Lap Chu
Lap Chu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 9, 2019

I received an email from Cheryl requesting an English content
document with 11,543 words (46 Pages) translated into Chinese . He/She is also "proposing a cashier check or bank certified check for the payment."

Author's IP address: 173.244.44.34. I looked up and it is located in United States.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 05:51
Romanian to English
+ ...
Old, ancient scam Oct 9, 2019

This is a really old scam.
I would suggest to read the SCAM section at least once a week, to keep informed.

Stay safe,
Lee

[Edited at 2019-10-10 02:12 GMT]

Lap Chu

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
VPN Oct 10, 2019

Minnie Chu wrote:
The author's IP address is 173.244.44.34. I looked up, and it is located in United States.

One of the IP address look-up web sites that I visited said that the IP address is associated with a VPN, and if that is true, then the author can be anywhere. However, using a VPN is itself not suspect.

He/she is also "proposing a cashier check or bank certified check for the payment".

By the way, would you be able to tell the difference between a personal cheque, a cashier cheque and a certified cheque, if you received any of these?

I'm not from the USA, so all I have is Google. It is my understanding that certified and cashier's cheques cannot bounce (i.e. the cheque can't be issued if the money isn't available, and the money is sometimes set aside in the payer's account, so that he can't withdraw it either) and can't be cancelled by the payer, but such a cheque can be faked (i.e. it's a piece of paper that looks like a cheque, but isn't), and it may be a while for even a bank to realise that the cheque is fake. Meanwhile, most banks will have put money into your own account while they wait for the cheque to clear (and when it turns out to be fake, you lose the money). Right?

This PDF contains an entry that matches your offer:
http://www.translator-scammers.com/pdf/tsd-translator-scammers-addresses.pdf
(look for "46 pages")

Paul Rankin
Paul Rankin  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
I fell for this once and learned my lesson Oct 10, 2019

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. They send a check for payment, which seems to work and go through (because banks generally front you the money from checks instead of having you wait 10 business days to process it).

In the meantime while the bank figures out this check, the scammers were giving me all sorts of apologies and excuses, asking to cancel the project, and could I wire them the money back as a refund?

Of course I didn't. But they really tried hard
... See more
Same thing happened to me a few months ago. They send a check for payment, which seems to work and go through (because banks generally front you the money from checks instead of having you wait 10 business days to process it).

In the meantime while the bank figures out this check, the scammers were giving me all sorts of apologies and excuses, asking to cancel the project, and could I wire them the money back as a refund?

Of course I didn't. But they really tried hard to get me to send them money as a refund to their check. Only to find out the next week that the check was fraudulent and my bank whipped the money back out.

An easy solution to check the legitimacy of the scammers is to wait the full 10 business days to make sure their payments have 100% arrived.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Checks can take a long time to clear Oct 10, 2019

Paul Rankin wrote:

An easy solution to check the legitimacy of the scammers is to wait the full 10 business days to make sure their payments have 100% arrived.

Those checks can take a lot longer than ten days to clear. Folks on this forum have reported having those checks bounce after several of months.

ritatranslat (X)
ritatranslat (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
Same Oct 10, 2019

I believe we have the same scammer. Although scammer went by a different name. IP 173.244.44.40

Sent me a profile message through PROZ today asking for EN-CN translation of a document over 10k words. Insisted on cashier cheque. I didn't accept nor give out any personal info of course.

He claimed to be a researcher. But the document he sent me to review for quoting was no more than middle school level writing. Said researcher did not use any citation in the entire paper<
... See more
I believe we have the same scammer. Although scammer went by a different name. IP 173.244.44.40

Sent me a profile message through PROZ today asking for EN-CN translation of a document over 10k words. Insisted on cashier cheque. I didn't accept nor give out any personal info of course.

He claimed to be a researcher. But the document he sent me to review for quoting was no more than middle school level writing. Said researcher did not use any citation in the entire paper
Collapse

Anna Denzel (X)
Anna Denzel (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
Trying to figure out if the email I received is a scam Dec 29, 2019

I received an email through ProZ requesting a document that needs to be translated English to German 44 pages, 11,638 Pages. The person was not logged in on ProZ and only gave me her first name and a strange email consisting of only two letters and the rest numbers. The IP address search resulted in this but I don't really know what that means:

IP: 209.234.253.139
Decimal: 3521838475
Hostname: 209.234.253.139
ASN: 12989
ISP: IPVanish
Organization: IPVan
... See more
I received an email through ProZ requesting a document that needs to be translated English to German 44 pages, 11,638 Pages. The person was not logged in on ProZ and only gave me her first name and a strange email consisting of only two letters and the rest numbers. The IP address search resulted in this but I don't really know what that means:

IP: 209.234.253.139
Decimal: 3521838475
Hostname: 209.234.253.139
ASN: 12989
ISP: IPVanish
Organization: IPVanish
Services: Network sharing device or proxy server
Type: Corporate
Assignment: Likely Static IP
Blacklist:
Continent: North America
State/Region: California
City: Anaheim
Latitude: 33.8405 (33° 50′ 25.80″ N)
Longitude: -117.9526 (117° 57′ 9.36″ W)
Postal Code: 92801

I am new to ProZ and translation. How do I proceed to find out if this is a scam?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English content document worth 11,543 words (46 Pages) translated into Chinese

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »