Trados Freelance 6.5 won't run in a network
Thread poster: RobinB
RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:28
German to English
Oct 2, 2003

Trados Europe (i.e. Ireland) told us in an e-mail the other day that Freelance versions 6.5 and higher won't run - in fact, they won't even *install* - on computers that are registered on a network domain.

Many freelances use their TWB on standalone PCs, but many others have small networks in their office. They may also use Trados on a laptop, which they then connect to their network to transfer files, etc. They don't necessarily use TWB itself as a networked solution.

... See more
Trados Europe (i.e. Ireland) told us in an e-mail the other day that Freelance versions 6.5 and higher won't run - in fact, they won't even *install* - on computers that are registered on a network domain.

Many freelances use their TWB on standalone PCs, but many others have small networks in their office. They may also use Trados on a laptop, which they then connect to their network to transfer files, etc. They don't necessarily use TWB itself as a networked solution.

But Trados evidently doesn't want Freelance to even "smell" a network, and suggests that Freelance users should upgrade to LSP (at a price, of course). I wonder if anybody who just bought the 6.5 upgrade was aware of this new limitation?

Comments, anybody?

Robin

Trados has now responded (real, real fast!) on the TW_Users group at Yahoo Groups. Basically, if you have a PDC (Primary Domain Controller), Freelance 6.5 and above won't work. Whether this means *any* PDC (e.g. incl. a communications system) isn't yet clear. Check out TW_Users!

[Edited at 2003-10-02 10:53]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:28
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Limitations of the Freelance version Oct 2, 2003

RobinB wrote:
I wonder if anybody who just bought the 6.5 upgrade was aware of this new limitation?

If I'm not mistaken this limitation exists since the version 3, when the software was first divided into two versions.
The Freelance version is intended for use by a single person on a single PC, and with a set of no more than 5 languages.

Gianfranco

PS: sorry, I'm not sure about what I said any more. I never tried to install this software in a network.
Perhaps the limitation I remember was the inability to 'share' a TM over a network, which is certainly not possible using the FL version.

[Edited at 2003-10-02 09:43]

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:28
English to Polish
+ ...
That is a quick answer to people who managed to multiply their copies. Oct 2, 2003

Trados probably smelled a rat. It was possible to use one copy of Trados on multiple workstations.

But 6.5 is not out yet, they may solve that problem before they oficially release it.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Not really Oct 2, 2003

I guess the intetion was not to allow it to run simultaneously on many workstation. But not to allow it to work on a single workstation, connected to a network? I started with 6.0 and managed to run it on a network.

[Edited at 2003-10-02 09:20][/quote]

RobinB
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
This is a new "feature" starting with 6.5 Oct 2, 2003

Freelance 6 will work happily enough in a domain network, but of course it still works basically as a standalone version. If you want multiclient ability (for memory databases), you have to use LSP, which is fair enough.

But a lot of freelances have their own mini-networks (domains, not just workgroups), so no doubt they'll be thinking of switching to DV, Wordfast, etc.

Robin

RobinB
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's what dongles are for Oct 2, 2003

rzawadzk wrote:

I guess the intetion was not to allow it to run simultaneously on many workstation. But not to allow it to work on a single workstation, connected to a network? I started with 6.0 and managed to run it on a network.

[Edited at 2003-10-02 09:20]
[/quote]

You can't run Freelance on multiple installations unless you have the equivalent number of dongles, so that's not the problem. This new "feature" appears to be a deliberate move on the part of Trados, i.e. even if you only need a single Trados installation on a network, you'll have to buy the more expensive LSP.

Robin

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Network limitations for previous versions and new limitations.... Oct 2, 2003

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

If I'm not mistaken this limitation exists since the version 3, when the software was first divided into two versions.
The Freelance version is intended for use by a single person on a single PC, and with a set of no more than 5 languages.

Not really, with the previous versions of Freelance Trados, you were unable to share a memory (this does not apply to the Team edition), but still could use the program in standalone mode in a network environment.
Now this new feature switches the program in demo mode if a Primary Domain Controller is detected. Trados states that is still possible to run the program in Workgroup-based networks, but, for me, this is an unacceptable limitation to the kind of environment to choose, and a very good reason to not upgrade the program.

Best

Massimo

[Edited at 2003-10-02 12:53]

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:28
English to French
Waow! Oct 2, 2003

I am impressed. This is yet another notch up the scale of lousy business practices. Stroking the CAT in the wrong direction, if you ask me.

Anyway, I guess they have to add "new features", to justify yet an other expensive upgrade.

TWB 5.5 had TM encryption, TWB 6.0 changed encryption to prevent compatibility with 5.5, if I am not mistaken, and 6.5 introduces system restrictions without even warning its customers!

I wonder if they at least managed to imp
... See more
I am impressed. This is yet another notch up the scale of lousy business practices. Stroking the CAT in the wrong direction, if you ask me.

Anyway, I guess they have to add "new features", to justify yet an other expensive upgrade.

TWB 5.5 had TM encryption, TWB 6.0 changed encryption to prevent compatibility with 5.5, if I am not mistaken, and 6.5 introduces system restrictions without even warning its customers!

I wonder if they at least managed to improve anything about it. Do they now have a shortcut to return to the previous segment now? (Would be a real shame if they didn't. Wordfast's developper even wrote up the 4 line of code missing for that.)

Actually, I created a web page to explain why I use Wordfast and not Trados. (www.your-translations.com/why_wordfast.htm) and I would be quite interested to hear comments from people who have the latest Trados version, positive or negative. Any improvements? Any downgrade (like this one)?

Cheers,
Sylvain
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Good news Oct 31, 2003

For those of you who don't subscribe to the TW_users group, here's what Daniel Brockmann of Trados announced there this morning:

Hi all,

thank you all for your valuable feedback regarding your networking needs.

I am pleased to inform you that based on your feedback, TRADOS has removed
the domain-based networking restriction that was originally planned for
TRADOS 6.5 Freelance.

In the final release that will ship from mid-November, there will be no
networking change with respect to earlier versions.

Thanks again for your involvement and commitment to helping TRADOS develop
better software for you.

I hope you will welcome this move.

Thanks and best regards,
Daniel

Daniel Brockmann
Product Manager Translation Tools

doktordave
doktordave
English to French
network problems with trados 6.5.5.438 Feb 18, 2005

Hi There,

I'm a freelance translator sharing office space, internet connection and network (1 file server running Win NT4, 2 workstations with XPPro) with a fellow German translator.

We recently bought 2 versions of Trados Freelance 6.5.5.438 with softkey licensing.

Whenever I start Trados on my computer, my friend can't use his own versions anymore, and vice-versa.

Though I perfectly understand Trados need to fight piracy and stuff, I still do
... See more
Hi There,

I'm a freelance translator sharing office space, internet connection and network (1 file server running Win NT4, 2 workstations with XPPro) with a fellow German translator.

We recently bought 2 versions of Trados Freelance 6.5.5.438 with softkey licensing.

Whenever I start Trados on my computer, my friend can't use his own versions anymore, and vice-versa.

Though I perfectly understand Trados need to fight piracy and stuff, I still don't get their policy. With computers and OS becoming cheaper, freelance translators will enventually have more and more networks (and not only those nice but really patchy workstation networks).

In short, I have two perfectly legally bought versions of Trados which I can't use...

I'm probably not the only one in that case, anybody has found a workaround ? Don't misunderstand me : I just want to be able to use my Freelance edition simultaneously with my colleague while still having access to Internet, shared resources, etc.

The previous messages in that thread seem to suggest the problem had been solved. Am I missing something ?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Dave
Collapse

RobinB
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados strikes again Feb 18, 2005

Dave,

Unfortunately Trados reversed its earlier decision and crippled Freelance 6.5.5 with this user-hostile "feature". I can imagine that a lot of people aren't very happy about this.

It's fundamentally pathetic that you can't use more than 1 copy of 6.5.5 on a network, and just shows a) how little Trados understands about its user market, and b) how little Trados cares about its user market.

Though I perfectly understand Trados need to fight piracy and stuff, I still don't get their policy. With computers and OS becoming cheaper, freelance translators will enventually have more and more networks (and not only those nice but really patchy workstation networks).

It's easy to get the impression that Trados simply doesn't understand the way many translators work today (e.g. office and resource sharing, "proper" networks). Some people might also argue that Trados stopped listening to freelance users about 1993.

I'm probably not the only one in that case, anybody has found a workaround ?

I'd suggest buying Fusion licenses and trying to sell on your Trados dongles to some poor, unsuspecting colleagues... Or simply contact Trados and tell them of your problem and ask for your money back.
Robin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Freelance 6.5 won't run in a network

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »