Any possibility to modify meta tags and links in TagEditor?
Thread poster: Christian Flury (X)
Christian Flury (X)
Christian Flury (X)
Austria
Local time: 09:09
Latin to German
+ ...
Apr 6, 2004

Hello everybody!

I am currently updating the different language versions of my website and I decided to seize this opportunity to become familiar with Trados TagEditor (until now, I have always translated html-files in Crimson Editor, a simple but very useful text editor). So far, everything works fine, but there is one specific problem I did not manage to solve:

I would actually like to be able to modify meta tags (especially the meta language tag [<META NAME="
... See more
Hello everybody!

I am currently updating the different language versions of my website and I decided to seize this opportunity to become familiar with Trados TagEditor (until now, I have always translated html-files in Crimson Editor, a simple but very useful text editor). So far, everything works fine, but there is one specific problem I did not manage to solve:

I would actually like to be able to modify meta tags (especially the meta language tag [<META NAME="DC.Language" content="de">] or the keywords tag) and to systematically change internal links (for example, a link pointing to the file "cv-de.html" in the German version should point to "cv-en.html" instead in the English version).

As to the second question, I am fully aware of the fact that I could have at least partially avoided that problem by creating a different parent directory for each language version. But at the time when I was planning the file structure of my website, I did not foresee this difficulty. Furthermore, such a directory-based approach would not solve all of my problems (external links, links to protected directories…). Anyway, I would still have to edit meta tags.

At the moment, I proceed as follows: I open the source file in TagEditor, translate it using TWB, save the target file, open it in Crimson Editor and change meta tabs and links. However, whenever I will update the file, I will have to update the translated file both in TagEditor (in order to be able to use and update the TM) and in Crimson Editor (in order to avoid repeating the whole procedure described above). I think there should be some way to change tags in TagEditor; yet turning off the tag protection only allows me to edit layout related tags, but no meta nor "a href" tags.

So my question is: Is there any possibility to modify those tags within TagEditor (that is to say, to handle them as translatable text)? How do other translators deal with that kind of problems?

Thanks in advance for your advice - and just in case you are wondering, don’t worry, I will have the English translation proof-read by a native speaker

Christian
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Switch source document protection off Apr 6, 2004

You can do this via Tools - Options - Protection - Protect document.
I'm not quite sure if you have to switch off TAG protection too - but you can simply check this.
If you switch the TAG protection off you even should be able to edit TAGs within open segments, but I must admit, I never tried this.

HTH
Regards
Jerzy

Christian Flury (X)
Christian Flury (X)
Austria
Latin to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DTD settings Apr 6, 2004

Zunächst einmal herzlichen Dank an Jerzy! Deine Anregung hat mich um Einiges weitergebracht, auch wenn ich mich letztendlich für eine andere Möglichkeit entschieden habe. I will continue in English for the benefit of other readers - and in order to comply with the new forum rules, of course

Your strategy (turning the document protection off) actually worked out very well for the meta tags, but I still could not edi
... See more
Zunächst einmal herzlichen Dank an Jerzy! Deine Anregung hat mich um Einiges weitergebracht, auch wenn ich mich letztendlich für eine andere Möglichkeit entschieden habe. I will continue in English for the benefit of other readers - and in order to comply with the new forum rules, of course

Your strategy (turning the document protection off) actually worked out very well for the meta tags, but I still could not edit any hyper references, simply because TagEditor "cuts" them apart in order to display the "title" attribute as translatable text, and when trying to edit such a tag, you get an error message stating that the tag is incomplete or invalid and therefore cannot be edited. (It does not matter whether the respective segment is open or not.) So I had to look for another solution, and I figured it out after carefully reading the manual:

All I had to do was to edit the DTD settings for HTML so as to define the "href" element a translatable attribute to the "a" element. Then I also defined "lang" and "content" translatable attributes for meta tags, and now everything is just working the way it should, I do not even have to switch the document protection off.

Once again, thanks a lot for your input!

Good night

Christian
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any possibility to modify meta tags and links in TagEditor?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »