Thread poster: Elisa Comito
Elisa Comito
Elisa Comito  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:38
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And what about... Jan 26, 2011

"Doors!" Lukeria shouted from the window. It was an orthodox greeting meant to hurry Tanya [her granddaughter] from the corridor, lest the Devil come in on a draught and blow out the candle.

-------------------

Have you ever heard this orthodox greeting or is it an invention? If any such greeting (or a similiar one) exists, can you please give me the Russian form?

Thank you for your assistance,

Elisa

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Australia
Local time: 04:38
English
+ ...
Doors! Jan 27, 2011

Elisa Comito wrote:

"Doors!" Lukeria shouted from the window. It was an orthodox greeting meant to hurry Tanya [her granddaughter] from the corridor, lest the Devil come in on a draught and blow out the candle.

Have you ever heard this orthodox greeting or is it an invention? If any such greeting (or a similiar one) exists, can you please give me the Russian form?

Elisa, that sounds like a very fun book to read and to translate! Curiousier and curiousier... My grandmother was very fond of shouting "Doors" (Dveri!), but that was because, like the majority of Russian people she was pathologically terrified of draughts. I suspect she thought she would get pneumonia from an open door, even if it was +27C outside and sunny. She often shouted it as a greeting of sorts as well - when she heard me coming into the house and forgetting to slam the door immediately.

As for the devils blowing out the candle... it's quite possible that someone, somewhere believed in that. Probably another grumpy grandmother

Regarding the spices cakes/cookies - insulso might be a very good word there, if it fits into the rest of the context. Tula cakes are basically ginger bread with a layer of jam in the middle, same sort of "spiciness". As someone else said, the spice is mostly ginger and vanilla, sometimes cinnamon as well.

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doors! Jan 27, 2011

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia wrote:

Elisa, that sounds like a very fun book to read and to translate! Curiousier and curiousier...

Yes Daria, and you shoud know how many other curious things I found in 370 pages!! I am curious to know if the book will be translated in Russian and how it would be received... I'll investigate.

My grandmother was very fond of shouting "Doors" (Dveri!)...

Perfect! It's possible that this expression has a long anti-devil/anti-draughts history. After all, there are many traditional beliefs we (the later generations) have lost memory of.

... but that was because, like the majority of Russian people she was pathologically terrified of draughts.

Pathologically? With the temperatures you have in many parts of Russia I would say most sensibly!

Regarding the spices cakes/cookies - insulso might be a very good word there, if it fits into the rest of the context. Tula cakes are basically ginger bread with a layer of jam in the middle, same sort of "spiciness". As someone else said, the spice is mostly ginger and vanilla, sometimes cinnamon as well.

Yes, "insulso" would fit well in the context, only I have somehow to use a more general term for Tula cookies, as I cannot mention ginger or cinnamon, since for us cookies with these spices are all but tasteless!
I could find many Italian images for a dumb girl but I don't want to take away the Russian reference, since it contributes to the atmosphere of the book. After all, the novel has a great fantastic part so it doesn't really matter if Tula cookies get a meaning they don't have in reality.

Thank you for your help.

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
asking the cuckoo Jan 31, 2011

Hello everbody,

I found another curious thing.

There is a girl who lost her mother when she was very little and was grown up by her grandmother, a hard woman who refuses to tell her about her mother and the past.

One day, when the girl asks once again what happened to her mother...

"Lukeria merely nodded to the window, to the clouds. "She went to a better place," she said in a voice as flat and formidable as the steppe in February, as the back
... See more
Hello everbody,

I found another curious thing.

There is a girl who lost her mother when she was very little and was grown up by her grandmother, a hard woman who refuses to tell her about her mother and the past.

One day, when the girl asks once again what happened to her mother...

"Lukeria merely nodded to the window, to the clouds. "She went to a better place," she said in a voice as flat and formidable as the steppe in February, as the back of her iron skillet from Magnitorgorsk.
Even then, Tanya knew that a better place was anywhere but here. Australia. Canada. Or maybe the Black Sea - Sochi - where they sold lemon ices. As an Honorable Railway Worker, Tanya's grandmother, Tanya figured, would know all these things. Of course Tanya asked.
"Don't ask the cuckoo in the tree foolish questions," Lukeria replied, and it was then that Tanya understood her mother's departure had been swift and it had been Tanya's fault."

-------------------

The cuckoo part is not very clear to me.
I know that according to a traditional belief a cuckoo can predict how many more years a person will live (as many years as the cuckoo cuckooes). So I might think that the grandmother is implying that Tanya already knows the answer inside herself and that she is silly to ask (since the cuckoo would not answer, he would keep quiet because the mother is dead). It would be as if Lukeria was telling her niece "don't ask useless questions". But I can't explain the last part, the fact that the girl understands not only that her mother died but HOW she died, that her departure had been swift and that it had been by her fault (presumably the mother died in childbirth). How does the cuckoo links to these last informations?

Elisa

[Modificato alle 2011-01-31 17:41 GMT]
Collapse

Australia
English
+ ...
Cuckoos Feb 1, 2011

Hi Elisa,

About the temperatures in Russia - I certainly understand the importance of shutting the doors when it's all snowbound outside, but my grandma couldn't tolerate even a tiniest draught in summer. In central and southern parts of Russia it goes up to +30C in July, but even in that sort of weather she would wear a jumper in the lightest breeze...

Well, cuckoos don't say anything sensible - if you ask them a question, they just respond "cuckoo! cuckoo!". I vaguel
... See more
Hi Elisa,

About the temperatures in Russia - I certainly understand the importance of shutting the doors when it's all snowbound outside, but my grandma couldn't tolerate even a tiniest draught in summer. In central and southern parts of Russia it goes up to +30C in July, but even in that sort of weather she would wear a jumper in the lightest breeze...

Well, cuckoos don't say anything sensible - if you ask them a question, they just respond "cuckoo! cuckoo!". I vaguely recall a belief that a girl who asks the cuckoo about her future husband is particularly foolish, but can't find a reference just yet. So in your context, the girl is just told that she is asking stupid questions.

As for the rest... it just sounds like poetic license again Although I would have interpreted that passage not that the mother died in childbirth, but that she disgraced the family somehow before dying, and that's why her hard mother doesn't want to talk about her. But then I could be just reading too much into it.

P.S. I have to say, I am sweating over an extremely dry geological report right now, and getting slightly envious of your fun text

[Edited at 2011-02-01 02:54 GMT]
Collapse

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Feb 2, 2011

Hi Elisa,

Ah, now I understand, then she was stoic! But perhaps with age we become more sensitive to draughts.

Well, cuckoos don't say anything sensible - if you ask them a question, they just respond "cuckoo! cuckoo!". I vaguely recall a belief that a girl who asks the cuckoo about her future husband is particularly foolish, but can't find a reference just yet. So in your context, the girl is just told that she is asking stupid questions.

As for the rest... it just sounds like poetic license again Although I would have interpreted that passage not that the mother died in childbirth, but that she disgraced the family somehow before dying, and that's why her hard mother doesn't want to talk about her. But then I could be just reading too much into it.

It might very well be, the book leaves the thing in mistery. Thank you for your insight.

P.S. I have to say, I am sweating over an extremely dry geological report right now, and getting slightly envious of your fun text

[Edited at 2011-02-01 02:54 GMT]

Ah, in this moment I am so tired with it I really wish we could change positions! Actually I think geological reports are interesting; I am always happy when I am assigned a scientific translation (although I am more expert in the biological-agrarian field). I work mostly in these two sectors, literary and scientific, and to alternate them is necessary for my peace fo mind!

Have a nice day,

Elisa

Australia
English
+ ...
geology Feb 3, 2011

Elisa Comito wrote:
Ah, in this moment I am so tired with it I really wish we could change positions! Actually I think geological reports are interesting; I am always happy when I am assigned a scientific translation (although I am more expert in the biological-agrarian field). I work mostly in these two sectors, literary and scientific, and to alternate them is necessary for my peace fo mind!

Oh, don't get me wrong - I enjoy geological reports, and in many ways it's an easy text for me to translate. Once you get used to the language and specific "jargon", scientific reports are very simple, there is no room for misinterpretation, unlike with your Tula cookies The concepts might not be simple, but the language is very straightforward and clear, I like that.

Sadly, it's been a long time since I've done any literary translations... the last one I did was a large bundle of Russian fairy tales. Now, that was fun!

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Russian tales Feb 3, 2011

the last one I did was a large bundle of Russian fairy tales. Now, that was fun!

I treasure, since I was a child, a book of Russian tales with animals, written by Olga Perovskaia and with BEAUTIFUL illustrations by V. Vataghin and I. Godin. This book was translated in Italian and published in 1972 by Edizioni "PROGRESS" in Moscow (strange thing!)

I don't know any of these artists but these stories are wonderful!

Ciao,
Elisa

Australia
English
+ ...
stories Feb 4, 2011

Elisa Comito wrote:

I treasure, since I was a child, a book of Russian tales with animals, written by Olga Perovskaia and with BEAUTIFUL illustrations by V. Vataghin and I. Godin. This book was translated in Italian and published in 1972 by Edizioni "PROGRESS" in Moscow (strange thing!)

I don't know any of these artists but these stories are wonderful!

I think I know the book you mean - there are only a couple of Russian fairy tale compendiums that were published at that time, and they all had beautiful illustrations. Myself, I always liked Italian and Nordic fairy tales, they were so different to what I've grown up with! Italian especially, you could almost feel the hot summer sun on the rocks and coastal trees, there is no mention of miserable cold or snow or winter darkness

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Use of "Vy" and "Ty" Feb 4, 2011

Today I would like your advice upon a question of social use, not poetic licence...

I would like to know what is the usual way in Russia to adress co-workers where there is a hierarchical relationship.
For example how would the head administrator of a museum adress to the employees of lower grade, with "vy" or "ty"? In the book he shows a paternalistic attitude and he calls the employees by their first name (without patronimic).
And the head recruiter of Aeroflot to a gi
... See more
Today I would like your advice upon a question of social use, not poetic licence...

I would like to know what is the usual way in Russia to adress co-workers where there is a hierarchical relationship.
For example how would the head administrator of a museum adress to the employees of lower grade, with "vy" or "ty"? In the book he shows a paternalistic attitude and he calls the employees by their first name (without patronimic).
And the head recruiter of Aeroflot to a girl applying to work for the company? Also this woman has a very "confidential/maternalistic" way of speaking to this girl (often using "my dear"... "you must loose weight"... "I know what you are thinking"... and so on)
And what is the normal use between collegues of the same level?

Thanks,

Elisa
Collapse

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
snow Feb 4, 2011

I think I know the book you mean - there are only a couple of Russian fairy tale compendiums that were published at that time, and they all had beautiful illustrations. Myself, I always liked Italian and Nordic fairy tales, they were so different to what I've grown up with! Italian especially, you could almost feel the hot summer sun on the rocks and coastal trees, there is no mention of miserable cold or snow or winter darkness

Living in Rome, where normally it snows once every 14 years, for me is a blessing a winter with snow

Australia
English
+ ...
Politeness Feb 4, 2011

Elisa Comito wrote:

And the head recruiter of Aeroflot to a girl applying to work for the company? Also this woman has a very "confidential/maternalistic" way of speaking to this girl (often using "my dear"... "you must loose weight"... "I know what you are thinking"... and so on)
And what is the normal use between collegues of the same level?

Hi Elisa,

Generally speaking, people in Russia address each other as "vy" until they are given permission to use the familiar "ty". To do otherwise is very rude and can even lead to violence in a drunken bar situation. To be addressed as a "ty" by a stranger is unacceptable in any situation - in this respect, Russians are almost as formal as the Japanese.

In a work situation it's the same, although it depends on the workplace and the "culture' there. Sometimes everyone calls each other by the familiar "ty" from the first day, but that's rare. Generally, colleagues would address each other by the polite form, until the permission is given (or they got so drunk together on a corporate Friday that it doesn't matter any more ).

"Ty" is used in familiar situations, towards family and friends, and usually children and pets. It's a little like "chan" in Japanese, as opposed to "san". However, well-brought up children are told to always address their elders in the polite form.

So, in your case, the museum administrator is definitely being over-familiar, and exploiting his power over the employees - it's not like they have anyone to complain to! Same with the Aeroflot recruiter - a woman like that sounds like a bully, she knows that the young girl really wants the job and she has that power to make her miserable. The use of "ty" emphasises that exploitation of power.

I hope that helps?

Living in Rome, where normally it snows once every 14 years, for me is a blessing a winter with snow

I live in the subtropics now, I haven't seen a sub-zero winter for almost 20 years. My husband "has seen the snow" twice in his life

[Edited at 2011-02-04 13:17 GMT]

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 4, 2011

In a work situation it's the same, although it depends on the workplace and the "culture' there. Sometimes everyone calls each other by the familiar "ty" from the first day, but that's rare. Generally, colleagues would address each other by the polite form, until the permission is given (or they got so drunk together on a corporate Friday that it doesn't matter any more ).

"Ty" is used in familiar situations, towards family and friends, and usually children and pets. It's a little like "chan" in Japanese, as opposed to "san". However, well-brought up children are told to always address their elders in the polite form.

So, in your case, the museum administrator is definitely being over-familiar, and exploiting his power over the employees - it's not like they have anyone to complain to! Same with the Aeroflot recruiter - a woman like that sounds like a bully, she knows that the young girl really wants the job and she has that power to make her miserable. The use of "ty" emphasises that exploitation of power.

I hope that helps?

Yes, you have been most precious!

Have a nice weekend,

Elisa

[Modificato alle 2011-02-04 17:28 GMT]

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
as if her teeth had turned to glass Mar 13, 2011

Hello to everybody! It's a little while that I dont't write here but I' am still translating the book, and once again I need your point of view.
This time I would like to know if the expression "to feel as if one's teeth had turned to glass" it's an idiomatic expression or not in Russian (in English it isn't).

I find it in the book to express the difficulty and embarassement of a girl during a dialogue with her superior at work. She works in a museum and the head administrat
... See more
Hello to everybody! It's a little while that I dont't write here but I' am still translating the book, and once again I need your point of view.
This time I would like to know if the expression "to feel as if one's teeth had turned to glass" it's an idiomatic expression or not in Russian (in English it isn't).

I find it in the book to express the difficulty and embarassement of a girl during a dialogue with her superior at work. She works in a museum and the head administrator has been reading her a document annonuncing the visit of a delegation of an American association devoted to the promotion of art and beauty. He is very anxious about this visit because, if the Americans are satisfied, they will give a financial contribution to the museum. He reads their presentation to the girl:

"The Americans of Russian Extraction for the Causes of Beautification are committed to preserving, protecting and promoting art among the people. Specifically we believe in the power of art to motivate, educate and illuminate the human
soul. It is a challenge we wish to embrace with a deserving partner museum in
Russia"

"Do you understand what it means?"

**Tanya suddendly felt as if her teeth had turned to glass.** "Motivate" and
"challenge" were English words having no direct, or at least relevant
translation into Russian. Certainly Head Administrator Chumak knew that she,
given her medium-high marks in school, knew this.

------------

So I wonder if the expression between asterisks is an idiomatic way of expressing uncertainty or is an image chosen by the author.

Thank you,

Elisa
Collapse

Andrew Grish (X)
Andrew Grish (X)
Local time: 21:38
English to Russian
Contamination? Mar 13, 2011

It seems to me that your book is a kind of a story about bears drinking vodka and play balalaika under a branchy cranberry.
I never meet expression "teeth of glass" in any context (in Russian). Maybe there must be something alike “teeth became icy cold (with fear)” – зубы похолодели от страха.
Dumb as Tula cookie – it looks like the contamination of two proverbs – «ломаться как копеечный пряник» (“cramble as a halfpenny
... See more
It seems to me that your book is a kind of a story about bears drinking vodka and play balalaika under a branchy cranberry.
I never meet expression "teeth of glass" in any context (in Russian). Maybe there must be something alike “teeth became icy cold (with fear)” – зубы похолодели от страха.
Dumb as Tula cookie – it looks like the contamination of two proverbs – «ломаться как копеечный пряник» (“cramble as a halfpenny cookie”) and «тупой, как сибирский валенок» (“dumb as a Siberian felt boot” = country bumpkin).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

тараканье молоко - coackroach milk

Translation news in Russian Federation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »