Why can\'t I read those Russian texts on this site?
Thread poster: Eckhard Boehle
Eckhard Boehle
Eckhard Boehle  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:27
English to German
+ ...
Mar 25, 2002

Those Russian texts are neither kyrillic nor hieroglyphs nor Greek to me. Perhaps I need some measure, technical aid or so to be able to read something reasonable out of Russian messages?

MIGUEL JIMENEZ
MIGUEL JIMENEZ  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
go to view, encoding and hit Cyrillic Mar 25, 2002

Hi!!

I am a Russian to Spanish and English to Spanish translator...

I always have Western European (ISO) as default encoding in my Internet Explores... probably you have the same, if you want to read the Cyrillic characters you just have to go to View, Encoding, and choose Cyrillic (windows)... everything in Russian will show up but that might mess some of the \"normal\" characters, when you are finished reading the Russian you will have to do the same thing and hi
... See more
Hi!!

I am a Russian to Spanish and English to Spanish translator...

I always have Western European (ISO) as default encoding in my Internet Explores... probably you have the same, if you want to read the Cyrillic characters you just have to go to View, Encoding, and choose Cyrillic (windows)... everything in Russian will show up but that might mess some of the \"normal\" characters, when you are finished reading the Russian you will have to do the same thing and hit Western European,

Hope it helps,

MIGUEL

PS, I do that all the time.
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
convert encoding Mar 25, 2002

If you\'re using Internet Explorer, go to View on the toolbar, scroll down to \'encoding\' and select the appropriate Cyrillic code (Windows, DOS, ISO, KOI8-R, KOI8-U). The Windows encoding is the most commonly used by Russian members but on rare occasions the last three appear as well. This may require additional uploading of a patch from your installation cd.

Na zdorovie!

Eckhard Boehle
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pozhaluista Mar 25, 2002

Dear Marcus,

Thank you! That was really easy! With the Encoding \"Cyrillic Windows\" all the non-cyrillic-non-hieroglyph-nor-greek-nor-georgian-etc letters turned out normal Russian kyrillic characters!

That\'s great. Now I can read this Russian stuff!

Na zdorovie!

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 23:27
Swedish to English
+ ...
Mouse-driven too! Mar 26, 2002

On the Compuserve browser, a scaled down version of IE, you right-click your mouse button, that\'s the only way. I just found that out. It has no View option.

Eckhard Boehle
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Marcus! Mar 26, 2002

I\'ve already answered yesterday, but cannot see the answer in the forum. Perhaps I did not do it correctly. Anyway, I tried what you suggested and it worked immediately.

Thanks!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
You need to do the same... Mar 26, 2002

...if you use Netscape, Opera or any other browser. Please use Cyrillics(Windows) or Win-1251 encoding, whatever you have in the options of your browser. Don\'t use the option of automatic encoding recognition, it doesn\'t work.

While posting in Russian, please ensure first that you have chosen the proper encoding, and then type in Russian, otherwise the text will be unreadable. Also, please don\'t paste any Russian text from Word or other applications, because pasted text will appear
... See more
...if you use Netscape, Opera or any other browser. Please use Cyrillics(Windows) or Win-1251 encoding, whatever you have in the options of your browser. Don\'t use the option of automatic encoding recognition, it doesn\'t work.

While posting in Russian, please ensure first that you have chosen the proper encoding, and then type in Russian, otherwise the text will be unreadable. Also, please don\'t paste any Russian text from Word or other applications, because pasted text will appear as ????????????? in ProZ pages.

Please feel free to ask more questions in case you have any problems.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why can\'t I read those Russian texts on this site?

Translation news in Russian Federation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »