Thread poster: Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
Local time: 19:58
English to Danish
+ ...
Apr 11, 2004

Hi all, I'm new here and I'm new to Trados. I just installed Trados Freelance 6.5, and after reading the Workbench users' guide I have some questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

Generally, what I'm confused about is the difference between how the TM is updated if I translate through Workbench, if I clean up a document, and if I import another TM into my TM.

For instance, if I translate a document through Workbench, later make some changes without Workbench an
... See more
Hi all, I'm new here and I'm new to Trados. I just installed Trados Freelance 6.5, and after reading the Workbench users' guide I have some questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

Generally, what I'm confused about is the difference between how the TM is updated if I translate through Workbench, if I clean up a document, and if I import another TM into my TM.

For instance, if I translate a document through Workbench, later make some changes without Workbench and finally clean the document up with the "update TM" option chosen, will the changed segments from the document then be updated (changed like in the document) in the TM, or will they be added as new segments? Especially if my TM allows multiple target segments for each source segment the question is complicated! In this case it seems impossible that the changes in the document should be transferred to the segments in the TM - the only solution must be to add the changed segments to the TM, filling it up with discarded target segments - because how can Trados "know" which of the several target segments to the source segment in question should be changed? All Trados can "see" is that the TM already contains a segment with the source segment found in the document that it is cleaning up, but if that segment already has, say, 2 target segments, none of which fit the changed target segment found in the document during clean-up, how can Trados know which of the two already existing target segments in the TM was the one used in the document before it was changed, which is the one that should be changed?

Does it make any difference if I make changes through Workbench instead of directly in the already translated Word document? I mean, is the TM updated the same way if I open an already translated sentence in Workbench (and get a 100% match), make my change and close the segment again, as if I make the change directly in the Word document and let the TM be updated during clean-up?

Another question is if it's possible to set a certain attribute or text field for segments imported from another TM? I'm planning to have one TM that should contain all my segments, and when I receive a small topic-specific TM from a customer to be used for a certain translation, I would like to import it into my own TM so that I can get the advantage of both the customer's TM and my own. But can I mark the imported segments with a certain attribute or text field so that I can later see that the segments are not "my own" but were imported in connection with customer X and topic Y and should be double-checked before use?

This is complicated stuff - which makes the questions hard to write, too! I hope you can understand my questions and that someone will be able to answer! Thanks in advance.

Yours,
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie questions reg. Workbench - how is TM updated under various circumstances

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »