Thread poster: Valentini Mellas
Valentini Mellas
Valentini Mellas  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:48
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 7, 2004

This question might be really easy for more experienced users... I use Trados 5.0 and in my current document I have sentences repeating themselved but when I press the button of Set/Close Open NExt/Get shouldn't Trados recognize the sentence (they are completely identical) and replace it? ... Or Trados does not do something like that ?

Thank you for your patience, time and valuable advice!

Valentini

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:48
English to German
+ ...
Terms or sentences? Apr 7, 2004

Hi Valentini,
You did not specify which type of document you're working on - I assume it's MS Word.

Valentini Mellas wrote:

This question might be really easy for more experienced users... I use Trados 5.0 and in my current document I have sentences repeating themselved

I'm confused here - your title refers to terms, not sentences. Could you please clarify?

but when I press the button of Set/Close Open NExt/Get shouldn't Trados recognize the sentence (they are completely identical) and replace it?

Isn't the sentence recognised in the Workbench window? As you're explicitly referring to replacing sentences: is there already a translation in the segment (perhaps the document was pre-translated)?

If that's the case, you will need to manually execute a Get translation command. (The reason why Trados doesn't automatically replace a segment that's already in there is that there may be a reason for a different translation.) As the Trados template does not provide for a shortcut, it's a good idea to create one for this command (I use F12, for example).

HTH, Ralf

Valentini Mellas
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction about sentences/terms ... :) Apr 7, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Valentini,
You did not specify which type of document you're working on - I assume it's MS Word.

Yes Ralf I am working in Word 2000.

I'm confused here - your title refers to terms, not sentences. Could you please clarify?

My document indeed has about 40% repetition of sentences which initially were "new" hence when I pretranslated they were not translated. So I started translating. After manually entering the translation in the following segments (following meaning after that first "new" one) I wondered why Trados does not go in when I fo SEt/Close Open/Get (that little weird arrow that points both up and down).

I did look in the workbench and I did not see that it hit a match .. maybe I have done something wrong in the settings?

If that's the case, you will need to manually execute a Get translation command. (The reason why Trados doesn't automatically replace a segment that's already in there is that there may be a reason for a different translation.) As the Trados template does not provide for a shortcut, it's a good idea to create one for this command (I use F12, for example).

Well for a manual macro creation you got me because I have no clue how to do something like that.

Any help is really appreciated and thank you again for your time!

Valentini

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why pretranslate? Apr 7, 2004

Hi again,
My document indeed has about 40% repetition of sentences which initially were "new" hence when I pretranslated they were not translated.

Is there any particular reason why you pretranslated the document? Depending on your settings, the pretranslation process copies the source into the target segments when there's no match - this is rather cumbersome when working with the document.
The main purpose of the pre-translation function (as I see it) is to set the segmentation for translators not using Trados.

So I started translating. After manually entering the translation in the following segments (following meaning after that first "new" one) I wondered why Trados does not go in when I fo SEt/Close Open/Get (that little weird arrow that points both up and down).

I'm familiar with the command.
When you mention that you manually enter the translation in the following segments, can you describe this in more detail? Have you tried the Get Translation command?

I did look in the workbench and I did not see that it hit a match .. maybe I have done something wrong in the settings?

Is View - Show Translation activated in the Workbench?

Well for a manual macro creation you got me because I have no clue how to do something like that.

No need to create a macro - that's already there. But you can only use it by clicking on the Trados button showing a down arrow (3rd from the left), or via the Trados menu.

Assigning a keyboard shortcut is a Word function: Tools - Customize - Keyboard. Choose Macros and search for tw4winGetTranslation.Main, then you can assign a shortcut.

HTH, Ralf

Valentini Mellas
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I got it this time ... Apr 7, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Is there any particular reason why you pretranslated the document? Depending on your settings, the pretranslation process copies the source into the target segments when there's no match - this is rather cumbersome when working with the document.
The main purpose of the pre-translation function (as I see it) is to set the segmentation for translators not using Trados.

Good question .. I thought it would actually help me if I pretranslated and knew how much of the text hit 100% or so from the TM.

I'm familiar with the command.
When you mention that you manually enter the translation in the following segments, can you describe this in more detail? Have you tried the Get Translation command?

Manually meaning that I went in the target segment (after I opened it) and inserted the translation and the did the set/closeopen/get thingie

Is View - Show Translation activated in the Workbench?

Yeap!

I see what you are saying .. so if I had not pretranslated the document but each time did a "Get translation" then I would not have the problem?

Meaning that if my text said :"Andy goes to school. He stays there for 10 hours. He then goes to his second school. He stays there for 10 hours."
If I do Open - translate first sentence - go to second sentence and translate and then for the third sentence I would do Get Translation and it should find the previous occurence and insert it ?

I am sorry if this thread is a bit "fuzzy" but I just finished a legal translation and I have not slept for almsot 24 hours and this headache happened too ... Again thank you for your time

Valentini

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Minimum match value? Apr 8, 2004

You could check your minimum match value. In Workbench, go to Options/Translation Memory Options/Minimum Match Value, set it at a lower percentage and confirm. It could be that this value is currently set at 100% so only absolutely identical sentences are recognized.

HTH

[Edited at 2004-04-08 06:18]

Valentini Mellas
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Apr 8, 2004

Vesna Zivcic wrote:

You could check your minimum match value. In Workbench, go to Options/Translation Memory Options/Minimum Match Value, set it at a lower percentage and confirm. It could be that this value is currently set at 100% so only absolutely identical sentences are recognized.

HTH

[Edited at 2004-04-08 06:18]

I trashed the pretranslated file and started again and changed the calues as you say and it worked charms. I feel a bit embarassed for venting my frustration on something that ended up being so simple..

Thank you for taking the time to help me out !

Valentini

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.0 - Term replacement question

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »