https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/20743-exporting_tm_from_trados_60_to_trados_5.html

Exporting TM from Trados 6.0 to Trados 5?
Thread poster: Irina Popova
Irina Popova
Irina Popova  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:10
Member (2011)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Apr 29, 2004

Hi,

I use Trados 5 Freelance. A good client of mine has sent me TMs reportedly of version 6.0. I can't open the files.
Is it possible to export TM from Trados 6.0 into Trados 5.0 format? Or any other trick that me and my client could apply?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:10
English to German
+ ...
Export/import works between versions Apr 29, 2004

Hi,
No tricks required - just ask your client to export the TM; you'll be able to import the file into a TM created under T5.0.

HTH, Ralf

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
One possible trick Apr 29, 2004

Hello,

it is possible, that you buy the new version

With kind regards

Hans

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Make sure it's in .txt Apr 29, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi,
No tricks required - just ask your client to export the TM; you'll be able to import the file into a TM created under T5.0.

HTH, Ralf

I agree, but make sure that the export is in .txt format and not in .tmx format, otherwise it may not work.

Irina Popova
Member (2011)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TXT Apr 29, 2004

Thank you all for the help.
I asked the client to export the TM. What I got was a TXT file, which I tried to import, but my Trados couldn't recognize any TU in it, although the analysis was made successfully....

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check the language codes Apr 29, 2004

Hi "Comtrans",
(It would be nice to have a name to talk to...)

Thank you all for the help.
I asked the client to export the TM. What I got was a TXT file, which I tried to import, but my Trados couldn't recognize any TU in it, although the analysis was made successfully....

Er... how could you analyse anything if the import didn't work?

The most common cause for import problems is a language code mismatch: if your TM is set to UK English ("EN_GB" in the export), but your customer's export contains units from US English ("EN_US"), the import will fail, as the language codes don't match.

Could this be the problem?
Best regards, Ralf

Irina Popova
Member (2011)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: TXT Apr 29, 2004

Hi, Ralph,

It\'s Irina, actually

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Er... how could you analyse anything if the import didn\'t work?

That\'s the funny part. First I tried to import the TXT file. The result was: \"Import finished successfully. 0 TU read, etc...\". I followed your advice regarding the language pairs, but without success.
Then, I went to Tools-Analyse menu, added the same TXT file and ran the analysis. It \"finished successfully without errors\" and produced a valid log file.

Regards,

Irina

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What are the language pairs? Apr 29, 2004

Hi Irina,
That's the funny part. First I tried to import the TXT file. The result was: "Import finished successfully. 0 TU read, etc...".

Which means that your TM did not recognise the language pairs provided in the export file.

- Which are the language pairs in your TM?
- What are the codes shown in the export file (search for "TrU" to find the first TU in the file; what are the language codes shown after "Seg L=")?

Then, I went to Tools-Analyse menu, added the same TXT file and ran the analysis. It "finished successfully without errors" and produced a valid log file.

The Analyse function is used to check how much of a given file is already in the TM - makes no sense for an import.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting TM from Trados 6.0 to Trados 5?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »