Thread poster: Mahdi Ghazanfar
Mahdi Ghazanfar
Mahdi Ghazanfar
Local time: 06:10
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Feb 13, 2013

Dear translators,
Recently I received a transcription job and the outsourcer insists that the numbers must look Arabic at any circumstance and at any PC. I have changed the settings of word options/advanced/numerals to context and Arabic and Hindi, but this have not solved my problem. The numbers look correct on my PC, i.e. Arabic but as the word files are opened in another computer they change to Latin numbers.
Please help me and tell me how I can keep numbers in Arabic/Hindi (or ev
... See more
Dear translators,
Recently I received a transcription job and the outsourcer insists that the numbers must look Arabic at any circumstance and at any PC. I have changed the settings of word options/advanced/numerals to context and Arabic and Hindi, but this have not solved my problem. The numbers look correct on my PC, i.e. Arabic but as the word files are opened in another computer they change to Latin numbers.
Please help me and tell me how I can keep numbers in Arabic/Hindi (or even Latin) format at ANY TIME.
I would appreciate your kind attention in advance.
Collapse

msoutopico
msoutopico  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 03:40
English to Galician
+ ...
dependent on Word settings, not document settings Feb 14, 2013

Dear Mahdi,

You haven't said which version of Word you use, but I'll assume you use Word 2010. Arabic support is quite different depending on the version.

(Un?)Fortunately, you cannot define how numbers are displayed at any circumstance/time because that doesn't depend on your document's settings but on Word's settings. You must configure Word in the machine in which the document is to be opened as you have described you have done in your machine: File > Options > Advan
... See more
Dear Mahdi,

You haven't said which version of Word you use, but I'll assume you use Word 2010. Arabic support is quite different depending on the version.

(Un?)Fortunately, you cannot define how numbers are displayed at any circumstance/time because that doesn't depend on your document's settings but on Word's settings. You must configure Word in the machine in which the document is to be opened as you have described you have done in your machine: File > Options > Advanced > Numeral.

Of course you should be able to keep numerals in the format of your choice in the document at ANY TIME by using a PDF. For example, you could use a PDF to show your client that the numerals look the way they want, which means that you've done your job correctly.

Cheers, Manuel
Collapse

Mahdi Ghazanfar
Mahdi Ghazanfar
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Number format Feb 14, 2013

Thank you Manuel,
I use Office 2007. Anyway I already tried all the ways you suggested but my client spoke with such a confidence that I supposed it was my fault.
Thank you again for your kind attention.
Mahdi

msoutopico
msoutopico  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to Galician
+ ...
لا شكرا على واجب Feb 14, 2013

!لا شكرا على واجب

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Possible work around Feb 14, 2013

This should work but it is a bit drawn out and takes time but when you get to the numbers instead of typing the number you need to insert symbol.

In word 2007 you click on the insert tab and then the symbol button. if you scroll down in the font you are using you will eventually come to the Hindi numerals select the one you want and insert.

This will keep the numbers set as Hindi no matter what computer you use.

Another question you may want to ask y
... See more
This should work but it is a bit drawn out and takes time but when you get to the numbers instead of typing the number you need to insert symbol.

In word 2007 you click on the insert tab and then the symbol button. if you scroll down in the font you are using you will eventually come to the Hindi numerals select the one you want and insert.

This will keep the numbers set as Hindi no matter what computer you use.

Another question you may want to ask your client is when he wants the numbers to look Arabic does he mean as they are written in Arabic i.e Hindi or does he mean he wants them to look like Arabic numerals.

ie 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

as opposed to Hindi which it won't let me type in here for some reason.

Anyway you have your workaround that is the only way I know of doing it
Collapse

Mahdi Ghazanfar
Mahdi Ghazanfar
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good solution! Feb 15, 2013

Hi Steve,
That is great! At least it works on my PC and laptop. I hope inserting symbols works on my clients computer too!
Thank you for your very helpful comment.
Mahdi

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Numbers: how to keep Arabic numbers?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »