Thread poster: Peter Neydavood (X)
Peter Neydavood (X)
Peter Neydavood (X)
Local time: 11:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 22, 2002

Dear Colleagues,

We are planing to upgrade our system to Windows XP and would appreciate any information you supply us including the followings:

How XP works with right to left writing Middle East and Central Asia Languages.

In order to make files in the above languages, do we have to buy any other software/application?

What is the difference between the XP Home, Professional and Small Business editions?
... See more

Dear Colleagues,

We are planing to upgrade our system to Windows XP and would appreciate any information you supply us including the followings:

How XP works with right to left writing Middle East and Central Asia Languages.

In order to make files in the above languages, do we have to buy any other software/application?

What is the difference between the XP Home, Professional and Small Business editions?

And what are the advantage and or disadvantage of different brands of notebooks.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Paul

MELT

Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 17:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
Right to left Mar 22, 2002

When you set up WinXp, you can choose the languages you are going to work in. There is an option to choose oriental (Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean) and Middle-East languages.

If you tick the right case, they will be added to the language bar, which appear in the right-hand corner of your screen. The IME-keyboards are included. Some languages even allow that you can speak the text rather than typing it or simply write like you would do with handwriting.
... See more
When you set up WinXp, you can choose the languages you are going to work in. There is an option to choose oriental (Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean) and Middle-East languages.

If you tick the right case, they will be added to the language bar, which appear in the right-hand corner of your screen. The IME-keyboards are included. Some languages even allow that you can speak the text rather than typing it or simply write like you would do with handwriting.

The Office XP Proofing Tools provide useful proofing (spelling-grammar correction) tools for about all languages.
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 08:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
XP Works well with right-to-left (RTL) Languages Mar 23, 2002

Greetings.

Windows XP works smoothly and well with Arabic and other right-to-left (RTL) languages. The multilanguage support feature in the basic XP CD includes Arabic. Following the installation instructions for adding the Arabic support should entail an easy procedure.

FWIW/BTW: With some additional TTF fonts and a printout of the diagram for the Farsi keyboard (available via a search in the MS web site), you can also do word-processing into Farsi (PF
... See more
Greetings.

Windows XP works smoothly and well with Arabic and other right-to-left (RTL) languages. The multilanguage support feature in the basic XP CD includes Arabic. Following the installation instructions for adding the Arabic support should entail an easy procedure.

FWIW/BTW: With some additional TTF fonts and a printout of the diagram for the Farsi keyboard (available via a search in the MS web site), you can also do word-processing into Farsi (PF) and Kurdish (KU).

That diagram beats having to do some tedious keyboard mapping otherwise needed to create the distinctive characters and numerals in PF and KU.

Urdu, however, seems to operate and display properly only in a Unicode-based Arial font. I am uncertain about what other fonts may work with Urdu, as I have seen and have had Urdu MS word files e-mailed to me.

Both Win 2K and XP (even more) offer noticeable improvements in reliability and stability when you are working in Arabic. (Both of these later versions are based on Unicode, rather than the proprietary MS encoding used in the earlier bilingual versions of MS Windows (The good people in the Complex Scripts Division at MS in Redmond listened to many of us Arabic beta testers about code conflicts, compatibility and scalability.)

Hope this helps.

If you have other questions about Arabic support and production in Win 2K or XP, just ask. Ahalan wa sahalan / befarmaa\'id...

Regards from Los Angeles,

Stephen H. Franke

(English Arabic,

Kurdish, and Farsi)
Collapse

shannonyu
shannonyu
United States
Local time: 08:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
Chinese input Windows 2000 Mar 23, 2002

Hi,

I have a similar question too. I appreciate any help I can get. I have Windows 2000 at home, however, we don\'t have the multilanguage pack which is needed to use Chinese input? Anyone has Windows 2000 English version and is translating English to Chinese?

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
XP Home and XP Pro Mar 23, 2002

XP home is more like a upgrade of Windows 95, 98 and ME. XP Pro is based Windows NT and Windows 2000 Pro. As we know that NT and 2000 are Business strength software and are much more stable. As a language professional, it is best to have XP Pro.

Small Business edition should be one of the Office products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint but without Access.

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:34
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
XP Home is *not* upgrade of Win95/98/ME Jan 24, 2009

Libin PhD wrote:

XP home is more like a upgrade of Windows 95, 98 and ME. XP Pro is based Windows NT and Windows 2000 Pro. As we know that NT and 2000 are Business strength software and are much more stable. As a language professional, it is best to have XP Pro.

XP Home and Pro has the same "engine", and XP Home is certainly not an upgrade of Win 95/98/ME.

The main difference between Home and Pro is the access right management, which in Pro is more strict.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Windows XP

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »