Tag Editor does not recognize matches
Thread poster: Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 21, 2004

When working in the tag editor it doesn't appear to be recognizing any text matches.

Also I was sent some index files by the client, but I am not sure what I should do with those - are they activated automatically, for instance?

I am a novice at using the tag editor so any help is much appreciated

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details... Mar 21, 2004

Hi Saskia,
Can you please provide more details:
- Which version of TagEditor/Workbench are you using?
- Which file type are you working on in TE?

Saskia Steur wrote:

When working in the tag editor it doesn't appear to be recognizing any text matches.

Have you tried lowering the minimum match value (see this thread for a recent discussion along these lines)?

Do you find the suspected (but not displayed) matches using the Concordance function?

Also I was sent some index files by the client, but I am not sure what I should do with those - are they activated automatically, for instance?

Once again, we need more details - what type of index files were you sent (it's the extension that I'm interested in)? Would the suspected matches be found in your own TM, or in a reference TM provided to you?

In the latter case, did you get a text export or the five TM files?

Best regards, Ralf

Saskia Steur (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ralf, here's more information Mar 21, 2004

RTF

Have you tried lowering the minimum match value

Yes, I have - it's set at 50%

Do you find the suspected (but not displayed) matches using the Concordance function?
Yes, I do.

what type of index files were you sent (it's the extension that I'm interested in)?
there are five files in total:... See more

RTF

Have you tried lowering the minimum match value

Yes, I have - it's set at 50%

Yes, I do.

what type of index files were you sent (it's the extension that I'm interested in)?
there are five files in total:
iix, mdf, mtf, mwf and tmw

Would the suspected matches be found in your own TM, or in a reference TM provided to you?
This is what I am uncertain about. I started using the TM provided by the client and added on to that. Perhaps I shouldn't have. How do I recognize a reference TM and how do I treat/activate this?

Are those the five files I listed above?

I'm sorry if I seem so ignorant. I am on a steep learning curve here and very much appreciate your help.

Kind regards,
Saskia
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More questions, I'm afraid... Mar 21, 2004

Hi again,
RTF

Is this a normal RTF file, or a converted DTP file?

If it's a normal RTF file, why would you be using TagEditor instead of MS Word?

What exactly happens in TagEditor when you open a segment?

there are five files in total:
iix, mdf, mtf, mwf and tmw

These are the five component files of a translation memory: you open the .tmw file, but you need the four others in the same directory.

Would the suspected matches be found in your own TM, or in a reference TM provided to you?
This is what I am uncertain about. I started using the TM provided by the client and added on to that. Perhaps I shouldn't have.

Sounds ok to me.

How do I recognize a reference TM and how do I treat/activate this?

This is not a specific type of TM, but simply referring to the fact that you use the TM provided by your client for reference.

Are those the five files I listed above?

No, a text export would be in .txt format - you can export the contents of a TM, mainly in order to import it into another TM.

I am on a steep learning curve here and very much appreciate your help.

Have you studied the documentation in the \Doc folder of your Trados installation tree? I would particularly recommend the Workbench manual and the File Formats Reference Guide.

Best, Ralf

Saskia Steur (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And more answers... Mar 21, 2004

[quote]Is this a normal RTF file, or a converted DTP file?

It's a converted file with lots of tags.

[quote]What exactly happens in TagEditor when you open a segment?

It has coloured blocks of tags (which I cannot alter) and then two coloured bars with the source text and target text line respectivelly (As I expect it to look)

[quote]These are the five component files of a translation memory: you open the .tmw file, but you need the four others in the same directory.

OK. That's what I have done.

[quote]Sounds ok to me.
Great

[quote] Have you studied the documentation in the Doc folder of your Trados installation tree? I would particularly recommend the Workbench manual and the File Formats Reference Guide. [\quote]

I will have another good look at this. Thanks very much!
Kind regards,
Saskia

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Have you tried Word? Mar 21, 2004

Hi again,

Is this a normal RTF file, or a converted DTP file?

It's a converted file with lots of tags.

Do you know the source file type?

What exactly happens in TagEditor when you open a segment?

It has coloured blocks of tags (which I cannot alter) and then two coloured bars with the source text and target text line respectivelly (As I expect it to look)

One reason why you might not get any TM matches could be that the translation units in the TM don't contain these tags (or different ones), which will drag down the quality of the matches. Just as a test, try lowering the minimum match quality further, to see if you get anything (don't forget to put it back up after this project).

HTH, Ralf

Check this page for a detailed description of the ProZ.com forum commands.

Saskia Steur (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thankt! Mar 21, 2004

Ralf,
You've been a great help. Thanks very much. I feel much better now!

Saskia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor does not recognize matches

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »