Chantal Henno
Chantal Henno  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:35
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 25, 2003

Hi all,
I hope someone can help me. I know this topic has been asked sometimes in the past, but I can't find it.
In Trados (Word) I'm having problems with the fonts. The text is in Arial, but when I open the translation unit, it changes to all kinds of other fonts like Times New Roman, Small capital, Italic, etc...
I've had this problem before with only a few documents, but now apparently this is happening to all my documents in Word. I haven't changed any settings at all. ... See more
Hi all,
I hope someone can help me. I know this topic has been asked sometimes in the past, but I can't find it.
In Trados (Word) I'm having problems with the fonts. The text is in Arial, but when I open the translation unit, it changes to all kinds of other fonts like Times New Roman, Small capital, Italic, etc...
I've had this problem before with only a few documents, but now apparently this is happening to all my documents in Word. I haven't changed any settings at all.

While I'm at it, does anyone ever had the problem that Word returns an error message, that it has detected a problem (without telling what problem) en then closes and reopens. This is making me loose a lot of time, and it's sometimes really making me crazy.
Thanks for any help, especially on the fonts, as that is the most urgent problem.
Thanks in advance
Chantal
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details, please Dec 25, 2003

Hi Chantal,
First of all, I'm moving this thread to Trados Support.

Font changes are often related to bad formatting of the source document. Have a look at the formatting information in the style used for a paragraph where you get this behaviour. Often Word users change the formatting manually without adapting the style applied to that paragraph (that said, many users don't have a clue about templates and styles in the first place...). Since Trados copies the source tar
... See more
Hi Chantal,
First of all, I'm moving this thread to Trados Support.

Font changes are often related to bad formatting of the source document. Have a look at the formatting information in the style used for a paragraph where you get this behaviour. Often Word users change the formatting manually without adapting the style applied to that paragraph (that said, many users don't have a clue about templates and styles in the first place...). Since Trados copies the source target into a temporary RTF document and pastes the translation back, it will generally use the style set for the paragraph.

With respect to your other problem, can you please provide more details? Which versions are you using exactly (i.e. including the build no. for Trados and any Service Releases for Word)? Which operating system? How much RAM does your machine have?

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Chantal Henno
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
styles and formatting Dec 25, 2003

Hi Ralf,
first of all thanks a lot for your prompt reply.
I have checked the style and formatting of the files and they do contain some very weird font types and styles. I didn't realise the problem in Trados was due to this. Do you normally change the style and fonts completely in that case? I know how to do it, but it seems quite a lot of work.

Anyway, in a particular text I had a paragraph which contained several sentences in the same font. When I used Trados, there
... See more
Hi Ralf,
first of all thanks a lot for your prompt reply.
I have checked the style and formatting of the files and they do contain some very weird font types and styles. I didn't realise the problem in Trados was due to this. Do you normally change the style and fonts completely in that case? I know how to do it, but it seems quite a lot of work.

Anyway, in a particular text I had a paragraph which contained several sentences in the same font. When I used Trados, there was one sentence that took the same font, another one that took the bold and smaller font and yet another that took the small capital. Can you explain that?

About the other problem: I work with operating system Win XP, with 512 MB of RAM, Office XP. Build version 247 for Trados 5.5 and Build version 310 for Trados 6.0. Sometimes the error occurs once every 2 or 3 hours, and sometimes every 10 minutes. Then I really have to restart my computer, because my hard disk keeps working on something (???) and even if I only restart Trados, the problem persists. Sometimes even Trados itself is blocked and returns an error, but that doesn't happen so often. I think there must be a conflict somewhere between Word and Trados, but I've tried reinstalling both programs, but problem remains.
Thanks for your help, it's so kind of you to devote your time to us, troubled Trados-users.
It's still thursday, so I wish you a late night Merry Christmas!
Thanks, Chantal
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which Word version? Dec 26, 2003

Hi again, Chantal,
I have checked the style and formatting of the files and they do contain some very weird font types and styles. I didn't realise the problem in Trados was due to this.

Strictly speaking, this is not a Trados problem, but a Word problem related to the source document.

Do you normally change the style and fonts completely in that case? I know how to do it, but it seems quite a lot of work.

It depends, but generally the answer is yes... and if you change the styles to match the (manual) formatting in the document, it shouldn't be that bad.

Anyway, in a particular text I had a paragraph which contained several sentences in the same font. When I used Trados, there was one sentence that took the same font, another one that took the bold and smaller font and yet another that took the small capital. Can you explain that?

Not without seeing the document, I'm afraid...

About the other problem: I work with operating system Win XP, with 512 MB of RAM, Office XP. Build version 247 for Trados 5.5 and Build version 310 for Trados 6.0.

You forgot the Word version...
Also, using T5.5 and T6.0 on the same machine is no problem in principle, but...

- Do you register the version you want to use, every time you use it?
- Do you use the correct template (trados5.dot or trados6.dot)?

Sometimes the error occurs once every 2 or 3 hours, and sometimes every 10 minutes. Then I really have to restart my computer, because my hard disk keeps working on something (???)

Can you have a look at the Task Manager and check which process is most active then? (In the XP Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and sort by the column "CPU usage". Which are the three top processes shown there?)

and even if I only restart Trados, the problem persists. Sometimes even Trados itself is blocked and returns an error, but that doesn't happen so often.

Which error?

Another thing you may want to try is to re-create your normal.dot template. This is the template where Word stores all default settings, etc. - make sure Word is closed, rename it to something like "normal_old.dot" and restart Word. Word will automatically re-create a new one; if required, you can copy styles or autotext entries from the old template. But it's a good idea to test the new template without changes first.

Best regards, Ralf

Chantal Henno
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sorry for late reply Dec 30, 2003

Hi Ralph, sorry I haven't reacted yet, but I had a few deadlines (without Trados) so I didn't have a chance to try things out. I have altered the settings as you told me, and I will keep you informed as soon as I work with Trados again. Probably next week.
Thanks a lot for your help up to now,
HAVE A VERY HAPPY HEALTHY AND SUCCESSFUL 2004
Chantal

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Font replacement in Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »