Thread poster: Andrea Re
Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:16
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 21, 2005

A friend of mine suggested I gave Karspersky a try, so I downloaded the free version and gave it a whirl
http://www.kaspersky.com/beta
Lo and behold, it found a virus (and I don't know what to do with it).
I have the free AVG and, after reading what it was said here about it, I thought I'd better tell you that not all viruses are seen by it. After Kaspersky found the infected file I checke
... See more
A friend of mine suggested I gave Karspersky a try, so I downloaded the free version and gave it a whirl
http://www.kaspersky.com/beta
Lo and behold, it found a virus (and I don't know what to do with it).
I have the free AVG and, after reading what it was said here about it, I thought I'd better tell you that not all viruses are seen by it. After Kaspersky found the infected file I checked it using AVG and NOTHING!!!!

The virus I found is Trojan-Downloader.JS.IstBar.k
in case someone has seen it before.

Happy virus scan,

Andrea
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:16
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Be careful with two AV programs Jun 21, 2005

Hi Andrea,
I don't know anything about Kaspersky nor AVG, but you should not run two AV programs on your machine.

I too had trojans on both my computers and had to reinstall completely the operating systems... It is not easy to get rid of them, unfortunately..

Best wishes!

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
one at the time Jun 21, 2005

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Hi Andrea,
I don't know anything about Kaspersky nor AVG, but you should not run two AV programs on your machine.

Best wishes!

Indeed! Infact I switched one off while I was running the other one.

Thanks Christel

Samir Sami
Samir Sami
Qatar
Local time: 10:16
Arabic to English
+ ...
No room for comparison!!! Jun 21, 2005

It is my first reply to any forum here in Proz. But I believe that when it comes to Antivirus software, I should try to make things clearer due to my deep interest and knowledge in the field.

AVG is made for free just to catch the eyes of customers and lure them to look at other paid services of Grisoft. It is made for that purpose (as well as other purposes, of course). It offers you too many features for a free product (the most significant of which is updating without restarting
... See more
It is my first reply to any forum here in Proz. But I believe that when it comes to Antivirus software, I should try to make things clearer due to my deep interest and knowledge in the field.

AVG is made for free just to catch the eyes of customers and lure them to look at other paid services of Grisoft. It is made for that purpose (as well as other purposes, of course). It offers you too many features for a free product (the most significant of which is updating without restarting the PC). But the free version does not have the same severe analysis and scanning as the other edition (the full-paid version). Try even the demo version and you will find it catching the virus (and may be others too!) easily. It goes like this. You pay, you get. So don't ask for top quality when you are taking something for free. I remember that I have read a comment about AVG free edition in a computer magazine that this product "is not worth its price"! However, I would like to say that I am not anti-Grisoft (anti-antivirus;-), actually I am using it with the Millennium and quite satisfied with it. Yet, I do not expect more than a basic protection from viruses, and nothing more.

As for Kaspersky, and to cut it short, it is the best I have ever seen and tried!!! Keep your PC without a firewall, and open it for hackers and viruses, and you are always safe!!

If you are so keen to have two antivirus programs, why not install two versions of Windows, and install the antivirus you want for each? I use three versions with only 2 antiviruses installed and leaving the third vulnerable!!

Sorry for such a long comment and reply, but I hope it would be useful.
Collapse

Yuri Dubrov
Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:16
English to Russian
+ ...
Kaspersky is not bad at all Jun 21, 2005

I think
it is a standard AVP-program in the former USSR countries.
Read these test results for more info.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-vs-paid-av.htm

best regards

Yuri

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
It is a TROJAN Jun 21, 2005

Andrea Re wrote:

I have the free AVG and, after reading what it was said here about it, I thought I'd better tell you that not all viruses are seen by it. After Kaspersky found the infected file I checked it using AVG and NOTHING!!!!

The virus I found is Trojan-Downloader.JS.IstBar.k
in case someone has seen it before.

A trojan is not a virus. I have TrojanHunter for the trojans.
By the way, kapersky is 50MB, avg 11MB.

AVG catches all the virus that come to my computer, for several years now. Of course, I check the updates every morning.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kaspersky has a competitive edge Jun 21, 2005

Total Recall wrote:

I think
it is a standard AVP-program in the former USSR countries.
Read these test results for more info.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-vs-paid-av.htm

best regards

Yuri

as a platform provider for some other anti-virus programs/services, even outside the former USSR. It has two (not one) virus search engines working on any given scan.

By this, I mean, you could be using another anti-virus brand and being processed by a Kaspersky platform operating under a license issued to that brand.

Of course, these products are stable (no betas). Advanced or developmental technology is out of such deals.

[Edited at 2005-06-21 19:25]

JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
Local time: 03:16
German to French
+ ...
Comparative chart Jun 21, 2005

For those who are interested, here is a comparative chart that includes free and non-free AV software.
Unfortunately, it is in French!

http://www.01net.com/Pdf/172-26.pdf

HTH

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is not such a thing as a free lunch..... Jun 21, 2005

or is there?

First of all a big thank you to Sam. You must me jesting... No need to apologize, on the contrary....

Following what Yury said, I downloaded TrojanHunter (or whatever it is called) and scanned my harddrive, but it found NOTHING. Is it because I used the free version or because the threat is too new.... either way it didn't work (unless of course Karspersy is having me on....). For now FREE Karspesky has indeed the edge.

Besides, does anybody kn
... See more
or is there?

First of all a big thank you to Sam. You must me jesting... No need to apologize, on the contrary....

Following what Yury said, I downloaded TrojanHunter (or whatever it is called) and scanned my harddrive, but it found NOTHING. Is it because I used the free version or because the threat is too new.... either way it didn't work (unless of course Karspersy is having me on....). For now FREE Karspesky has indeed the edge.

Besides, does anybody know what to do with a trojan?

Andrea
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:16
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
With Kaspersky 5 Jun 21, 2005

you can use either ordinary database (viruses only) or extended one (also Adware and Spyware). The choice is yours (you just have to choose within the program), it is made so that you can choose how much of your computer resources you can allocate to Antivirus program. But KAV 5 takes 3 times less resources than did version 4 anyway. Updates are hourly, when new virus appears, Kaspersky guarantees an antivirus data base update in 2 hours. Besides, Kaspersky Antivirus uses heuristic virus recogni... See more
you can use either ordinary database (viruses only) or extended one (also Adware and Spyware). The choice is yours (you just have to choose within the program), it is made so that you can choose how much of your computer resources you can allocate to Antivirus program. But KAV 5 takes 3 times less resources than did version 4 anyway. Updates are hourly, when new virus appears, Kaspersky guarantees an antivirus data base update in 2 hours. Besides, Kaspersky Antivirus uses heuristic virus recognition system- in human language that means it recognises also viruses not included in the database by their behaviour patterns.

KAV antivirus engine are used also as inbuilt in many Western produced corporative products.

I use KAV for last 8 years without single incident (on especially *GOOD* days I get even few hundred of infected emails).

I don't know the price at the moment, especially in the West, but be sure it is cheaper than it's western competitors. Yearly prolongation of licence few months ago cost me... I don't remember exactly, certainly below EUR 20.

Please see this AV comparison site:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Uldis, chairman of KAV (yet to be organised) fan club :

And, yes, please remember, before installing one Antivirus you must uninstall the other, otherwise they detect each other as Malware, start fighting between themselves, your computer crashes, and here you are- starting with Format:\C...

[Edited at 2005-06-21 18:09]
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I meant exactly this: Jun 21, 2005

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

And, yes, please remember, before installing one Antivirus you must uninstall the other, otherwise they detect each other as Malware, start fighting between themselves, your computer crashes, and here you are- starting with Format:\C...

[Edited at 2005-06-21 18:09]

Not simply "switch off", but definitively uninstall it. This might be very hard like with Norton which took me more than 2 hours to get rid of it. With other programs, this may be easier. You must make sure anyway that everything is completely uninstalled!

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I dont' dare give you much hope, Andrea... Jun 21, 2005

Andrea Re wrote:

Besides, does anybody know what to do with a trojan?

Andrea

I passed through this painful experience just a month ago (and still am bearing the consequences, of course).

In the beginning I too thought: a trojan is not a virus.... But the more I read about the subject, the more I got convinced that the only way to have again a safe computer (and I underline SAFE) is to reinstall completely Windows, i.e. reformate your hard disk. You can get rid of the trojan, of course, but the problem is that you don't know how many backdoors it already has opened. And this means to have a highly UNSAFE computer, for you and other people. You shouldn't even use it anymore for the Internet. That means also to store on the new system only data that you backuped when the computer surely was not infected yet, change your passwords (especially banking passwords and other "interesting" ones) and so on... It's really terrific what a trojan is able to do!

I heard people saying they got rid of the trojan and didn't have problems any more. Probably it depends also of the type of trojan it was; but I personally would not trust too much in the fact that everything is ok again ....

Sorry to sound that pessimistic, and I really hope for you that you find a less "painful" solution:-)

Best wishes to you!

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 09:16
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
for the trojan try this: Jun 22, 2005

SpyBot: http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

You should check also Ada-ware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Plese, note, that Trojan is not a virus by definition. It is a program, which promises you to do something good. When *you* start it, it is doing the
... See more
SpyBot: http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

You should check also Ada-ware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Plese, note, that Trojan is not a virus by definition. It is a program, which promises you to do something good. When *you* start it, it is doing the good thing, bbut it is doing and a bad thing.

The key difference between a virus and a trojan, is that you are starting the trojan, and the virus is starting generally by itself. There are more differences, but you can find more for example here:

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/9/lng/us/tpl/tpl01 : Virus FAQ. 811, 813

Best regards,

Misho
Collapse

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
got a message from Kaspersky saying.... Jun 22, 2005

....that all I had to do was to delete the file (that was stored in temporary files)
Christel Zipfel wrote:

I passed through this painful experience just a month ago (and still am bearing the consequences, of course).

Best wishes to you!

I wrote them back and said what you said and now waiting for their reply.
For now, I have done as they said and cleared the temporary files folder.

Thank you all SO much. I am becoming obsessed with all this, but for sure I will fork out some money to buy an antivirus (o anti trojan or what have you), if anything to sleep better at night.

Andrea

[Edited at 2005-06-22 08:45]

Update:
I have just heard from a friend of mine to whom I gave the Kasp web address. She is currently using AVG, and has been for a few years now.
Result of the scan:

Trojan.Java.ClassLoader.o
Trojan-Downloader.Java.OpenConnection.k
Trojan.Java.ClassLoader.Dummy.c
Exploit.Java.Bytverify

Lovely!!!

[Edited at 2005-06-22 09:09]

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
AVG Jun 22, 2005

Andrea Re wrote:
I have just heard from a friend of mine to whom I gave the Kasp web address. She is currently using AVG, and has been for a few years now.
Result of the scan:

Trojan.Java.ClassLoader.o
Trojan-Downloader.Java.OpenConnection.k
Trojan.Java.ClassLoader.Dummy.c
Exploit.Java.Bytverify

"... **when AVG does not detect any virus on the PC may not be caused by the presence of the virus but the other malware also known as ADWARE or SPYWARE.** [Trojans too]

These programs are **not viruses and that's why they even can't be detected as viruses (by antivirus program)**. Even so there are many programs capable to remove this stuff."

I quote that because I wouldn't like people to think that AVG is not a good program. As antivirus, it is excellent and very easy to use, to install, to uninstall (in one click and completely) and is only 11 MB.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AVG Vs Kaspersky

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »