Word will not open
Thread poster: Kathryn McFarland
Kathryn McFarland
Kathryn McFarland
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 20, 2004

Help! When I try to open Word 2000 the initial blue box comes up and then the grey outline, but no toolbars or blank page. I suspect this has something to do with TRADOS 5 freelance. I have checked the templates but these seem to be in the right place. Does anyone have any ideas? - they would be greatly appreciated.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:35
English to German
+ ...
Normal.dot? Apr 21, 2004

Hi Kathryn,
Help! When I try to open Word 2000 the initial blue box comes up and then the grey outline, but no toolbars or blank page.

Have you tried opening Word by double-clicking on winword.exe?

I suspect this has something to do with TRADOS 5 freelance.

...why?

I have checked the templates but these seem to be in the right place. Does anyone have any ideas? - they would be greatly appreciated.

Try renaming your normal.dot template (the generic Word template) into something like normal.old, thus forcing Word to re-create it.

HTH, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:35
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In case you played with footnotes and Trados Apr 21, 2004

please read this article:
http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=762

HTH
Kind regards
Jerzy

Kathryn McFarland
Kathryn McFarland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf Apr 21, 2004

Thanks very much for the ideas. Unfortunately Word still refuses to open. I´m going to take my computer to an expert tomorrow.
Thanks again,
Kathryn
Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Kathryn,
Help! When I try to open Word 2000 the initial blue box comes up and then the grey outline, but no toolbars or blank page.

Have you tried opening Word by double-clicking on winword.exe?

I suspect this has something to do with TRADOS 5 freelance.

...why?

I have checked the templates but these seem to be in the right place. Does anyone have any ideas? - they would be greatly appreciated.

Try renaming your normal.dot template (the generic Word template) into something like normal.old, thus forcing Word to re-create it.

HTH, Ralf

Kathryn McFarland
Kathryn McFarland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy Apr 21, 2004

Thanks for you help. I read the article and did what it suggested, but to no avail. Will take the computer to a fix-it man tomorrow.
Thanks again,
Kathryn
Jerzy Czopik wrote:

please read this article:
http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=762

HTH
Kind regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word will not open

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »