Using Trados in demo mode
Thread poster: JoGunn
JoGunn
JoGunn
Local time: 02:08
English to Icelandic
+ ...
Feb 5, 2004

A friend recently downloaded Trados 5.5 onto my computer, saying it would run in demo mode without a dongle. (I want to test it before I decide whether to buy my own copy).
When I try to start it up, it asks me for a username and password. Is the same username/password used for all demo versions, and if so what is it? (I can't reach my friend to ask him).

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:08
English to Polish
Demo mode Feb 6, 2004

There is no username/password needed to use Trados 5.5 Freelance in demo mode. Without hardware dongle the size of the translation memory is limited.

Maybe Workbench is trying to open last-opened translation memory and this TM is password- protected...

Wojtek

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Have you installed the software? Feb 6, 2004

Hi,
You did not say whether the software has been installed after download.

What exactly prompts the request for a user ID and password? Which part of the software are you trying to start?

Ralf

JoGunn
JoGunn
English to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
answers Feb 6, 2004

The software is installed - my friend tested it after he set it up and said it worked fine.
It's Workspace that requires a password. I can open Workbench and TagEditor, but I can't make them work (I'm trying to use this with Word - the buttons are visible but nothing happens when I click them). Multiterm seems to be working as it should.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Forget Workspace... Feb 6, 2004

...as even Trados have given up on that.
I can open Workbench and TagEditor, but I can't make them work (I'm trying to use this with Word - the buttons are visible but nothing happens when I click them).

You're confusing me here - are you using Word or TagEditor? The buttons in TE are only enabled once you have opened a file (you would use TE for tagged formats such as HTML, XML, certain exported DTP formats or MS Excel or PowerPoint (T6.5 only)). If you're translating a Word file, you don't need TagEditor.

Best regards, Ralf

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Forget the Workspace Feb 6, 2004

It was removed from application set in Trados 6.5.

Personally I have used it in 5.5 only to process FrameMaker files (there was no other solution.).

Wojtek

JoGunn
JoGunn
English to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your replies and suggestions Feb 11, 2004

I've got it working now and it looks good.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Trados in demo mode

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »