Ho do I cancel McAfee subscription and get a refund for already deducted fee?
Thread poster: Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:38
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 16, 2007

Quite some time ago I used virus protection products from McAfee but was never really happy with them and thus changed to Norton.

A couple of days ago I received an automated message from McAfee saying that they will renew my subscription and consequently deduct the annual fee from my account using the details I´d given them long ago. And so they did today.

For days now I have been trying to contact them but don´t know how, since the e-mail address they used to infor
... See more
Quite some time ago I used virus protection products from McAfee but was never really happy with them and thus changed to Norton.

A couple of days ago I received an automated message from McAfee saying that they will renew my subscription and consequently deduct the annual fee from my account using the details I´d given them long ago. And so they did today.

For days now I have been trying to contact them but don´t know how, since the e-mail address they used to inform me of the subscription renewel is a non-reply one and I just don´t seem to be able to find a way to contact them through their website.

Am I just daft or is that the way they work? Subscribe with us and you´ll never be able to get out of the subscription because we hide our contact details VERY well.

Could anyone please advise me on how to get in touch with McAfee customer services.

I would be very grateful. Thanks a lot.

Manuela
Collapse

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Cancel the payment with your bank Oct 16, 2007

Hi,

I don't know how it works in your country, but if you can't get in touch with McAfee, maybe you could try contacting your bank and having the payment cancelled - you may even get a reaction from McAfee...

HTH
Marie-Céline

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
... Oct 16, 2007

http://service.mcafee.com/

If you click on "Go To Customer Service" on that page, there's a grey (or is it blue) box on the left side of the screen. That box seems to contain the menu, even though I can't see any of the links. They are there, however. If you move your mouse over the box, you will see the URL of the relevant link in the status bar of your browser. I managed to get to a page that li
... See more
http://service.mcafee.com/

If you click on "Go To Customer Service" on that page, there's a grey (or is it blue) box on the left side of the screen. That box seems to contain the menu, even though I can't see any of the links. They are there, however. If you move your mouse over the box, you will see the URL of the relevant link in the status bar of your browser. I managed to get to a page that lists the phone numbers of the support centers in the various countries in which McAfee operates. Since you're in the UK, this should be what you are looking for:

Information
Telephone Customer Service
To speak with a Customer Service representative, call 020 79490107. You may be asked for your registered email address and order number. Telephone charges may apply.
Estimated wait time: 10-30 minutes
Hours of Operation: 09.00-18.00 local, Monday through Friday
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:38
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Call their customer Service Oct 16, 2007

Hi Manuela,

I realize that their phone number is somewhat hidden in their website, here is the one for UK:

"Phone Customer Service

Information
To speak with a Customer Service representative, call 020 79490107. You may be asked for your registered email address and order number. Telephone charges may apply.
Hours of Operation: 09.00-18.00 local, Monday through Friday"... See more
Hi Manuela,

I realize that their phone number is somewhat hidden in their website, here is the one for UK:

"Phone Customer Service

Information
Hours of Operation: 09.00-18.00 local, Monday through Friday"

http://service.mcafee.com/FinishInfo.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1&st=PHONE
Collapse

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 16, 2007

Hi Nicole,

wow, that´s great. How did you find it? Maybe I´m really daft... I will try to call them, although the estimated waiting time puts me off a little

Hi Marie-Céline

Thanks for your suggestion, I tried the bank, but they told me they can´t do anything about it from their side, unfortunately.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hello again Oct 16, 2007

Hi Manuela,

I am a McAffee-user myself. I like it, it does slow down the system quite a bit, though.

I simply clicked on the McAffee icon on the screen of my laptop, clicked on "McAffee Help" and pulled up "Customer and Technical Support".

Best,

Nicole

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Just so you know... Oct 16, 2007

Norton does exactly the same kind of thing. Unbeknownst to me, I was automatically signed up for automatic subscription renewals about a year and a half ago. I got so fed up with their AV program that I switched (I don't want this to sound like I'm advertising somebody else's product, so I'll leave it at that) shortly afterwards, and thought my relationship with Norton was happily over.

A year later, I get a message saying that if I didn't cancel my subscription, it would be aut
... See more
Norton does exactly the same kind of thing. Unbeknownst to me, I was automatically signed up for automatic subscription renewals about a year and a half ago. I got so fed up with their AV program that I switched (I don't want this to sound like I'm advertising somebody else's product, so I'll leave it at that) shortly afterwards, and thought my relationship with Norton was happily over.

A year later, I get a message saying that if I didn't cancel my subscription, it would be automatically renewed in 30 days. So I go ahead and cancel it. I get the same message 20 days later (except the deadline had changed, of course), and proceed to cancel the "subscription" again. 10 days later, Norton charges my credit card and I'm obviously fuming at that point. When I got in touch with an online customer service representative, not only did I have to go through a bunch of PR "we want you to know that you are very valuable to us as a client" nonsense before I could even explain what the problem was, but also the customer representative pretty much knew what the problem was already, and treated it like something that happened every day (although I admit he was a really nice guy), which leads me to believe that Norton (and McAfee as well, it seems) uses this little tactic on purpose.

I know you were asking for help rather than for warnings, but since Nicole already provided some very useful info, and you seem to be frustrated with this, I thought I'd go ahead and warn you that it could happen again with Norton.
Collapse

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Marcelo Oct 16, 2007

Thanks for your words of warning.

I didn´t actually expect one of those companies to be any more customer friendly than the other, it´s just that I personally am happier with Norton than with McAfee.

But I suppose that will change should I want to cancel the subscription with them...:-)

By the way, did they solve your problem in the end?

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Nicole Oct 16, 2007

It seems they make getting in contact with them easier if you´re an actual customer of theirs. Thanks again.

That slowing down of the system was exactly one of those features I didn´t like abou the product.

Best,
Manuela

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Yep. Oct 16, 2007

Manuela Junghans wrote:
By the way, did they solve your problem in the end?

Yes they did. I got a refund about 10 business days later. The refund process was alright, it was the process leading up to it that made me want to go postal

BTW. If you want an AV that's really good and doesn't slow down your system (when you're up for a change), you can send me an e-mail message and I'll give you a couple of recommendations. Norton is just as much of a resource hog (i.e. will slow down your system) as McAfee, IMO.

[Edited at 2007-10-16 11:14]

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:38
English to Indonesian
+ ...
free antivirus Oct 16, 2007

have you guys tried free antivirus? i think they're pretty good too, as long as you update them daily. i use avira and portable clamav. so far, there's no real threat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antivirus_software#Freeware

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hey All Oct 20, 2007

Just a quick update on this forum post to let you know that I finally managed to get in touch with McAfee and....surprise...they got back in touch with me and promised to cancel my subscription and...even better... refund the already deducted money

So let´s keep our fingers crossed that this refund will materialise soon.

Have a nice weeken
... See more
Just a quick update on this forum post to let you know that I finally managed to get in touch with McAfee and....surprise...they got back in touch with me and promised to cancel my subscription and...even better... refund the already deducted money

So let´s keep our fingers crossed that this refund will materialise soon.

Have a nice weekend.

Manuela
Collapse

even better solution Jul 14, 2011

If you have a valid Windows license, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for free! Update the virus definitions daily, and you will have great protection, without bogging down the system. If you have something against Microsoft products, try AVG Free.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx - M
... See more
If you have a valid Windows license, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for free! Update the virus definitions daily, and you will have great protection, without bogging down the system. If you have something against Microsoft products, try AVG Free.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx - Microsoft Security Essentials

http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free - AVG Free
Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 14, 2011

[Edited at 2011-07-15 00:06 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ho do I cancel McAfee subscription and get a refund for already deducted fee?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »