INX files to Arabic in Trados: useful or not?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:24
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 10, 2009

Hi all,

I know that it's technically possible to translate Indesign INX files into Arabic (or other RTL languages) using Trados.

But based on your experience: is the output useful or not? Ie. will the resulting file be workable in Indesign ME for final layout, or will it be too messed up to be worth the hassle?

On a side note, I just heard that Indesign CS4 supports new plugins that enables the handling of RTL languages, even in the "western version" of CS4
... See more
Hi all,

I know that it's technically possible to translate Indesign INX files into Arabic (or other RTL languages) using Trados.

But based on your experience: is the output useful or not? Ie. will the resulting file be workable in Indesign ME for final layout, or will it be too messed up to be worth the hassle?

On a side note, I just heard that Indesign CS4 supports new plugins that enables the handling of RTL languages, even in the "western version" of CS4. Read here:
http://indesignsecrets.com/a-modern-day-chanukah-miracle-right-to-left-language-features-come-to-life-in-indesign-cs4.php

For full-fledged layout, Indesign ME proper is still advisable. But the CS4 plugins could be great news for a translator that just has to do some minor adjustments after translating in Trados. What do you think?

/J
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:24
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Farsi Feb 10, 2009

I don't know about Arabic but I do commonly translate INDD files (converted to INX) with tagEditor into Farsi and results are very much workable in InDesign (I use CS3). Arabic should not be different. The only drawback is that sometimes the orientation gets messed up (right-to-left as it should be in Farsi or Arabic) but that could be fixed easily in InDesign.

Radek Ptak
Radek Ptak
Local time: 07:24
English to Polish
should be fine Feb 10, 2009

Everything should be fine.
Before you start you may consider looking at settings file:

......\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL International\Filters\IndesignFilter_1_0_0_0.xml

editing that file you can set up font mapping or bidi direction change directly in Trados.

Radek

PS. it is quite important to use recent Trados version as InDesign plugin was quite "unstab
... See more
Everything should be fine.
Before you start you may consider looking at settings file:

......\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL International\Filters\IndesignFilter_1_0_0_0.xml

editing that file you can set up font mapping or bidi direction change directly in Trados.

Radek

PS. it is quite important to use recent Trados version as InDesign plugin was quite "unstable" in the past I would consider 8.2.0.835 as quite safe.
Collapse

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
In Hebrew it works Feb 10, 2009

I don't do it myself, but I receive the INX file, open and translate it in TagEditor, save back as INX and send it back to the client.

Afterwards, I receive a PDF for QA, and it is almost perfect.

Also, I once sent such a file to a collegue graphic artist with InDesign, and he said he can format it with no problem.

And another issue, as you may noticed, the post was moved to the " Right-to-left language technical forum" forum which was created for that purp
... See more
I don't do it myself, but I receive the INX file, open and translate it in TagEditor, save back as INX and send it back to the client.

Afterwards, I receive a PDF for QA, and it is almost perfect.

Also, I once sent such a file to a collegue graphic artist with InDesign, and he said he can format it with no problem.

And another issue, as you may noticed, the post was moved to the " Right-to-left language technical forum" forum which was created for that purpose. I hope you'll use it and ejoy it.
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 11, 2009

Yossi Rozenman wrote:
And another issue, as you may noticed, the post was moved to the " Right-to-left language technical forum" forum which was created for that purpose. I hope you'll use it and ejoy it.

Thanks a lot! I didn't notice until you told me. Great news!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

INX files to Arabic in Trados: useful or not?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »