Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Jul 8, 2013

Hi all,

Today, I was submitting an electronic invoice to a client and the link connecting my ID and password went to a 'Natalia Sorokun', who is a translator like me. But the photo is a man!! I don't know whether this is identity theft or not, I hope not and this is just some technical problem. I hope the real Natalia Sorokun checks her finances and ID. I just hope nobody's ID is stolen here.

This is very scary because it can look like a scam.

Best regards,
... See more
Hi all,

Today, I was submitting an electronic invoice to a client and the link connecting my ID and password went to a 'Natalia Sorokun', who is a translator like me. But the photo is a man!! I don't know whether this is identity theft or not, I hope not and this is just some technical problem. I hope the real Natalia Sorokun checks her finances and ID. I just hope nobody's ID is stolen here.

This is very scary because it can look like a scam.

Best regards,

Trinh Do
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:15
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
A Paper Shredder Jul 8, 2013

I hope it is just a technical problem like you have mentioned, and not an identity theft. By the way, we should all get paper shredders for our home offices, and get used to using them. Anything and everything with personal information on it (phone bills, invoices, pay slips, etc) goes through the shredder first before going to garbage.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:15
French to English
+ ...
Shredder? Jul 8, 2013

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

we should all get paper shredders for our home offices, and get used to using them.

How many sheets of sensitive information per day do you need to destroy? Don't know about you, but I have less than one on average, so I can just rip that poor single sheet into several pieces by hand and flush it down the toilet.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:15
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Hand-shredding Jul 9, 2013

Anton Konashenok wrote:

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

we should all get paper shredders for our home offices, and get used to using them.

How many sheets of sensitive information per day do you need to destroy? Don't know about you, but I have less than one on average, so I can just rip that poor single sheet into several pieces by hand and flush it down the toilet.

Back in my pre-translator days, one of my work colleagues in the office would tear up the document, and then stretch her legs with a walk around the office, depositing a little bit of the torn-up document in each trash receptacle she came across.

D. I. Verrelli

Matthew Paines
Matthew Paines
Finland
Local time: 13:15
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
Card receipts Jul 9, 2013

Anton Konashenok wrote:

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

Credit card receipts, at least. I build up a fat collection of them in my left rear pocket (my 'shredder pocket') they are going nowhere but the shredder

Trinh Do
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is of real concern Jul 9, 2013

I was very concerned because recently, I just translated a political document (possibly for a production company) and authoritarian governments would not like this concerning many countries, e.g. Turkey, Syria, Vietnam, etc. I don't like the look of this, as it affects everyone who's working hard and being in the euro zone or elsewhere in democratic countries.

Trinh Do
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is a technical issue, but good practice to avert identity theft Jul 11, 2013

Hi all,

It was a technical issue resolved by the agency, but still a good practice to avert identity theft. I closed my eyes and tried to 'disremember' the other translator's ID and personal details. I have changed my password too. I did notify the agency about this matter. Hopefully, the person is fictitious now.

Regards,

Trinh.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Potential identity theft

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »