Support for Arabic OCR in Scanned Documents
Thread poster: Rebecca_M
Rebecca_M
Rebecca_M
Local time: 14:54
Arabic to English
Jul 25, 2010

Hi,
does anyone know any good software for converting scanned Arabic text documents into .doc or .pdf files for use with CAT tools? I have been successful in doing this for scanned English documents but when I try for Arabic the characters are converted into miscellaneous symbols. The only support I have found online suggests downloading Arabic language add-ons, however, I have been unable to find language add-ons for any of the non-Arabic specific software. I am therefore looking for
... See more
Hi,
does anyone know any good software for converting scanned Arabic text documents into .doc or .pdf files for use with CAT tools? I have been successful in doing this for scanned English documents but when I try for Arabic the characters are converted into miscellaneous symbols. The only support I have found online suggests downloading Arabic language add-ons, however, I have been unable to find language add-ons for any of the non-Arabic specific software. I am therefore looking for software specifically designed for converting scanned Arabic text documents.

Please help!

Many Thanks,

Becs
Collapse

Roberto Lipani
Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:54
Italian to English
+ ...
OCR support for Arabic language Jul 25, 2010

Hello,
maybe I can help you. One of the softwares I use for ocr is free ocr (you can download it from the internet and it's a freeware softare).
With regard to the Arabic language, I'm not sure it is supported (actually the software allows to select the main language from a list during installation).
I tried and typed "free ocr for Arabic language" in google and I think there are many softwares that can do the job (you can choose the one which best suits your needs)
The o
... See more
Hello,
maybe I can help you. One of the softwares I use for ocr is free ocr (you can download it from the internet and it's a freeware softare).
With regard to the Arabic language, I'm not sure it is supported (actually the software allows to select the main language from a list during installation).
I tried and typed "free ocr for Arabic language" in google and I think there are many softwares that can do the job (you can choose the one which best suits your needs)
The only thing I must add is that these softwares help you converting a document into word format, but it is necessary to check the right spelling of the words sometimes (I assume this depends on the quality of the scanned document)

Hope this will help you

Regards

Roberto
Collapse

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Arabic OCR Jul 25, 2010

Hello,

I tried to OCR Arabic texts many times without more than 70 % success in the best case (the software cost was almost 2500 $)... Then I gave-up and sent my PDFs to a type-writer who transformed them quickly and properly to word…

I did thousands of pages in this way as the OCRed pages need to be revised any way and revision cost was almost the same as writing!

Rebecca_M
Rebecca_M
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Links not always what they seem Jul 26, 2010

Dear Roberto,
thankyou for your suggestion. I have tried the Google search but when you follow the links the software is not often as advertised in the Google list and there is no confirmation that they support Arabic. Please could you tell me which software you are using and if it is compatible with MAC so I can check it out.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Ahmed Maher
Ahmed Maher  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
Readiris Pro 12 Jul 26, 2010

Hi Becs,

You can try Readiris Pro 12 from Winsoft International. Their products that support Middle Eastern languages like Indesign ME and Photoshop ME is great, but I have not tried to use their Readiris Pro 12 that support Arabic as most of my translation is from English to Arabic.

Regards,

Ahmed Maher

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Readiris Pro 12 ME Jul 26, 2010

Readiris Pro 12 ME is from Readiris (http://www.irislink.com/c2-1547-189/Readiris-12---Price-list.aspx) and it gives @ maximum 50% of correct results from scanner or from PDFs.

Rebecca_M
Rebecca_M
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Help and Suggestions Jul 27, 2010

Shame there isnt any freeware but thanks everyone for all your help!

Becs

[Edited at 2010-07-27 10:11 GMT]

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 17:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
I need Arabic OCR software too Feb 13, 2012

I am seeking for respectable Arabic OCR software too. I already have (Readiris Pro 11) but is a big failure with Arabic.

Regards

Arabic OCR Apr 9, 2012

try Abbyy. Arabic OCR is quite new but I was satisfied with the result

have you tried Finereader? May 12, 2012

The last version of finereader has Arabic OCR. You can download trial version to check it!
Fine reader never failed to me ....so I guess it's Arabic recognition should be suitable.
http://finereader.abbyy.com/

Arabic OCR in FineReader May 17, 2012

Hello, I tried ABBYY FineReader with European languages and Korean. And it was fantastic. Really good. That's why I recommended it to my friend who had to recognize texts in Arabic (he is a student and his major is Arabic). He said that it isn't yet perfect (as good as with texts in English and so on), but it is one of the best solutions in the market. He tried some other softwares (I don't remember actually the companies, there were something connected with flowers) and it wasn't good at all, t... See more
Hello, I tried ABBYY FineReader with European languages and Korean. And it was fantastic. Really good. That's why I recommended it to my friend who had to recognize texts in Arabic (he is a student and his major is Arabic). He said that it isn't yet perfect (as good as with texts in English and so on), but it is one of the best solutions in the market. He tried some other softwares (I don't remember actually the companies, there were something connected with flowers) and it wasn't good at all, too many mistakes. So now he uses FineReader and he thinks that it is no bad. Anyway it saves the time.Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
Useless fir Arabic May 17, 2012

Based on my test I can say that it is useless for Arabic.

Regards

maybe FineReader Jun 5, 2012

Hi!

I suppose, you can try FineReader. Our company bought Kaspersky for our sister company in Dubai, and it was in bundle with Finereader. As fas as I know, my colleagues were satisfied with the fact that Finereader supports arabic language. and for me it's a kind of criterion for reliability that such a famous company like Kaspersky m
... See more
Hi!

I suppose, you can try FineReader. Our company bought Kaspersky for our sister company in Dubai, and it was in bundle with Finereader. As fas as I know, my colleagues were satisfied with the fact that Finereader supports arabic language. and for me it's a kind of criterion for reliability that such a famous company like Kaspersky made a bundle with abbyy Finereader. http://finereader.abbyy.com/
Collapse

Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sakhr OCR is the best Jan 9, 2013

The only working OCR software for Arabic is Sakhr, but it is very expensive. There was a cheap version in the past, but it was never updated and it works on Windows 98 only. Readris does not give good results and the final quality is very poor.

ahmadwadan.com
Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
No Jan 9, 2013

Mohamed wrote:

The only working OCR software for Arabic is Sakhr, but it is very expensive. There was a cheap version in the past, but it was never updated and it works on Windows 98 only. Readris does not give good results and the final quality is very poor.

I tried Sakhr OCR and I got scrap!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Support for Arabic OCR in Scanned Documents

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »