Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2004

Windows XP, Trados 6.

I have a text full of embedded script and no matter what I do, I keep getting jammed.

I have tried DOC and RTF, hiding field codes, normal view, fix document, to no avail.

I managed to do the first few lines (with email hyperlinks) but now I cannot even OPEN/GET, the document jams and I get the message 'no responde/no response.

Trados gives me the error INVALID RTF FORMAT, but Trados Help is of little use here.

... See more
Windows XP, Trados 6.

I have a text full of embedded script and no matter what I do, I keep getting jammed.

I have tried DOC and RTF, hiding field codes, normal view, fix document, to no avail.

I managed to do the first few lines (with email hyperlinks) but now I cannot even OPEN/GET, the document jams and I get the message 'no responde/no response.

Trados gives me the error INVALID RTF FORMAT, but Trados Help is of little use here.

I have had this problem before and simply corrected the text manually as they werre just small sections. But this particular text is fiull of equations therefore full of embedded text.

Now I cannot even view the Trados window, that's gotten jammed too:-).

Any tips?

TIA:-)

Ailish

PS I should add that my computer is quite new (512Gb, 20 GB, I think)

[Edited at 2004-02-24 12:49]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details... Feb 24, 2004

Hi Ailish,
Which Word version do you use - Word XP?

Precisely what kind of embedded "script" are we talking about? Fields, cross-references, hyperlinks...?

Thanks, Ralf

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word 2000 Feb 24, 2004

Word 2000 (forgot that one!).

They are equations and author references.
Here are some samples:
equations -->((EMBED UNKNOWN))
author refs -->((Gardiner2000))

If I right click on the first, it calls up "Math Type 4.0 Equation Object" and offers me to "convert".

I have tried both Word and Trados on another text without any problem.

The text was originally LaTex which the author converted to Word for translation.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try saving as RTF - beware of file size Feb 24, 2004

Hi again,
See if you can save the document as RTF - if you can't, you will most likely have identified the cause of your problem.

You could try and run the Trados Bookmark Handler macro on the document (check in your installation path c:\...\TRADOS\T6[_LSP]\TT\Templates). Although this isn't exactly what the macro was designed for, you might be successful in tagging these references (and thus avoiding conflicts).

Not sure, but it's worth a try...

... See more
Hi again,
See if you can save the document as RTF - if you can't, you will most likely have identified the cause of your problem.

You could try and run the Trados Bookmark Handler macro on the document (check in your installation path c:\...\TRADOS\T6[_LSP]\TT\Templates). Although this isn't exactly what the macro was designed for, you might be successful in tagging these references (and thus avoiding conflicts).

Not sure, but it's worth a try...

Best, Ralf
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf Feb 24, 2004

I have already tried RTF, with exactly the same results.

I don't know how to apply a macro, and Trados Help has no 'macros' or 'bookmarks' in its index. I have found the bookmark handler.dot but don't know what to do next...!

What it does have is a section called 'word fields' and this seems to be my problem (what they call sub-segments), it advises me to treat them as placeables, but I cannot even OPEN/GET at this stage, the whole text jams.

I will now try
... See more

I don't know how to apply a macro, and Trados Help has no 'macros' or 'bookmarks' in its index. I have found the bookmark handler.dot but don't know what to do next...!

What it does have is a section called 'word fields' and this seems to be my problem (what they call sub-segments), it advises me to treat them as placeables, but I cannot even OPEN/GET at this stage, the whole text jams.

I will now try restarting from scratch, recreating the memory etc, and see how it goes. Failing that I just have to translate without Trados, or manually remove hundreds/thousands of embedded scripts then return them ahgain manually (if I can:-).

ADDED:

I have started with the text from scratch and with a new memory and it's the same, Word or Trados simply refuse to respond to it, Word jams and I have to close without saving. Trados gives the same message, I cannot OPEN/GET, and all this EVEN with a new TMX and starting anew!

I have just started another job, again with embedded contents, NO problems:-)

It's a complete mystery to me. Especially as I was able, the first time round, to translate the heading, author details and the first lines of the Abstract before getting jammed. The second time round, nothing!

[Edited at 2004-02-24 14:40]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Using the Bookmark Handler Feb 24, 2004

Hi again,

So at least we know the source of the problem...

Ok... note that although the Bookmark Handler is a Trados utility, using macros is a Word function.

First, create a copy of your document (just in case...).

In Word, go to Tools - Templates and Add-ins. Add the Bookmark Handler macro and make sure it's activated (box is checked).

Go to Tools - Macro - Macros, and execute the "BookmarkHandler" macro. If it works in this case, it will set tags around the fields identied as non-translatable cross-references. As I said, I'm not sure this will work here.

Best regards, Ralf

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe..hopefully :-) Feb 24, 2004

Hi Ralf

It seems to have worked, although when I opened the new 'prep' document things didn't look too promising, as Trados went blank again.

But now I have run a fuzzy translate to the point where I previously got stuck ...hey presto it seems to be working again:-)

I am working on another doc now but will come bak later with further feedback.

Thanks again for your rapid, patient and very useful help:-)

Ailish

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No go:-) Feb 25, 2004

Still not working, it advanced one sentence, then crashed again, Trados Workbench went blank, and Word crashed.

I have written to Trados, although I believe there is no free online support, but the only section in Help is not much use.

Thanks agian for all you help, Ralf:-)

ADDITION:

Seems like the problem is the text, I am now doing it without Trados and exactly the same thing i
... See more
Still not working, it advanced one sentence, then crashed again, Trados Workbench went blank, and Word crashed.

I have written to Trados, although I believe there is no free online support, but the only section in Help is not much use.

Thanks agian for all you help, Ralf:-)

ADDITION:

Seems like the problem is the text, I am now doing it without Trados and exactly the same thing is happening, Word is crashing.

[Edited at 2004-02-25 15:04]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text full of embedded script- Trados refuse to budge

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »