Help! - Outdated document template
Thread poster: Ilkka (X)
Ilkka (X)
Ilkka (X)
Local time: 20:28
Finnish to Swedish
Jan 24, 2004

Hi,
I've just upgraded my Trados 5 to Trados 5.5 on a new computer with Windows XP and Office Word 2003.

The Trados5.dot template is copied to Office/Startup and Word does recognize it, e.g. the Trados menu is visible in Word. The template file is also shown under Templates and Add-ins. However, when I try to open a segment I get the error message "Outdated document template (TW4Win2k.dot or earlier)".

Anyone know where the error might be? I've tried the method of
... See more
Hi,
I've just upgraded my Trados 5 to Trados 5.5 on a new computer with Windows XP and Office Word 2003.

The Trados5.dot template is copied to Office/Startup and Word does recognize it, e.g. the Trados menu is visible in Word. The template file is also shown under Templates and Add-ins. However, when I try to open a segment I get the error message "Outdated document template (TW4Win2k.dot or earlier)".

Anyone know where the error might be? I've tried the method of turning off the anti-virus scanner and copy a clean Trados5.dot, but that didn't help.

With best regards,
Ilkka
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:28
English to German
+ ...
Word 2003 might be the problem Jan 24, 2004

Hi Ilkka,
Word 2003 might be the problem - remember that Office 2003 was still non-existent when T5/5.5 were launched; IIRC Office 2003 was unofficially supported by Trados 6, and has been officially supported since the launch of T6.5.

Try saving the document as RTF.

Just to be on the safe side, check if there's an outdated template (tw4win2k.dot) in the same folder - although that's unlikely on a new machine.

HTH, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:28
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do not use template with a "4" in its name Jan 24, 2004

This templates are as old as Trados 3.
At the lates with the 5.5 release there was a template TRADOS5.DOT, and you should at least use this one, even if you save the document as rtf.
As Ralf stated, the first official suport for Office 2003 is given by Trados 6.5.
Trados 5.5 officially supports ONLY Office XP.
There are major changes in document formats between XP and 2003, so even saving as RTF might not be the real help, as the old template will be the problem. This tem
... See more
This templates are as old as Trados 3.
At the lates with the 5.5 release there was a template TRADOS5.DOT, and you should at least use this one, even if you save the document as rtf.
As Ralf stated, the first official suport for Office 2003 is given by Trados 6.5.
Trados 5.5 officially supports ONLY Office XP.
There are major changes in document formats between XP and 2003, so even saving as RTF might not be the real help, as the old template will be the problem. This template contains the whole commands for Trados (open/get and so on), written in Visual Basic, which might have changeg very well too.
What you can try is saving as RTF and opening with TAG Editor.

Kind regards
Jerzy

PS
You can find templates in Trados installation folder, so you can coopy the newest one from there to the Word start-up folder.
Collapse

Ilkka (X)
Ilkka (X)
Local time: 20:28
Finnish to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
No TW4 template Jan 24, 2004

Thank you for your swift replies!

I tried saving as rtf, but it didn't help.

There is no older template, the only one I've installed is the Trados5.dot template, which should be the correct one.

I guess I'll have to check with the Trados support if it really is impossible to use 5.5 with Word 2003.

Thanks again for your time!

Ilkka

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! - Outdated document template

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »