Could anyone explain 'placeables' in TRADOS 6? Can't get them to work...
Thread poster: katstan
katstan
katstan  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 2, 2003

Hi everyone:

could anyone explain about the placeables in TRADOS 6? I can´t get them to work....

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:08
English to German
+ ...
Be more specific Nov 2, 2003

Hi Katharina,
Can you provide more details, please?

Do you need to know what the concept of placeables mean?
Which editor are you using (Word or TagEditor)?
What exactly is the problem?
Which error message (if any) do you get?

Thanks, Ralf

katstan
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Placeables Nov 2, 2003

In Word. Haven´t used Tageditor yet.
They come up on the toolbar

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 08:08
German to English
+ ...
What is a placeable Nov 2, 2003

I take it you mean what is a placeable and how do you use them....

Let's start from the beginning....

I work with a split screen in Trados - Word fills about the bottom 3/4 of the screen, trados the top 1/4. I size the windows accordingly. I always work with multiterm running and term recognition switched on (unless it happens to be messing up my file, in which case I switch it off - but that's a rare occurence).

There are two kinds of placeables - red ones
... See more
I take it you mean what is a placeable and how do you use them....

Let's start from the beginning....

I work with a split screen in Trados - Word fills about the bottom 3/4 of the screen, trados the top 1/4. I size the windows accordingly. I always work with multiterm running and term recognition switched on (unless it happens to be messing up my file, in which case I switch it off - but that's a rare occurence).

There are two kinds of placeables - red ones and blue ones. The red ones will give you entries from your multiterm terminology database, the blue ones are things like dates, numbers, hyperlinks, etc.

When you see that trados has found a placeable (check your trados window to see if one of the words has a red or blue line beside it - either above or below - can't remember without actually seeing it and I don't have trados running right now coz I'm off to bed!), then click on the placeable button in the right color with the two arrows pointing in to the center (in your word toolbar) to get that term or number or hyperlink or whatever into your word document without having to type it in. If you need the placeable after it, use the placeable button with the arrow pointing to the right. To get the one before it, use the button with the arrow pointing to the left.

OK, that was a quick two minute rundown on placeables. Hope it made sense!

Best,

Alison
Collapse

katstan
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Placeables Nov 3, 2003

That sure does make sense!!

Because I have not been using Multiterm up to now!!

So, it sounds like the placeables only work with Multiterm............ so why are they shown up on the TRADOS toolbar??

Now I know why they don´t react to touch!!
´cos I don´t have Multiterm on, right??

Thank you very much!! Have to learn Multiterm now - have left it on the side, while I tackled with TRADOS!!

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
The blue ones Nov 3, 2003

will work without Multiterm. They're usually numbers or such like. So if you see a blue line under something in workbench you can use the blue arrows on the toolbar to copy them into the target segment. The ones that are underlined in red are the ones in Multiterm - and of course you need Mulriterm running to get those.

katstan
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Placeables Nov 3, 2003

Thanks a million for your help.

Guess it´s time to start working with Multiterm too!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could anyone explain 'placeables' in TRADOS 6? Can't get them to work...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »