https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/17263-new_trados_user_installation_query.html

New Trados User - Installation query
Thread poster: Sophie Theophile
Sophie Theophile
Sophie Theophile  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 15:38
English to French
Jan 11, 2004

Dear all,

I've recently bought Trados 6.5 Freelance but haven't installed it on my computer yet.
I have a Compaq laptop with a 40Gb hard-drive but I don't know how much space the software and translation memories will end up taking. Would it be wiser to install it on an external hard drive? What would be the main advantages/drawbacks?
Please send me your comments.

Best regards,

Sophie

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:38
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jan 11, 2004

Hi Sophie,
I'm moving your thread to Trados Support.

I have the LSP version, but I believe the size of the installation shouldn't differ significantly. The program files require approx. 115 MB (including approx. 35 MB for MultiTerm iX).

My biggest translation memory (roughly 140,000 TUs) has approx. 60 MB; my MTiX termbases (totalling around 7,000 entries) require approx. 30 MB.

That said, I don't think installing it on an external drive is nec
... See more
Hi Sophie,
I'm moving your thread to Trados Support.

I have the LSP version, but I believe the size of the installation shouldn't differ significantly. The program files require approx. 115 MB (including approx. 35 MB for MultiTerm iX).

My biggest translation memory (roughly 140,000 TUs) has approx. 60 MB; my MTiX termbases (totalling around 7,000 entries) require approx. 30 MB.

That said, I don't think installing it on an external drive is necessary; I'd prefer to use that for backup purposes (I duplicate all my databases from desktop to laptop (or vice versa) every night).

HTH, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-01-11 14:51]
Collapse

Sophie Theophile
Sophie Theophile  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 15:38
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 12, 2004

Dear Ralph,

Thank you for your help. As I seem to have enough space on my internal hard drive, I will follow your advice and only use external drives for backups.

Best regards,

Sophie

P.S: Sorry for not posting my message on the right board.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:38
English to German
+ ...
No problem at all Jan 12, 2004

Hi Sophie,
P.S: Sorry for not posting my message on the right board.

No worries - moving takes just a couple of clicks, and this forum is still pretty new.

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Trados User - Installation query

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »