Muhammad Atallah
Muhammad Atallah  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 16:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 24, 2009

Hello Everybody,

Recently, I have done a translation project for an American agency. The file was in Indesign format, and should be translated into Arabic. After submitting my translation, the agency sent me an email informing me that they can't view the Arabic translation. Although the file works well in my computer, and I proved this by sending the file in PDF format to the agency, they can't view the Arabic translation. Does anyone have any idea of how to overcome this problem?... See more
Hello Everybody,

Recently, I have done a translation project for an American agency. The file was in Indesign format, and should be translated into Arabic. After submitting my translation, the agency sent me an email informing me that they can't view the Arabic translation. Although the file works well in my computer, and I proved this by sending the file in PDF format to the agency, they can't view the Arabic translation. Does anyone have any idea of how to overcome this problem?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards!
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:20
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
They simply need the font that you used. Mar 24, 2009

Otherwise your translation will not display.

Send them this particular font (all versions that you have), they have to install it in Program Files > Adobe > Indesign > Fonts.

Everything should work out just fine then.

Good luck and best regards,

Nicole

Ines Areal Perez
Ines Areal Perez
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
Illustrator Mar 24, 2009

I had the same problem with illustrator. Should I get also the fonts from the translator.

Thanks, Inés

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:50
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Middle-eastern version of Indesign will be required to see Arabic properly Mar 25, 2009

Up to CS3, the regular version of Indesign does not support Arabic language. They have brought out a separate Middle Eastern version which has specific support for Arabic and other right to left languages.

So if you are able to use Arabic properly in your computer, you probably have the Middle Eastern version of Indesign, while your client probably has a regular version. That could be why they are not able to see the Arabic properly.

Explore this link and the other link
... See more
Up to CS3, the regular version of Indesign does not support Arabic language. They have brought out a separate Middle Eastern version which has specific support for Arabic and other right to left languages.

So if you are able to use Arabic properly in your computer, you probably have the Middle Eastern version of Indesign, while your client probably has a regular version. That could be why they are not able to see the Arabic properly.

Explore this link and the other links in this website for more information:

http://typophile.com/node/49832

So this is not a question of fonts and sending your clients the Arabic fonts is unlikely to help.

[2009-03-25 07:59 GMT पर संपादन हुआ]
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 17:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Exactly Mar 25, 2009

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Explore this link and the other links in this website for more information:

http://typophile.com/node/49832

So this is not a question of fonts and sending your clients the Arabic fonts is unlikely to help.

[2009-03-25 07:59 GMT पर संपादन हुआ]

Yes, thats it.

Fathy Shehatto
Fathy Shehatto  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
InDesign CS3 ME Version Mar 25, 2009

Dear Muhammad,

Same problem happened to me last week.

Your client must install InDesign CS3 ME Version. ME means a Middle East Version that supports all eastern (Right to Left ) Langauges.

Kind Reagrds
Fathy Shehatto

[Edited at 2009-03-25 11:18 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:20
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I thought about the wrong InDesign version too, but... Mar 25, 2009

Why would any agency deal with languages where they can't even handle the files?

This didn't make any sense to me.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Can't view Arabic with Indesign

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »