Trados on Linux system
Thread poster: EHI (X)
EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 14:49
Oct 31, 2009

Has anybody tried using Trados (2007 and 2009) on a Linux system with the help of VirtualBox or the like ? If yes, how is the performance?

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
On Windows... Oct 31, 2009

Lutz Molderings wrote:

Has anybody tried using Trados (2007 and 2009) on a Linux system with the help of VirtualBox or the like ? If yes, how is the performance?

From several years I use Trados and other CAT tools on virtual machines as secondary environments (mainly for test and compatibility purposes, e.g. now, I have an Idiom project, Idiom Desktop Workbench conflicts with DVX because it shares some registry entries with his ancestor, so I prefer the virtual machine to a mess in my primary configuration).
Although I use(d) mainly Windows as host machines (Virtual PC and VMWare), I think it's comparable.

If works smoothly for small and medium size projects but:
1) you need to reserve at least 1 GB of RAM for the guest machine.
2) you should use fixed size disk files (IMO the performance and reliability may be degraded if you allow the file to be expanded automatically)
3) if necessary, defragment your host drive before/after the setup, the disk file should be continuous.
4) the network performance may be degraded.
5) the heavy multitasking use may be degraded if you assign only one processor to the virtual machine.

I suppose it will work better on Linux, in a comparable configuration Windows (Vista) eats 1,2 GB RAM on startup, Linux (Ubuntu 8.04) eats only 0,4 GB, so you'll have more RAM for the guest machine.

Trados 2007 will work fine, for Trados 2009, I'm not sure, it's really slower in the basic I/O operations and 2 GB of RAM seems a must.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-10-31 19:44 GMT]

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Yes, T2006 Oct 31, 2009

I'm using Trados 2006 in XP in VirtualBox in Ubuntu.
It works fine, no problem at all...
There is a total of 2 GB RAM in the system, with 900 Mb allocated to VirtualBox.

My XP is not allowed to connect to the Internet (except for a few seconds every few months when it's needed to activate a license or else) since I don't want to clog it with a firewall and the like. It has a fixed ip which is blocked by the modem. It's a great advantage on many levels, but I'm not sure i
... See more
I'm using Trados 2006 in XP in VirtualBox in Ubuntu.
It works fine, no problem at all...
There is a total of 2 GB RAM in the system, with 900 Mb allocated to VirtualBox.

My XP is not allowed to connect to the Internet (except for a few seconds every few months when it's needed to activate a license or else) since I don't want to clog it with a firewall and the like. It has a fixed ip which is blocked by the modem. It's a great advantage on many levels, but I'm not sure if Trados 2009 would work properly without being connected, it's one of the reasons why I'm a bit reluctant about upgrading.

Florence

[Modifié le 2009-11-01 13:40 GMT]
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 1, 2009

Thank you both of you.
I have 4 GB of RAM, so hopefully memory won't be an issue.
I will give it try and let you know how 2009 performs.

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Ubuntu Nov 1, 2009

Hi Lutz

I use SDL Trados 2007 on a virtual machine running in transparent mode on Ubuntu and it works fine.

Anto

Stacy Macaulay
Stacy Macaulay
Germany
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
How does it compare Aug 7, 2010

Hi there,
Good to hear that Trados works on Linux. How does the performance compare to running Trados in a Vista / Windows 7 environment? I have Lenovo S12 netbook and am very interested in using ubunto for reasons of OS efficiency as I truly believe that efficiency will make this netbook into a real performer, at least for translation purposes and of course the added stability would be great.
Looking forward to hearing how the performance compares.
Thanks,
Stace

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Will your netbook display be big enough? Aug 7, 2010

Apart from the lower processor power of a netbook, there is one main reason, I would not use a netbook for translation work. The 10 to 12" screen is much too small to work comfortably in Studio 2009 (not to speak about 2007, which would even be worse because you need at least two windows). Obviously, you may connect an external monitor, but then you are defeating the main purpose of using a netbook, which is the light weight to carry around.

On the virtualization issue, I can confi
... See more
Apart from the lower processor power of a netbook, there is one main reason, I would not use a netbook for translation work. The 10 to 12" screen is much too small to work comfortably in Studio 2009 (not to speak about 2007, which would even be worse because you need at least two windows). Obviously, you may connect an external monitor, but then you are defeating the main purpose of using a netbook, which is the light weight to carry around.

On the virtualization issue, I can confirm that Studio runs fine under VirtualBox hosted on Ubuntu. I am using this configuration on older Thinkpad notebooks (now also Lenovo), which I use for training purposes. As their RAM cannot be expanded above 2 GB, I installed Xubuntu (a less resource consuming version of Ubuntu) as host and run Studio in a VM of VirtualBox with 1 GB of RAM. It runs fine, obviously not so fast as on a modern PC with faster processor and more RAM, but it is acceptable. I also use VirtualBox for test purposes on other machines and there I join Gregorz in what he says. If you configure the VM properly and give it enough RAM (ideally use a host with a 64 bit OS and 8 or more GB RAM), you may not even notice a difference between Studio running in the VM and on the host.

Walter
Collapse

Tomi Dobaj
Tomi Dobaj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Topic worthy of reanimation Feb 16, 2012

Hello everyone!

Nowadays Ubuntu seem to has overgrown Windows completely (functionality-wise), so I am wondering if you guys have any more info/experience on running Studio 2009/2011 in Linux.

Do you use Wine now or VirtualBox?
Does one have to install the windows' .NET and Java applications before virtually installing Studio?
Are there any tricks when trying to get all the bits and pieces right?

How about Multiterm, does it work smoothly this
... See more
Hello everyone!

Nowadays Ubuntu seem to has overgrown Windows completely (functionality-wise), so I am wondering if you guys have any more info/experience on running Studio 2009/2011 in Linux.

Do you use Wine now or VirtualBox?
Does one have to install the windows' .NET and Java applications before virtually installing Studio?
Are there any tricks when trying to get all the bits and pieces right?

How about Multiterm, does it work smoothly this way? And adding terms to the termbase while translating?

I would definitely move to Ubuntu if I knew I could use Studio normally, there is no other excuse to keep Windows on.
Collapse

ElenaCM (X)
ElenaCM (X)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 2007 on VirtualBox (Ubuntu) - Help-Details please Feb 13, 2013

Maria Antonietta Ricagno wrote:

Hi Lutz
I use SDL Trados 2007 on a virtual machine running in transparent mode on Ubuntu and it works fine.

Anto

Hi Anto,

Please allow me to revive this post.
Following a serious hard disk crash on my main PC (just over 1 year old!) I got back to my older hard disk with only 160 GB. My laptop running Windows XP is my backup system for work at the moment, but I would love to have a full setup on my desktop PC with the virtual machine option you mention.
I have successfully installed Ubuntu 12.04 and VirtualBox. Here I am running a Windows XP virtual machine. All Windows XP updates and Office 2007 are also properly installed on this virtual machine, but when I try to install SDL Trados 2007 (SP2), the installation fails exactly at the "SDL 2007 Freelance" step. Obviously I choose not to proceed with the rest of the components as this is the key one for me.
The Setup program uncompressed OK both msi files (SDLT2007FL.Msi & ISScript1050.Msi) but then a Windows Installer windows appears with parameters instructions and only an OK button at the bottom. So I click on "OK" and the next window is "Failed to install SDL Trados 2007 Freelance. Continue with other components?"

I have tried several times and the scenario is always the same. I am not sure of what to try next. Does it ring any bell to you? Any tip you could provide?
Thanks a lot in advance,

Elena

Nurgifari
Nurgifari
Indonesia
Local time: 20:49
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Net Framework Problem? Mar 4, 2013

ElenaCM wrote:

Hi Lutz

Anto

Hi Anto,

Following a serious hard disk crash on my main PC (just over 1 year old!) I got back to my older hard disk with only 160 GB. My laptop running Windows XP is my backup system for work at the moment, but I would love to have a full setup on my desktop PC with the virtual machine option you mention.
I have successfully installed Ubuntu 12.04 and VirtualBox. Here I am running a Windows XP virtual machine. All Windows XP updates and Office 2007 are also properly installed on this virtual machine, but when I try to install SDL Trados 2007 (SP2), the installation fails exactly at the "SDL 2007 Freelance" step. Obviously I choose not to proceed with the rest of the components as this is the key one for me.
The Setup program uncompressed OK both msi files (SDLT2007FL.Msi & ISScript1050.Msi) but then a Windows Installer windows appears with parameters instructions and only an OK button at the bottom. So I click on "OK" and the next window is "Failed to install SDL Trados 2007 Freelance. Continue with other components?"

I have tried several times and the scenario is always the same. I am not sure of what to try next. Does it ring any bell to you? Any tip you could provide?
Thanks a lot in advance,

Elena

Hi,

Is it possible to update Net framework on a virtual XP? Have you tried it? Or have you already found another solution?

ElenaCM (X)
ElenaCM (X)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Framework updates OK on Windows XP running on VirtualBox Dec 3, 2013

Nurgifari wrote:

ElenaCM wrote:

Hi Lutz

Anto

Hi Anto,

Thanks a lot in advance,

Elena

Hi,

Is it possible to update Net framework on a virtual XP? Have you tried it? Or have you already found another solution?

Hi,
Sorry about replying so late, I stopped following this thread as I almos gave up on this.
Net Framework updates successfully just like any other Windows update. Three versions (framework 2.0 and 3.0 both with SP2 and framework 3.5 SP1) are currently installed on my Windows XP running on VirtualBox. However, no joy yet as to SDL Trados 7 installation. Still the same error, so I still have to use an older laptop for Trados jobs.
Elena

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What I don't understand... Mar 19, 2015

...in the first instance: Why there is no Linux version of Trados Studio 2014 Freelance?

Well, well:
“Wordfast Pro is the only major commercial TM tool on the market that runs natively on Windows, Mac and Linux.”
(http://www.wordfast.com/products_wordfast_pro)

[Edited at 2015-03-19 12:35 GMT]

VaclavCermak
VaclavCermak
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Comparison May 28, 2020

Péter Tófalvi wrote:

...in the first instance: Why there is no Linux version of Trados Studio 2014 Freelance?

Well, well:
“Wordfast Pro is the only major commercial TM tool on the market that runs natively on Windows, Mac and Linux.”
(http://www.wordfast.com/products_wordfast_pro)

[Edited at 2015-03-19 12:35 GMT]

Is Wordfast functionally comparable to Trados Studio? I mean if it can reliably handle all kinds of file types, etc.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Comparable May 28, 2020

In one word, yes, it is comparable, but you have to see for yourself, depending on your specific needs.

It is worth noting most CAT tools can handle a host of different file formats and offer some inte-operability functionnality (for example, many can handle Trados SDLXLIFF files and/or SDLPPX packages, albeit with some limitations).

If you are on GNU/Linux, you can review some of your options on this wiki page I have cr
... See more
In one word, yes, it is comparable, but you have to see for yourself, depending on your specific needs.

It is worth noting most CAT tools can handle a host of different file formats and offer some inte-operability functionnality (for example, many can handle Trados SDLXLIFF files and/or SDLPPX packages, albeit with some limitations).

If you are on GNU/Linux, you can review some of your options on this wiki page I have created: https://translateonlinux.org/
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados on Linux system

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »