Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2004

I have just cleaned up in Trados to find that 12 of the 17 pages I translated have dispapeared.

I am still learning to adapt to Trados, so often manually correct problems with end of unit tags manually, but this has never happened before.

Does anybody know how/where I can recover my hard days' work?

Even redoing 500 first draft words is depressing, never mind the third draft of something lkike 2000 words.

TIA:-)

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
not a solution but... Feb 7, 2004

Hi Ailish,

I really don't know how to recover your lost work for sure but there are some points that might help:
1. Trados should do a backup copy of the uncleaned document just before cleaning. So look for some .bak copy (generally in the same folder of the document you're working on)
2. No matter whether it does or not, you should always make a copy before clean up (now you know why!!)
3. Your TM is loaded with all the TUs so re-doing the lost bit should take onl
... See more
Hi Ailish,

I really don't know how to recover your lost work for sure but there are some points that might help:
1. Trados should do a backup copy of the uncleaned document just before cleaning. So look for some .bak copy (generally in the same folder of the document you're working on)
2. No matter whether it does or not, you should always make a copy before clean up (now you know why!!)
3. Your TM is loaded with all the TUs so re-doing the lost bit should take only a few minutes as you should get all 100% matches.

Hope you can sort it out!!
Grace.

[Edited at 2004-02-07 00:16]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BAK copy is identical Feb 7, 2004

Thanks Graciela, I am resigned to having to redo it. However, I don't know how to go about using the TMW to recreate the text. With WordFast the TMW was a TXT file which I could open and read, but how can I do the same with Trados.

I would be grateful if you could tell me how to recreate it, I am backlogged terribly by now...

Ailish

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Hi Ailish,

3. Your TM is loaded with all the TUs so re-doing the lost bit should take only a few minutes as you should get all 100% matches.

Hope you can sort it out!!
Grace.

[Edited at 2004-02-07 00:16]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Feb 7, 2004

...to Trados Support.

Hi Ailish,
Whenever you raise a technical issue, it helps to specify which software you're using. I assume you refer to a Word file, but it could be useful to know which version.

I have just cleaned up in Trados to find that 12 of the 17 pages I translated have dispapeared.

Is there anything special (e.g. in terms of formatting) to the pages that appear to have disappeared? Have you tried to display hidden text?

I am still learning to adapt to Trados, so often manually correct problems with end of unit tags manually, but this has never happened before.

Manual corrections are no problem, provided that you display everything (hidden source text plus target text), to avoid damaging tags.

Just make a copy of the original and run the translation using Translate-to-Fuzzy.

Best regards, Ralf

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Ralf Feb 7, 2004

First of all, thanks for being so helpful, not just with me, you seem to help people out a lot:-)

Answers to your comments:

Word 2000, Trados 6.0
No special formatting, a number of CAD diagrams, yes I have tried displaying hidden text (but doesn't clean up got rid of hidden text anyway?)

I will try your solution then let you know how I got on.

Ralf Lemster wrote:

...to Trados Support.

Hi Ailish,
Whenever you raise a technical issue, it helps to specify which software you're using. I assume you refer to a Word file, but it could be useful to know which version.

Is there anything special (e.g. in terms of formatting) to the pages that appear to have disappeared? Have you tried to display hidden text?

Manual corrections are no problem, provided that you display everything (hidden source text plus target text), to avoid damaging tags.

Just make a copy of the original and run the translation using Translate-to-Fuzzy.

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-02-07 12:55]

OK Ralf I did as you said.

First of all, Trados was opening a file that was named slightly differently from my TMX. My TMW was called XXXXX PINZAS, the TMW that opened was called XXXXX*1 (where asterisk represents the 'tilde', the squiggly thing). I tried that first, then the properly named TMW, both with excatly (I think) the same results as follows:

a. It's the entire text but before I had revised it (i.e after first or second draft stage and prior to the definitive draft).

b. It seems to have corrupted the formatting, for example, ST and TT words are irrationally capitalised, e.g. my ST has a sentence in capitals, Trados reproduces it with a mixture of capitals and small letters.

c. Finally, I clicked on translate-to-fuzzy, but I expected Trados to run through the whole text (I haven't used this function before). Instead I had to open, copy, close-set-open-get for each sentence, one by one. How can I just get it to reproduce the entire text?

Thanks again:-)

[Edited at 2004-02-07 12:56]

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's done it again! Feb 8, 2004

I redid the text, very carefully this time, and more than I expected (or than Trados led me to believe) was in the memory, so I only lost an hour or two.

I also ran the text through the memory translating to fuzzy, and it all semmed to be there.

Meanwhile I made back-ups (thanks for the advice Graciela), and then experimented with a clean-up, and it happened AGAIN.

The only clue I can give is that I noticed the Trados mesage was 'memory still active', so
... See more
I redid the text, very carefully this time, and more than I expected (or than Trados led me to believe) was in the memory, so I only lost an hour or two.

I also ran the text through the memory translating to fuzzy, and it all semmed to be there.

Meanwhile I made back-ups (thanks for the advice Graciela), and then experimented with a clean-up, and it happened AGAIN.

The only clue I can give is that I noticed the Trados mesage was 'memory still active', so maybe I should have done something to deactivaate it.

This is a great learning experience but I am really beginning to S*** bricks, as it looks like I will be unable to hand in a cleaned document (ever?)!.

Any more help or advice is appreciated.

I tried with all my other documents, no problem. I finally also managed to work it for the problem text, BY REMOVING ALL THE CAD DRAWINGS!

[Edited at 2004-02-08 01:29]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A few questions Feb 8, 2004

Hi again, Ailish,

Now that's something I don't understand: if you worked through the entire text using Workbench, everything should be in the TM. The only thing you may have to do is extend a segment if you did that when translating the text first time around.

Why "also"? Running the translation against the TM was the only thing I was thinking of.

The only clue I can give is that I noticed the Trados mesage was 'memory still active', so maybe I should have done something to deactivaate it.

Again, more details please: where exactly did you get that message (i.e. in which application, following which action taken)? Note that you cannot "deactivate" a TM when cleaning up.

Two more things to try:
What happens when you (manually) save the document as RTF? AFAIK that is the only major change made to documents during cleanup (saving as RTF - cleanup - saving back as .doc).

There's a macro called TW4WinClean.Main you can run in the document to remove the source documents. Note that this "hard cleanup" does not record any subsequent (manual) changes by updating your TM, as a normal cleanup would.

HTH, Ralf

Laura Porcelli
Laura Porcelli
Local time: 03:09
Trados has changed the way my word 2000 reads files Feb 18, 2004

Sorry, I believe this is a related topic, I need help but I have started with trados 5.5 THIS MORNING!!!!
I translated a file and it was ok, then after translating parts of the second one, i cleaned it and my doc file has disappered! .back file has appeared instead! It is different, it displays codes for the headers, footers and pictures. I tried to open the first (finished) file again and it gave me the same problem.
Now, on this pc, Even if I open the original files from a cd it gi
... See more
Sorry, I believe this is a related topic, I need help but I have started with trados 5.5 THIS MORNING!!!!
I translated a file and it was ok, then after translating parts of the second one, i cleaned it and my doc file has disappered! .back file has appeared instead! It is different, it displays codes for the headers, footers and pictures. I tried to open the first (finished) file again and it gave me the same problem.
Now, on this pc, Even if I open the original files from a cd it gives me the error! If i put the cd in the pother pc (no trados installed there) it reads the original correctly. Seems as Trados has changed the way my word 2000 reads the files!!!

Can somebody please help!? It is pretty hard to learn how to use trados by yourself!!!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados does not change files - the document formatting may be the problem Feb 18, 2004

Hi.

Have you taken the time to go through the Tutorials, and read the File Formats Reference Guide? These contain vital information for using the various Trados components.

I'm sorry but your problem description is rather confusing - can you please be more precise as to what problem occurs on which file?

I translated a file and it was ok, then after translating parts of the second one, i cleaned it and my doc file has disappered! .back file has appeared instead!

The .bak file is created automatically, to preserve the pre-cleanup status just in case you need to go back, e.g. to make some subsequent corrections.

It is different, it displays codes for the headers, footers and pictures. I tried to open the first (finished) file again and it gave me the same problem.

Which problem?

Did you also get the document templates on which the documents are based? Trados uses the formatting prescribed by styles in the document - if manual changes were made to these styles (as opposed to changing the styles), this can lead to problems. Note that in this case, we're talking about a document formatting issue, not a Trados problem.

It is pretty hard to learn how to use trados by yourself!!!

As with every complex software application, you should not start using it without proper preparation and/or training. Same goes for MS Word, BTW...

You may also want to take a look up at the archives of the TW_users group.

Best regards, Ralf

Laura Porcelli
Laura Porcelli
Local time: 03:09
Maybe it is just a setting Feb 18, 2004

...mistake in word, because when I clicked on the print preview it gives me all the right headers and pictures. But do you have any idea on how to change this setting that shows the codes of pictures and headers/footers so that I can have the right view?

I totally agree about the tutorials, I have gone through a couple, but obviously I am too eager to learn, next time I will not start learning on a job i have to give in!! (also, for the other posting, i guess I didn't wait enought
... See more
...mistake in word, because when I clicked on the print preview it gives me all the right headers and pictures. But do you have any idea on how to change this setting that shows the codes of pictures and headers/footers so that I can have the right view?

I totally agree about the tutorials, I have gone through a couple, but obviously I am too eager to learn, next time I will not start learning on a job i have to give in!! (also, for the other posting, i guess I didn't wait enought time.. i posted the second one thinking my first posting didn't go through....
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados has gobbled up two-thirds of my text

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »