Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:13
English to German
+ ...
Mar 29, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I am dealing with an Access database containing a huge English-German glossary. When trying to import this file into xml I have encountered a problem.

1) I have copy & pasted the database into an Excel file. The headers are divided into a German and an English column.
2) Then, I have tried to make use of MultiTerm Convert. Somehow, I cannot convert this Excel file.

Somebody any idea?

Carsten

Prerequisites: Wi
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am dealing with an Access database containing a huge English-German glossary. When trying to import this file into xml I have encountered a problem.

1) I have copy & pasted the database into an Excel file. The headers are divided into a German and an English column.
2) Then, I have tried to make use of MultiTerm Convert. Somehow, I cannot convert this Excel file.

Somebody any idea?

Carsten

Prerequisites: Windows XP Professional, Trados 6.5, MultiTerm iX
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Mar 29, 2004

...to Trados Support.

Carsten, can you be a bit more specific? For starters, which version of MTiX are you using?

What happens when you try to run MTConvert? Can you create the .xdt database definition file and the XML export, or what kind of error message do you get (if any)?

TIA, Ralf

Carsten Behrend
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Being more specific Mar 29, 2004

Hallo Ralf,

always present when needed.

My MultiTerm iX is the revision 6.2.0267 - (Build 267).

I am running MT Convert and clicking on Microsoft Excel Format. Then, I am selecting the appropriate file. Where I am a bit confused, is the following panel. [Fiels in Table Header]. "Deutsch" and "Englisch" are given and I am required to establish the index field. What I do, is to index German and saying, field typ will be text.

I am clicking on and
... See more
Hallo Ralf,

always present when needed.

My MultiTerm iX is the revision 6.2.0267 - (Build 267).

I am running MT Convert and clicking on Microsoft Excel Format. Then, I am selecting the appropriate file. Where I am a bit confused, is the following panel. [Fiels in Table Header]. "Deutsch" and "Englisch" are given and I am required to establish the index field. What I do, is to index German and saying, field typ will be text.

I am clicking on and viewing an entry structure which is rubbish to me.

The converting process is then in process and no entry will be imported. That's the problem.

Will that do, Ralf?

Carsten
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Termbase definition vs. import Mar 29, 2004

Hi Carsten,

Hang on a second: "Deutsch" and "English" are index fields, not descriptive fields (such as text fields). If your Excel file only has the two index columns, you can only specify the two index fields (note that "index" and "descriptive" are alternatives).

I am clicking on and viewing an entry structure which is rubbish to me.

What happens if you specify both as index fields, not as descriptive?

The converting process is then in process and no entry will be imported.

Import is a subsequent step anyway. MTConvert creates an .xdt file which you can use to create a new termbase in MTiX, into which you subsequently import the .xml file containing the actual entries. It's important to distinguish these two concepts.

HTH, Ralf

Carsten Behrend
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Acknowledges Mar 29, 2004

Hang on a second: "Deutsch" and "English" are index fields, not descriptive fields (such as text fields). If your Excel file only has the two index columns, you can only specify the two index fields (note that "index" and "descriptive" are alternatives).

I am aware of this circumstance. My entry level is structured into German, Sublevel Term and into English, Sublevel Term.

The converting process is then in process and no entry will be imported.

Well, the converting itself works fine.

MTConvert creates an .xdt file which you can use to create a new termbase in MTiX, into which you subsequently import the .xml file containing the actual entries. It's important to distinguish these two concepts.

This hint was indeed very helpful. It directed me to use the xdt-definition for the import into a new Termbank file under MultiTerm iX.

However, after the import process is message is displayed saying: "Some entries were not imported. Review the log file."

I am at a loss.

Carsten

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What does the log file say? Mar 29, 2004

Hi again,
This hint was indeed very helpful. It directed me to use the xdt-definition for the import into a new Termbank file under MultiTerm iX.

Sorry for being petty here: the .xdt is for definition, not for import. I guess you're aware of the difference, but would like to make sure nobody gets a lead in the wrong direction.

However, after the import process is message is displayed saying: "Some entries were not imported. Review the log file."

What does the log file say? Were some entries imported, or none at all?

One suspicion I have is the use of "Deutsch" as a label - have you tried changing this to "German"?

How big is the Excel file? I'd like to try if it works...

Best, Ralf

Carsten Behrend
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Renaming did the job Mar 29, 2004

Sorry for being petty here: the .xdt is for definition, not for import. I guess you're aware of the difference, but would like to make sure nobody gets a lead in the wrong direction.
You dont have to apologize. First things first.

One suspicion I have is the use of "Deutsch" as a label - have you tried changing this to "German"?

I have - and this did the job.

Best regards, Ralf!

Carsten

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Access into MultiTerm iX

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »