Thread poster: Robert Ballien
Robert Ballien
Robert Ballien
United States
Local time: 14:28
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
May 25, 2019

I have a new client who's requesting that I install a purported security program called "MetaAccess" from OPSwat due to the sensitivity of the documents I'll be handling. I'm a bit skeptical here; I've never heard of this program, and I'm having a hard time finding any info on it that isn't promotional material from the manufacturer. (The only third-party info that pops info consists of a couple blatantly-astroturfed "user review" pages.) The info from OPSwat raises questions: installing Meta... See more
I have a new client who's requesting that I install a purported security program called "MetaAccess" from OPSwat due to the sensitivity of the documents I'll be handling. I'm a bit skeptical here; I've never heard of this program, and I'm having a hard time finding any info on it that isn't promotional material from the manufacturer. (The only third-party info that pops info consists of a couple blatantly-astroturfed "user review" pages.) The info from OPSwat raises questions: installing MetaAccess would seem to hand over the keys for my comp's security to the client & program. The info also makes several promises that seem unwise, such as automatic removal of programs it deems "unsafe." I can see things going wrong very quickly.

Has anyone worked with this program previously? The client is an established translation agency, but they have a few practices that are nonstandard for the industry. I'd like to collaborate with the company, but given the information I have currently, it seems as if installing MetaAccess would violate my own security and that of my other clients.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience with MetaAccess?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »