Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:25
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 19, 2018

I’ve just been contacted by a French translation agency (Proz member since December 2017). Because their profile is not complete (as an address it says only Paris 75012, France) and their BB is empty, I did a small research and discovered that the same agency (same owner, same email), though with a slight different name, has already a BB with only two entries, both negative. As I cannot name names, if you’re interested in knowing more, feel free to contact me by email.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Report it Feb 19, 2018

I think the right thing to do is to file a support ticket to get the profile removed.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did send a ticket to staff about this matter Feb 19, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I think the right thing to do is to file a support ticket to get the profile removed.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I experienced the same thing a while back Feb 19, 2018

Teresa Borges wrote:
I did a small research and discovered that the same agency (same owner, same email), though with a slight different name, has already a BB with only two entries, both negative.

When I came across a very similar case, I submitted a support ticket and the two BB records were identified as linked. I think the two profiles remained (not entirely sure) but at least those negative entries were no longer hidden.

The onus is still on us to do these checks, but it does help when the correct information is visible and the outsourcer is not allowed to hide negative feedback.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 17:25
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Thank you for the warning Feb 19, 2018

Thank you for the warning and for the steps you and Sheila took to report the matter. Wily, yes? But we are wise to their tricks too.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to my support ticket Feb 20, 2018

As happened with Sheila before, I’ve just been informed that the two BB records are now linked.

Thanks Proz!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »