Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 17:21
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 28, 2003

Hi everyone.

I need some advice rather urgently. I'm using TRADOS 5.5 and would like to add a new language so that I can create a translation memory from this language into English. Is there any way I can do this without reinstalling the software completely? And if I am forced to reinstall the software, does it mean my existing translation memories would get wiped?

MTIA for any useful tips you can provide.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL
Write
... See more
Hi everyone.

I need some advice rather urgently. I'm using TRADOS 5.5 and would like to add a new language so that I can create a translation memory from this language into English. Is there any way I can do this without reinstalling the software completely? And if I am forced to reinstall the software, does it mean my existing translation memories would get wiped?

MTIA for any useful tips you can provide.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL
WriteWord Translations
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:21
English to German
+ ...
Which version? Oct 29, 2003

Hi Rowan,
Unfortunately, you did not specify which version of T5.5 you're using - LSP or Freelance?

Ralf

Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 17:21
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Freelance Oct 29, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Rowan,
Unfortunately, you did not specify which version of T5.5 you're using - LSP or Freelance?

Ralf

Oh yes, sorry about that. It's Freelance.

I have actually ended up uninstalling it and then reinstalling it with the new language added. Fortunately, this process went smoothly and I didn't lose any existing memories. But it seemed to be the only way I could do it. However, if anyone knows of a less drastic method, I'd still be interested to learn of it.

Best Regards

ROWAN M.

katstan
katstan  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Languages Nov 2, 2003

I had the same problem the other way round. I used the \"TRADOS REPAIR\" function instead of removing and reinstalling it and it was a disaster both times until I found out the problem: it installed languages like Polish without asking me which languages I wanted.
So then my memories would not work!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding a New Language in TRADOS

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »