https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/13657-workbench_translate%22_function_works_too_slow.html

Workbench 'translate" function works too slow
Thread poster: mayis
mayis
mayis
Türkiye
Local time: 22:49
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 28, 2003

Hi all,

When I try to translate a 16000 word RTF document with the 'translate' function the process starts and a few seconds later it starts to slow down. After a while it gets very very slow like the machine has hanged up but when I press a button or do any other thing I get immediate response. I thought this could happen because my document is corrupted and I tried other documents but I always get this with big documents. So I splitted this document into 5 pieces and the process w
... See more
Hi all,

When I try to translate a 16000 word RTF document with the 'translate' function the process starts and a few seconds later it starts to slow down. After a while it gets very very slow like the machine has hanged up but when I press a button or do any other thing I get immediate response. I thought this could happen because my document is corrupted and I tried other documents but I always get this with big documents. So I splitted this document into 5 pieces and the process works fine and in much more less time. I think the documents size effects the translate functions speed. Any ideas what can I speed up this function without splitting the document. I use Trados 5.5 Freelance. Thx.
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 21:49
German to English
+ ...
Reorganice Aug 28, 2003

Hello,
please check the databse version of your tm. Maybe it will help to chage the version to 5 (Export -> New TM ->Import).

Maybe it will help to reorganise your TM.

Hans

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 21:49
German to English
+ ...
RTF-> Word Aug 28, 2003

Hello,

and sometimes it will help to save your document as a real word file.

Hans

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:49
Danish to English
+ ...
slow translation Aug 28, 2003

It should not slow down that much with a large document. Have you defraged your PC lately? Before I get going with a large document, I always defrag the main drive, and at least once a week. With really large documents it is a good idea to split it into 2 or 3 documents and then combine them at the end before sending it off, still using the same TM of course. It is not Trados that is causing the problem, it is the PC and your word processing program.

mayis
mayis
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am using version 5 database and I often reorganise. This doesn't seem to be the cause. thx. Aug 28, 2003

DSC wrote:

Hello,
please check the databse version of your tm. Maybe it will help to chage the version to 5 (Export -> New TM ->Import).

Maybe it will help to reorganise your TM.

Hans

mayis
mayis
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Office 2000 Aug 28, 2003

I am using Office 2000 with Windows XP on a Pentium 4 machine. Maybe I should upgrade to Office XP. For defragmentation I always keep my drive in good shape so thats can't be the answer. And I also split large documents but I am just trying to find a simpler way.) Thx again.

BLANGSTED wrote:

It should not slow down that much with a large document. Have you defraged your PC lately? Before I get going with a large document, I always defrag the main drive, and at least once a week. With really large documents it is a good idea to split it into 2 or 3 documents and then combine them at the end before sending it off, still using the same TM of course. It is not Trados that is causing the problem, it is the PC and your word processing program.

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check your PC's memory and antivirus program Aug 28, 2003

Hi.
One of two things could be having an effect on speed: 1. Your RAM memory may be too small. Remember that when you perform the Translate function, Trados converts the file to RTF format, which can be quite heavy. Second, I have found that if I have my anti-virus software in the "Auto-protect" mode, the Translate and Analyze functions slow-down. If you deactivate the "auto-protect" it generally speeds up.

HIH.
Ricardo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench 'translate" function works too slow

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »