Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:53
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 27, 2004

I have a manual from which only selected segments should be translated. So I have to skip a lot of figures and data between required segments. The matter is that if I am not switching from one segment to another at the same time, but close previous and open next segment manually, already existing in my TM translation is not substituted automatically.

Is it possible to mark somehow the text that needs to be translated to make Trados move only on these segments and do not touch the re
... See more
I have a manual from which only selected segments should be translated. So I have to skip a lot of figures and data between required segments. The matter is that if I am not switching from one segment to another at the same time, but close previous and open next segment manually, already existing in my TM translation is not substituted automatically.

Is it possible to mark somehow the text that needs to be translated to make Trados move only on these segments and do not touch the rest of text? Or how can I make it recognize already translated segments even manually opening the required segments?

Thanks in advance,
Natalya
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Easy in Wf Mar 27, 2004

You select the next segment and press alt+shift+down. You can also mark the non-translatable as double-strike-through or marching ants (MRA) and Wf jumps over those places.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"translate to fuzzy" Mar 27, 2004

In the Trados toolbar, use the "Translate to Fuzzy" button: Workbench will run through 100% matches and stop only at translatable segments. This method presumes that you have a relevant TM available for this project.

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
a possible solution Mar 27, 2004

I usually work with Transit where this presents no problem at all.

However, I had a similar problem using Trados. My solution: save the file under another name and delete everything that isn't to be translated. Then translate the text in the usual manner, clean up etc. so that your TM is updated. Now go back to the original file and "translate" the bits that need translating using the same TM - manually if need be, the updating is no longer a problem. If you have large blocks before
... See more
I usually work with Transit where this presents no problem at all.

However, I had a similar problem using Trados. My solution: save the file under another name and delete everything that isn't to be translated. Then translate the text in the usual manner, clean up etc. so that your TM is updated. Now go back to the original file and "translate" the bits that need translating using the same TM - manually if need be, the updating is no longer a problem. If you have large blocks before a non-translatable segment, then add a single letter, e.g. "s" at the end of the last sentence of each block. This means when you use "translate to fuzzy" Trados will stop at this sentence but the translation from the TM should be there. Simply delete the extra letter, manually close and go on to the next block.

This solution does mean a little extra work, but it shouldn't be too much. I also use a similar method if there are a lot of text boxes that need translating in Trados.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

regards, Jill
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try this: Mar 29, 2004

Use Search and Replace to give them another character format, which you use in
the Trados setup marks as non translatable. Trados should then jump automatically over these. After cleanup you remove the extra formatting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating selected segments

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »