources and services" panel in the Dashboard.
2. In the login window that pops up, sign in to ProZ.com with your login details.

Well, but it is already checked! I tried to uncheck it and then check again, but there is no login window anyway, seems it just reconnects automatically and so doesn't update its license status.

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
Advice is cheap Apr 10, 2020

Chris S wrote:

If ProZ really wants something to shout about, how about doing something that won’t primarily benefit the business, something truly charitable, like making cash payments to members with no work?

Just a brief question, Chris, in light of your generous (if somewhat naive) advice to ProZ.com on the difference between "business" and "charity": I see you make extremely regular use of the forum, and presumably therefore derive some value from it, but are you even a paying member? If not, then you are already enjoying our charitable services.

Oh and another thing: we're all running businesses here, unless we see ourselves as artists living in garrets. Would we like to list the acts of charity we ourselves have undertaken on behalf of clients who may be going through hard times, or just the populace in general?

That would be most instructive...

Robert Brown
Robert Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2019)
Spanish to English
I have the same problem Apr 10, 2020

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

Hello Inna,

> But if I have already connected my CafeTran to ProZ some time before, what should I do now to enable the unlimited version?

You may have connected to ProZ.com website to use it as a web resource only. Please sign in via the Dashboard as follows:

I have the same problem, I am logged in by default to Proz and cannot uncheck to activate the license, there is no status field as in the screenshot form Jared. Any suggestions of how to take advantage of this offer?

Inna Iryskina

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Deja vu Apr 10, 2020

Put the gloves back on, Andrew. People are allowed to have dissenting opinions. Even non-paying members.

Andrew Morris wrote:
Would we like to list the acts of charity we ourselves have undertaken on behalf of clients who may be going through hard times

That’s my whole point. I don’t plan to shout about what I’ve done to help, and I don’t like it when others do, especially if they don’t have much to shout about. ProZ appears to be being somewhat disingenuous here and I don’t see what’s wrong with pointing this out.

Just a brief question, Chris, in light of your generous (if somewhat naive) advice to ProZ.com on the difference between "business" and "charity": I see you make extremely regular use of the forum, and presumably therefore derive some value from it, but are you even a paying member?

You know the answer to that, Andrew. Your point is?

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
For the record Apr 10, 2020

I think ProZ.com has worked very hard over the last two weeks to bring members: a three-day Summit put together in record time; a COVID-19 forum; a dedicated web page; the creation of virtual powwows; membership discounts and free membership offers to people experiencing hardship; the free provision of a wide range of training courses and videos, which were previously part of paid-for packages; a huge discount on SDL courses; this latest CafeTran offer; and daily updates to keep the community i... See more
I think ProZ.com has worked very hard over the last two weeks to bring members: a three-day Summit put together in record time; a COVID-19 forum; a dedicated web page; the creation of virtual powwows; membership discounts and free membership offers to people experiencing hardship; the free provision of a wide range of training courses and videos, which were previously part of paid-for packages; a huge discount on SDL courses; this latest CafeTran offer; and daily updates to keep the community informed.

I've seen the effort that's gone into this internally and it's been impressive. And we've received hugely positive feedback from around the world. There are things to improve, naturally, but I reckon we stepped up.

It's only the beginning of course, and we'll be working actively to consider new ways of helping the community going forward.

Oh and if anyone has some actual constructive ideas (remember them?), I'm all ears.

But for now, I would indeed consider what's been achieved something to shout about, rather than carp about.
Collapse

Caroline Eira (X)
Yoana Ivanova

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Broken record Apr 10, 2020

It's only the beginning of course, and we'll be working actively to consider new ways of helping the community going forward.

Yes, that does all sound like a lot of hard work, and kudos to those involved, but as you know I was referring specifically to the temporary discounts.

I’m not sure how much any of the rest will help “the community”, but if that is genuinely the sole intention then it’s a nice gesture; shout about that then.

But whatever, I didn’t want to hijack this thread, just to show some support for someone who I felt was unfairly shot down earlier.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Reinstall Apr 10, 2020

@Inna and @Robert

If you installed CafeTran Espresso before, you need to uninstall that older version. Then, download the latest 10.7.4 version for your system from https://www.cafetran.com/ website and install it again.

[Edited at 2020-04-10 17:23 GMT]

Robert Brown
Inna Iryskina
Mansour Solayman

Danilo Ribeiro
Danilo Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Windows defender blocked it to exe. Apr 10, 2020

The Microsoft DEfender SmartScreen prevented an application from being recognized. Running this application can put your computer at risk

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
Pedants'R'Us Apr 10, 2020

Besides, in the glorious tradition of nitpicking which seems to prevail here, may I point out it's "Déjà vu"?

It's only French after all – the language of our neighbours – not Finnish, Friulian, or Fulani.

Robert Brown
Robert Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2019)
Spanish to English
Yes this worked thanks Apr 10, 2020

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

@Inna and @Robert

If you installed CafeTran Espresso before, you need to uninstall that older version. Then, download the latest 10.7.4 version for your system from https://www.cafetran.com/ website and install it again.

[Edited at 2020-04-10 17:23 GMT]

Yes this worked, it now says "Benefit:Cafe Tran full version". SmartScreen in Windows did suggest not running the installation, but i ignored it. Thanks Proz.

Hector Diaz
Hector Diaz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:53
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Apr 11, 2020

I haven't learned how to use this software efficiently yet, but it did aid me to help a nurse over the phone. I just wanted to say thank you.

Héctor

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Chris Apr 11, 2020

Chris S wrote:
I’m being bombarded with emails from my bank and my utility providers...
ProZ is now doing the same...

If you received an e-mail about this CafeTran deal, it is because you have subscribed yourself to receiving such notifications. ProZ.com did not send an e-mail about this to everybody. No-one forced you to subscribe to notifications from the "Translator Co-op" subforum.

Andrew Morris

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran is available to all ProZ.com paying members during Covid-19 pandemic

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »