Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 21, 2004

Trados 6 & Windows XP

I tried aligning 16000 words using WinAlign and it jammed, everytime I tried it.

So I cut the docs up into batches of about 5000 words each, but exactly the same thing is happening.

I add the text and after I click on 'align file pairs', Winalign just closes.

Any ideas why this is happening? There are no graphs of any kind in the texts.

TIA:-)

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
As usual - more details... *g* Mar 21, 2004

Hi Ailish,
What type of documents are you trying to align? I'm assuming that these are Word documents, but I'd rather get confirmation...

I tried aligning 16000 words using WinAlign and it jammed, everytime I tried it.

Is the sudden closure of WinAlign all that's happening, or are there any other symptoms?

A few ideas:
- Assuming they're Word documents, try saving them as RTF before aligning (note that this is exactly what WinAlign does) - if you get problems doing this, you'll know the source of your problem.

- Check if the documents contain revision marks - if they do, accept all changes before aligning.

HTH, Ralf

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word docs converted to RTF Mar 21, 2004

Thanks again Ralf:-)

I have just done what you said, accept all changes, but it's still happening, exactly as before.

The only difference with the cut-up text and the entire text is that WinAlign collapsed with the large doc, and simply just closes with the smaller docs.

I have aligned other work, just as an experiment, and all has been OK.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Did you re-create the project? Mar 21, 2004

Hi again,

I have just done what you said, accept all changes, but it's still happening, exactly as before.

You will need to re-create the alignment project after having accepted the changes.
Did you do that?

Best regards, Ralf

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't think that's the problem... Mar 21, 2004

I actually start off afresh each time, becuase I just cannot locate the 'new' alignment project, it's a mystery to me where they are saved anyway, but that was a problem I was leaving until later to resolve! I am new, as you know:-) to Trados and WinAlign.

In other words, every attempt to align has led to the creation of a new alignment project anyway, so I don't think that's the problem.

TIA:-)

[Edited at 2004-03-21 20:22]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Win Align not working

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »