No Trados toolbar in Word after loading new version of Office
Thread poster: maryrose
maryrose
maryrose  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:44
English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2004

I would appreciate the benefit of others' experience in upgrading to Office 2003. After installation, there was no Trados toolbar in the new version of Word. I had retained Word 2000 in the installation, and the Trados tool bar is still there. Is this perhaps why it's not in the new version? How can I put it on? I've tried using the Translator's Workbench with Word 2003 using keyboard commands but no luck. I had confirmed on the Trados site, prior to getting the new version of Office, that... See more
I would appreciate the benefit of others' experience in upgrading to Office 2003. After installation, there was no Trados toolbar in the new version of Word. I had retained Word 2000 in the installation, and the Trados tool bar is still there. Is this perhaps why it's not in the new version? How can I put it on? I've tried using the Translator's Workbench with Word 2003 using keyboard commands but no luck. I had confirmed on the Trados site, prior to getting the new version of Office, that it worked with Word 2003. What can I do? I don't want to have to use the old version of Word for translating if I can avoid it. I had retained it really because I wasn't sure if I would lose the many additions I'd made to the glossary/dictionary/autocorrect.

Any hints most gratefully received - words of one syllable please to subsistance level IT person.

Christina
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:14
English to German
+ ...
Check if the Trados template is present Apr 1, 2004

Hi Christina,
Have you checked if the Trados template trados6.dot is present in Word 2003? I use Word XP, so I'm not sure if Word 2003 uses the same command, but in XP you would need to check under Tools - Templates and Add-ins.

Word has a startup folder (again, I'm not 100% sure of the structure under Word 2003) - if you copy the template into this folder, Word should automatically load the template, and thus the buttons and menu commands.

HTH, Ralf

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
How to locate relevant Startup folder Apr 1, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Word has a startup folder (again, I'm not 100% sure of the structure under Word 2003) - if you copy the template into this folder, Word should automatically load the template, and thus the buttons and menu commands.

I am NEVER sure of the structure under Word 2000 or XP either... There might be several Startup folders scattered here and there.
To locate the one Word uses, go to
Tool > Options > File Locations tab (or something similar, I'm in Word XP at the moment). The File types box displays the default locations for different items, among them Startup.
To see the full path (it's usually abbreviated in the box), select Startup and click Modify. You'll see the full structure in the dialog box that opens.
HTH

maryrose
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Apr 1, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Christina,
Have you checked if the Trados template trados6.dot is present in Word 2003? I use Word XP, so I'm not sure if Word 2003 uses the same command, but in XP you would need to check under Tools - Templates and Add-ins.

HTH, Ralf

maryrose
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Apr 1, 2004

[Edited at 2004-04-01 11:03]

And now I'm having trouble responding but I think I'm there now.

In fact I followed your instructions working in Explorer rather than in Word and the folder was easy to locate. Now I've got a macro warning when I open Word, but hopefully that will be a one-off and at least I have Trados there.

Thank you both very much

Christina

[Edited at 2004-04-01 11:03]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Trados toolbar in Word after loading new version of Office

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »