Mircha: does it exist as a Russian or a Caucasian name?
Thread poster: Elisa Comito
Elisa Comito
Elisa Comito  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:06
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 20, 2011

Good morning everybody!

A publisher I work for has posed me this question and I ask it on this forum as I think that you surely know the answer, at least regarding the name's diffusion in Russia.

One of the heros of a novel, a muslim Caucasic (lak) man living in Siberia, is called Mircha. I translated the book (written in English by a U.S. author) and a collegue who knows Russian is now taking care of the translitteration of the names, from the American way to the "scie
... See more
Good morning everybody!

A publisher I work for has posed me this question and I ask it on this forum as I think that you surely know the answer, at least regarding the name's diffusion in Russia.

One of the heros of a novel, a muslim Caucasic (lak) man living in Siberia, is called Mircha. I translated the book (written in English by a U.S. author) and a collegue who knows Russian is now taking care of the translitteration of the names, from the American way to the "scientific" one. But she raised the problem of the name Mircha, which she thinks doesn't exist in Russia. Is that so? I ask because there are names which, even if they are not originary of a place, come into use (the book is contemporary and this man has a certain age, so he would have been given the name around 1930-1940). She found a similiar Caucasic name, Mirchat with the final "t".

What do you think? Is Mircha used in Russia or in the Caucasic area or, to choose a used name, we should in fact change it to Mirchat or something else?

Thank you,

Elisa

P.S. Obviously before changing the name we would ask the author's opinion but first I would like to have yours.
Collapse

Yuri Dubrov
Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:06
English to Russian
+ ...
must be МИРХАТ / Mirhat Sep 20, 2011

Mircha or Mircea is a Romanian given name, a form of the South Slavic name Mirče ( Мирче) that derives from the Slavic word mir.

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Sep 20, 2011

Yuri Dubrov wrote:

Mircha or Mircea is a Romanian given name, a form of the South Slavic name Mirče ( Мирче) that derives from the Slavic word mir.

Thank you, Yuri. So there are Russians with this name? Is it written in both ways (when you use the latin alphabet, I mean), Mircha and Mircea? Is the "e" felt in pronounciation? I ask this to understand how it would sound in Italian, for example in the Romanian Mircea it is pronounced while if I write Mircha the sound is different (for an Italian reader).

Elisa

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
or perhaps... Sep 20, 2011

..you meant that you would write Mirhat using the latin alphabet (but the sound of the "h" is "ch")? In any case I'll give your answer to the collegue!

Yuri Dubrov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Pronounciation Sep 20, 2011

Mirhat - pronounce it like Mirkhat (kh - a throat clearing noise) / means The one and only Amir/
Mircha - not a Russian name pronounce ch like [tʃ] in church

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Sep 20, 2011

Thank you! Are these names both used in Russia (even if the last one is not Russian)? I mean do you have any Mircha or Mirhat between your acquaintances?

Yuri Dubrov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
No acquaintances with such names Sep 20, 2011

but i.e. Mircea Lucescu is a Romanian former football player and current coach
Mirhat has over 50000 Google hits in Russian.

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Sep 20, 2011

Grazie!

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
* Sep 20, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mircea_Lucescu

[Edited at 2011-09-20 09:20 GMT]

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Sep 20, 2011

Thank you Alexander.

P.S. Ciao Valentina, Anna told me that you are following the discussion!

Tatiana Nefyodova
Tatiana Nefyodova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Never met Nov 7, 2011

anyone named Mircha or Mirhat here in Russia. Even when I participated in an election campaign and saw thousands and thousands of Russian names in written form.

Elena Volkova
Elena Volkova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:06
English to Russian
+ ...
No Nov 8, 2011

Elisa Comito wrote:

Thank you! Are these names both used in Russia (even if the last one is not Russian)? I mean do you have any Mircha or Mirhat between your acquaintances?

This is not a Russian name by any means - cannot comment whether it may be Caucasian though.

Krzysztof Kroszka
Krzysztof Kroszka
Maybe it's a Moldovan name? Nov 8, 2011

Hi,
Romanian and Moldovan are very close to each other, but part of Moldova was a Soviet republic.
That's why Romanian/Moldovan Mircea was also written Mircha, because of Russian influence.

Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mircea_Snegur

[Edited at 2011-11-08 17:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mircha: does it exist as a Russian or a Caucasian name?

Translation news in Russian Federation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »