How do I hide the source text in Trados?
Thread poster: Vanessa Lindsey
Vanessa Lindsey
Vanessa Lindsey
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:17
Latin to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2004

In Trados 6.5 freelance, when I translate a line, it appears next to the source text, rather than replacing it. I am required to return a translation as an uncleaned file. How do I hide the source text without removing it? I tried hitting the show/hide button, but that only shows/hides the tabs/spaces/carriage returns.

Please help.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:17
English to German
+ ...
Let's get a few things straight... Mar 15, 2004

Hi Vanessa,
In Trados 6.5 freelance, when I translate a line, it appears next to the source text, rather than replacing it.

Which is exactly as designed - you only clean up at the end of the process.

I am required to return a translation as an uncleaned file. How do I hide the source text without removing it? I tried hitting the show/hide button, but that only shows/hides the tabs/spaces/carriage returns.

You did not specify which Word version you're using, so the commands may differ: you need to deactivate the display of hidden text (that's in Tools - Options IIRC).

Note that it's not always advisable to hide the source segments and tags, as you might inadvertently damage tags.

If you haven't done so, may I suggest you take a closer look at the Trados File Formats Reference Guide, which you can download from TranslationZone.

HTH, Ralf

Please help.[/quote]

[Edited at 2004-03-15 17:58]

Matt Baird
Matt Baird
Germany
Local time: 05:17
German to English
Uncheck "hidden text" Mar 15, 2004

Hi there,
I've experienced this in the past as well. In Word, go to Tools>Options. Under the "View" tab, the box next to "hidden text" should not be checked. Once unchecked, the source segments should be hidden when you click the show/hide butten.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Matt

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:17
English to Italian
+ ...
It happens to me too. Mar 15, 2004

If I understand your problem correctly, this happens to me too when I work inside a table. Sometimes I get whole jobs that are formatted in tables and it is very annoying.
It seems to happen only when I translate the last line of a table which ends with a sort of star.
Basically the problem is the missing paragraph sign.
If this happens, I usually open the translated segment, take it back to original text, add a paragraph sign and retranslate the segment. Then I go on adding t
... See more
If I understand your problem correctly, this happens to me too when I work inside a table. Sometimes I get whole jobs that are formatted in tables and it is very annoying.
It seems to happen only when I translate the last line of a table which ends with a sort of star.
Basically the problem is the missing paragraph sign.
If this happens, I usually open the translated segment, take it back to original text, add a paragraph sign and retranslate the segment. Then I go on adding the signs manually.

Sorry about my highly untechnical explanation...

Ciao
Lucia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I hide the source text in Trados?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »