QuarkXpress 5 or 6 or Passport and Trados?
Thread poster: Dr Andrew Read
Dr Andrew Read
Dr Andrew Read  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:03
German to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2004

I am currently a user of Trados Freelance 5.5, but am tempted by the current offer to upgrade to 6.5. I am also about to buy QuarkXpress (second hand).

So, my first question:
Are either Trados 5.5 or 6.5 (and the associated Story Collectors) compatible with QuarkXpress 6? I have seen a previous posting (maybe on the TW users group) that said that they were only okay with Quark v 4.1 or v5. If not, is there a workaround if I buy Quark 6, whereby I'd save files as Quark v5 file
... See more
I am currently a user of Trados Freelance 5.5, but am tempted by the current offer to upgrade to 6.5. I am also about to buy QuarkXpress (second hand).

So, my first question:
Are either Trados 5.5 or 6.5 (and the associated Story Collectors) compatible with QuarkXpress 6? I have seen a previous posting (maybe on the TW users group) that said that they were only okay with Quark v 4.1 or v5. If not, is there a workaround if I buy Quark 6, whereby I'd save files as Quark v5 files; would this then work with the Trados Story Collector?

Second question:
Do you think I should upgrade to Trados 6.5 as I'm now likely to be doing more work with Quark files, or will 5.5 be good enough? (I'm tempted anyway, as my 5.5 just won't work with Powerpoint.)

Third question:
In the light of your answers to the above, should I try and get Quark 5, instead of 6, so that it's compatible with Trados? (I think Quark 5 is okay for most of my potential clients.)

Fourth question:
Whether v5 or 6, will I need QuarkXpress Passport rather than regular QX if I'm to work with, say, German or French source texts? Or will ordinary QX5 or 6 cope with non-English source text?

Sorry for asking so many questions; I really don't want to buy the wrong product here! Thanks for your help...
Andrew
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:03
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Mar 26, 2004

...to Trados Support.

Agua
Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 5.5 works OK with PowerPoint Mar 26, 2004

Hello,

I do not know about the combination of Quark and Trados, but I can tell you that Trados 5.5 works with PowerPoint, only you have to open the "T-Windows for PowerPoint", where you will be working while translating a PowerPoint file. Make sure you open first the T-Window and then the Workbench, to be on the safe side.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Mar

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:03
Danish to English
+ ...
QuarkPress Mar 27, 2004

From my experience, any expense that will improve the workload and corroboration with clients is valuable. I don't use QuarkPress but have received files in that format, which I then can convert with PageMaker and then using Storycollector translate with Trados. I have had no problems with either 5.5 FL or 6.5 FL. However, if you don't want these investments, then your client can extract the QP documents into a txt format and send you the files. TagEditor will open the file you need, and you... See more
From my experience, any expense that will improve the workload and corroboration with clients is valuable. I don't use QuarkPress but have received files in that format, which I then can convert with PageMaker and then using Storycollector translate with Trados. I have had no problems with either 5.5 FL or 6.5 FL. However, if you don't want these investments, then your client can extract the QP documents into a txt format and send you the files. TagEditor will open the file you need, and you will need to store the file within that document you open, no new extension. You can add your language (f.ex. DA for Danish) at the very beginning of that file to show what the translated document is. You then return all the files you received to the client. Your client can then "play" with the files into his documents as he wants.Collapse

aviloria
aviloria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Careful with your Quark XPress version Mar 27, 2004

Right now there is no Trados plugin for Quark XPress 6.0 so you'll need version 5.0. I don't think there's much difference between the two versions, though.
I really recommend Trados 6.5, specially if you also want to translate PowerPoint and Excel files. You use Tag Editor for these, not the awful T-Windows, and the results are great.
Good luck!
Alberto

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QuarkXpress 5 or 6 or Passport and Trados?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »