Ivana Bojcic
Ivana Bojcic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2011)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Nov 15, 2014

Hi,

I have a Passolo project to translate and now I'm having problems calculating the words. The file is partially translated, I received it like that.
The agency won't tell me the exact amount of words to translate, they keep sending me only the number of strings to translate.
How do I calculate the price? Or words?

Thanks

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 20:43
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Go to String List > Statistics Nov 16, 2014

It should deliver the current statistics of the project and the different objects: To be translated, pre translated (fuzzies), untranslated, etc. in strings, words, characters, etc.

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:43
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
The agency won't tell me the exact amount of words to translate Nov 16, 2014

I never rely on the agency's number of words since, in my experience, this is often incorrect. In many cases, it seems the agency has relied upon the word count in MS Word, which is not a reliable figure.

Therefore, I always do an analysis of the source language file (using e.g. Trados Studio - or in your case Passolo), which is a more reliable figure and also provides information regarding repetitions, which are usually priced lower than unique words.

As far as calcula
... See more
I never rely on the agency's number of words since, in my experience, this is often incorrect. In many cases, it seems the agency has relied upon the word count in MS Word, which is not a reliable figure.

Therefore, I always do an analysis of the source language file (using e.g. Trados Studio - or in your case Passolo), which is a more reliable figure and also provides information regarding repetitions, which are usually priced lower than unique words.

As far as calculating the remaining number of words to be translated in your case, I would create a copy of the source language file and delete all TU's, which have already been translated before doing an analysis of the resulting (partial) file. This will then give you the number of untranslated words. (You should, of course, use the original complete file for the actual translation).

Hope you find this helpful!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passolo - pricing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »