Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 06:22
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 22, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I recently upgraded from Trados 6 to Trados 6.5. Do I also need to upgrade my dongle? If so, how?

The reason I am asking this is that I just wanted to start Trados Workbench and there appeared the following message: "Translation memory too large for demo mode. Install a valid license file or connect a dongle to the parallel port."

I urgently need to get my Trados going because I have to deliver a project by Monday evening.

Man
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I recently upgraded from Trados 6 to Trados 6.5. Do I also need to upgrade my dongle? If so, how?

The reason I am asking this is that I just wanted to start Trados Workbench and there appeared the following message: "Translation memory too large for demo mode. Install a valid license file or connect a dongle to the parallel port."

I urgently need to get my Trados going because I have to deliver a project by Monday evening.

Many thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

Olaf
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:22
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You should have got an email from Trados Feb 22, 2004

with a small program to upgrade your dongle with the new license for 6.5
Without this your Trados 6.5 will not work.

Before working with Trados 6.5 ensure you got the latest release 6.5.2.417 (Build 417).
If not (check in Help menu from the Workbench), go to www.translationzone.com and download the lates release. There are some major changes in Trados since it was released in Novem
... See more
with a small program to upgrade your dongle with the new license for 6.5
Without this your Trados 6.5 will not work.

Before working with Trados 6.5 ensure you got the latest release 6.5.2.417 (Build 417).
If not (check in Help menu from the Workbench), go to www.translationzone.com and download the lates release. There are some major changes in Trados since it was released in November/December.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
License upgrade required. Feb 22, 2004

Hi Olaf,
I don't think dongle recognition is the issue here...

I recently upgraded from Trados 6 to Trados 6.5. Do I also need to upgrade my dongle?

Yes.

If so, how?

Did you purchase the upgrade to 6.5? Where did you get the 6.5 software from? The same supplier should have sent you an e-mail with the dongle migration program (check if you received an e-mail...).

Have a look at the licenses on your dongle (Help - About) - I expect you see Trados 6 licenses, not 6.5, right?

Sounds like you may have to deinstall 6.5 and get 6 back on... sorry.

Best regards, Ralf

Olaf Reibedanz
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Background info Feb 22, 2004

Many thanks Jerzy and Ralf for your fast responses!

Here is some background info:

I bought Trados 6.0 last year (at the end of July, I think), when there was a special group buying discount on ProZ, if I remember correctly.

I used Trados two or three times in August and then did not use it again until last after I upgraded to the 6.5 version in December. I can't remember having received any dongle migration program from Trados.

Last week I us
... See more
Many thanks Jerzy and Ralf for your fast responses!

Here is some background info:

I bought Trados 6.0 last year (at the end of July, I think), when there was a special group buying discount on ProZ, if I remember correctly.

I used Trados two or three times in August and then did not use it again until last after I upgraded to the 6.5 version in December. I can't remember having received any dongle migration program from Trados.

Last week I used Trados 6.5 for the first time and it went fine. I did a small project and ended up with a TM with about 100 pairs.

Yesterday I wanted to do my second project for the same client but could not open my TM any more (with the message I mentioned with the request to install a valid license file).

I just checked under "Help/About" and as you said, Ralf, it is still registered as Trados 6. It says: 6.5.1406 (Build 406)

What do I need to do to get it going asap? Do I really have to deinstall the 6.0 version?
Collapse

Olaf Reibedanz
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction Feb 22, 2004

Typo, I wanted to say: Do I really have to deinstall the 6.5 version and reinstall the 6.0 version?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Some things don't add up... Feb 22, 2004

Hi again.
I used Trados two or three times in August and then did not use it again until last after I upgraded to the 6.5 version in December.

I repeat my question: Where did you obtain the T6.5 software?

Last week I used Trados 6.5 for the first time and it went fine. I did a small project and ended up with a TM with about 100 pairs.

This might still have been within the restrictions of demo mode.

I just checked under "Help/About" and as you said, Ralf, it is still registered as Trados 6. It says: 6.5.1406 (Build 406)

That's not what I was asking... this is the installed software version. What I wanted to know is what you see in the window below (this might take a moment or two) - license number (you don't need to post this here) and licensed products.

What do I need to do to get it going asap?

That depends on the license you have on your dongle.

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-02-22 21:34]

Olaf Reibedanz
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Feb 23, 2004

Hi everybody,

Just to let you know that the problem is now solved! As both of you (Jerzy and Ralf) correctly pointed out, I did not have the migration program necessary to upgrade my dongle; this was the reason why Trados 6.5 was only working in demo mode.

This morning Ralf was so kind to contact Trados in Stuttgart for me and they sorted everything out in a flash. I was positively surprised how fast they responded - this is true customer support!

So I want
... See more
Hi everybody,

Just to let you know that the problem is now solved! As both of you (Jerzy and Ralf) correctly pointed out, I did not have the migration program necessary to upgrade my dongle; this was the reason why Trados 6.5 was only working in demo mode.

This morning Ralf was so kind to contact Trados in Stuttgart for me and they sorted everything out in a flash. I was positively surprised how fast they responded - this is true customer support!

So I want to say a big thank you to Ralf, Jerzy and Jacqueline Baret from Trados!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dongle not recognized

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »